General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Stupid Questoin for Manual owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 09:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aviator
I don't know of anyway to open it up that would be safe considering it's full of fuel and residue and so forth...

well when i cut mine open i didnt use a torch or plasma cutters or anything!

i was actually timid to use my dremel to cut it, due to heat, so i just used a hacksaw in a vise, and went at it. no worries, i survived!
Old 09-30-2006, 10:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Getting back to the begining. I know exactly the little nothing vibe you get. I've had 3 22re in 2 85's and 1 87 and being a self taught novice mech I try and investigate everything I hear and feel odd. The toy know it all Jim at Protrux of san marcos said it's just normal and could make it alittle better by pluging some vacum line back under the hood on the passenger side. Just told me to re-connect it when smog time comes.

But I know what your talking about and to even bring it up makes it sound like theres more to it. It's hard to describe how slight, almost like your not sure your feeling anything. Every mech I've talked to just give me a little know it all grin and says don't worry about it it's just idling. Never had a problem with any of them.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:25 PM
Contributing Member

huh ??
Old 10-02-2006, 12:19 AM

Mind you this information is 18 years old from when I was in tech school in 88-89 for auto diagnostics. So it has some cobwebs on it....

It's a discussion on "balanced engine design" vs an "unbalanced design" Basiclly, your mechanics are right. There is nothing wrong with your engine. It's just the design of it. That is probably the "tick" you feel in the shifter stick. About the only effective means to correct it is to put on that heavier flywheel from Lake City Engineering for $350. Or you could check with NAPA auto locally to see if they could find you a less explensive but heavier flywheel.

Wikipedia has a pretty good explanation of it.follow this link

The straight-4 engine is not a balanced configuration. While a pair of pistons is always moving up at the same time as the other pair is moving down, piston speed - as with all internal combustion engines - is higher through the top 180 degrees of the stroke than the bottom 180 degrees, which leads to a secondary harmonic imbalance. While this is tolerable in a small low-displacement low-power configuration, the vibrations get worse with increasing size and power. Most straight-4 engines below 2.0 L in displacement rely on the damping effect of their engine mounts. Today, most engineers will make use of balance shafts above that limit. A 4-cylinder engine needs two balance shafts, rotating at twice the crankshaft frequency, to be smooth. Nonetheless there were several samples of larger straight-4s in production using no balance shafts, such as the Citroën DS 23 2347 cc engine that was a derivative of the Traction Avant engine, and the 1948 Austin 2660 cc engine used in the Austin-Healey 100 and Austin Atlantic. These engines were generally the result of a long incremental evolution process and their power was kept relatively low regarding their capacity.

Last edited by farmerj; 10-02-2006 at 12:51 AM.