General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Timing Chain Parts Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing Chain Parts Dilemma

I've been in the process of replacing the head gasket and timing chain components on my 1985 22r, and I've run into a problem with the parts that I purchased. I bought the 4 piece front end kit from engnbldlr, and as I was bolting on the oil pump and water pump to the timing cover I noticed that they didn't quite line up in a few places. I emailed tod and he said that he would just use some sealant and go ahead and use it, but if I would like to send it back, he could send me new ones. He also contacted the manufacturer and they said that they designed the timing cover to work with many brands of water pumps, so they adjusted the size of the mounting surface. Now I really was wanting to get things back together this week, so I don't really want to send the parts back, but I'm not 100% sure that these won't leak. Another idea that ran through my mind is just to forget about these parts and order aisin's from amazon for under $100, and have better peace of mind with the quality http://www.amazon.com/gp/cart/view.html/ref=gno_cart . I also checked to see if the engnbldr oil and water pumps fit better on the old timing cover, which they do, but the water pump mounting surface is really pitted, which tod thought would most likely leak. So sorry if this just seemed like a bunch of rambling, but at this point I'm really just tired of having my truck up on jack stands, and just need some help making a decision. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Timing Chain Parts Dilemma-timing-cover.jpg   Timing Chain Parts Dilemma-water-pump-2.jpg   Timing Chain Parts Dilemma-water-pump.jpg  

Last edited by JunkFanatic; 06-26-2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:37 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I would go with what Todd said .

You will be fine

Now if you had gaps between the mating surfaces After it was tighten to spec. then it would be quite a different story.

It is not like your dealing with high pressure
Old 06-26-2014, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
I would go with what Todd said .

You will be fine

Now if you had gaps between the mating surfaces After it was tighten to spec. then it would be quite a different story.

It is not like your dealing with high pressure
Yeah, that's true. Have you used their parts in the past?
Old 06-26-2014, 11:22 PM

Red face

I have been using Engine Builder parts since my First 22rec engine

I used to have some great emails between Ted and myself before Todd took over If I was closer I would have them do all my machine work as well.

The fact they offered to make good goes a long way
Old 06-27-2014, 07:09 PM

Yeah, what I heard about their great customer service is what made me purchase parts from them in the first place, and they have been very helpful over the past few weeks. Well I think that with what you're saying, and what Tod told me, that I am going to just go ahead and use the parts with sealant and see how it goes. My biggest concern was that since the two mounting surfaces were off, that maybe the head gasket and oil pan surfaces would be off as well, but I guess I'll find out.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:41 AM

Red face

Very easy to bolt on the timing cover without installing anything and look at how the top section fits.

I really think if this was a major problem Tod would have sourced another vendor for these parts.

The fact you were sharp enough to catch this issue at all says a lot in itself.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:07 PM

Okay, thanks. Yeah, hopefully early next week I'll have some time to get into the garage and check it out. Thanks