General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Thing you found out AFTER you owned your 4Runner for a while.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ctcost
Few more:

1) It won't let you engage the auto door locks unless the keys are out of the ignition.

2) sometimes it will lets you roll up the windows with no key in the ignition, sometimes it wont. Never the rear window though.

3) You can lock the rear window.

4) 4Runners are inside fog magnets. In the rain i have to turn on the from and rear heaters plus the rear window defroster to defrost to a level where I can drive.

5) you NEED rain deflectors on a second gen. Even a crack brings bucktloads!
There is a relay in the power window circuit that allos this to happen. On my Japanese it will only work with the drivers door. Turn the runner off and take the key out open the drivers door and I can roll up/down any window less the back window until I close the the drivers door.....One of my friends at Toyota Japan told me this was so the driver could roll up any window left down by a passenger before locking the doors......They also told me that the delay is three minutes to open the drivers door....once the door is open it will work until the door is closed again.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by cubuff4runner
I found that my wallets empty since I bought it and every time I get a few bucks in my wallet the 4Runner steals it.

I second that. To the FULLEST extent.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
1. The center console has that little compartment under the arm rest, I didn't know that was there for about year.

2. The passenger power window switch on the driver's side is NOT suppose to light up.

What else have you found after you owned your 4Runner for a while?

not to rain on your parade, the pass window switch on the drivers master control on my 93 lights up.

lee
Old 07-31-2005, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by leebee
not to rain on your parade, the pass window switch on the drivers master control on my 93 lights up.

lee

All four switches on the drivers panel light up on mine....Plus the drivers window has the auto up/down deal press it once and all the way down or all the way up.....
Old 07-31-2005, 07:59 PM

while designing my subwoofer box i was baffled to find that the two rear wheel humps are two different shapes... really confused me at the time.

And I have also learned that my car gets jealous when I lust after another car... when the hemi jeeps came out I said to my friend "That might be the only SUV that i'd trade my rig in for" We exited blockbuster to find that Shirley did not start.... then i begged her... come on baby... i was just kidding... and there she went.

Also, my check engine light comes on and off all the time.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:20 PM

Gotchya dragon. That's a good idea to have the delay set like that. Other day my brother opened up the door as I was rolling up the window and it stopped. First time I noticed it would stop too....hehehe

Originally Posted by dragon564
There is a relay in the power window circuit that allos this to happen. On my Japanese it will only work with the drivers door. Turn the runner off and take the key out open the drivers door and I can roll up/down any window less the back window until I close the the drivers door.....One of my friends at Toyota Japan told me this was so the driver could roll up any window left down by a passenger before locking the doors......They also told me that the delay is three minutes to open the drivers door....once the door is open it will work until the door is closed again.

Last edited by ctcost; 07-31-2005 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ctcost
Few more:
3) You can lock the rear window.
5) you NEED rain deflectors on a second gen. Even a crack brings bucktloads!

Explain #3. I don't knwo how to "lock" it.

#5 is true on my 3rd gen, even with rain guards.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:27 AM

When you push the window lock button on the drivers' side arm rest it "locks" the rear window as well?
Old 09-13-2005, 07:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Found out my back up lights don't work... yeesh!
Found a TON of sand under the cargo area carpet...

Usually when I buy something new, I'm like a giddy little kid ravaging through everything on or around it...
Old 09-13-2005, 08:53 AM
Contributing Member

I didn't realize you could open the tailgate with the window down in any position unlike a couple of other SUVs I've been around which don't allow the window to be open at all to operate the tailgate.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:17 AM

I found that it's a bitch to change the oil on my 2000 4runner. Makes my honda seems some easy to change oil.

I also found that 4wd has more maintance than I thought

I also found that once you start to mod you can't stop

I have a rattle in the front grill and the passenger side seat (can't seem to figure out how to make it stop)

I found that the gas milage sucks (but that was our choice to buy a truck or suv)

Thats all for now
Old 09-13-2005, 10:38 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2000t4r
I also found that once you start to mod you can't stop
amen to that!

i learned last week that when a couch and a 4runner fight, the 4runner wins, but the owner almost goes to jail, for wreckless driving, endangering the lives of others, distuction of property ect. (GANGUS: take note, even tho i did a stupid, yet comical thing, i didnt come running to YT to start a thread telling everyone about it, i just mentioned in passing)

Last edited by ToferUOP; 09-13-2005 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:39 AM

Found

Yeah my 91 b/u lights dont' work either.

- I found out that even though everyone said I was a moron, the small windows in the rear doors are NOT the most expensive to replace. And really, why should they be more expensive?

- I found out that its hard to break that window, even with a hammer.

- I found more glass from that window three years later.

- When I bought my runner, I found out that all Toyota trucks smell the same.

- I found out that 3' of heavy snow vs a stock runner is still no problem. (Google: march 2003 blizzard colorado and see the images.) Right before I left for Iraq.

- I have NOT found out how to remove the clip that's mounted to my engine for my ignition cables. (Hint: help me!)
Old 09-13-2005, 10:51 AM

i think what he ment is that the auto lock button on our 3rd gens that lock out window controls for the passengers also lock out your ability to lower your back window from the dash board contol. i found this out on a trip to the Steens Mountains in Oregon and I was pissed.

i had accidently hit the button and then couldn't get the back window up, but then i parked the rig and used the key in the tailgate to get the window up (so at least i knew the motor wasn't blown) and then i noticed the button was pressed.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:35 AM
Contributing Member

About a month after I bought my 4Runner I found out what a hassle it is to change out a headlamp bulb . . . IF one follows the owner's manual, especially up north in December! Then the next time one went out I found out how much easier it is to just unbolt stuff behind the assembly and swap out the bulb that way.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:47 AM

toyotas :rockband:
after 5 mos of owning the 02, i got a flat and couldnt find the jack . good thing AAA knew where it was cuz 1 month later it happened again and this time i had to wake the sleeping baby :cry: and move the car seat to acsess it, now its on the other side.
also found out that it has a speed limiter, thought i blew the motor the first time i (tried) exceeded 108mph.
also that the moonroof only close 1/2 way, then u gotta release the switch and close it the rest of the way, i guess its good to know where the middle is?
TRAC sux when you cant turn it off w/o a mod! GO ANDYMOD!
also
Old 09-13-2005, 12:30 PM
Contributing Member

About a month after buying my 1st gen I realized that I needed to push the button on the steering wheel column to get the key out properly. Mine is so worn down that I can start the engine and just pull the key out

...and I was wondering why my battery was dying so fast too!
Old 09-13-2005, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by 2000t4r

I also found that 4wd has more maintance than I thought
Now I wonder if I am missing something...

We shall see if I get abused for posting about my tacoma when the title says 4runner...

It took me about 9 months and the owners manual from a 2001 tacoma (mine didn't come with one) to discover that my cupholder split in half and slid out to become two cup holders!

Took me about 6 months to realize that in the bottom rear of the center section of my 60/40 bench there is a small flap that opens to reveal a 3"x2"x2" space, I can't figure out what it is for, but it is there regardless...
Old 09-13-2005, 03:46 PM

That "space" is for the bottle jack that should be there, Intrepid
Old 09-13-2005, 04:12 PM

took a while to realize there's a spot on the gas "flap" to place your gas cap while filling -rather than setting it on the tire all the time.

Quick Reply: Thing you found out AFTER you owned your 4Runner for a while.