General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Speaker questions 4Runner related

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 11:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Speaker questions 4Runner related

Mods, feel free to move this thread if it's contents do not match the topic.

I've searched, and found nothing on this subject.

I've been considering those "Q" Forms Kick panel upgrades for 2nd gen 4runners and pickups of comparable years. Those are those things you replace your factory kick panels with that allow you to mount either a 5.25" or a 6.5" component speaker setup.

Here's where my issue is:
The engine control computer is on the passenger side just under the kick panel, and there is a fairly substantial fuse panel right near the driver's side panel. I know speakers have fairly powerful magnets on them, and that power is amplified when power is supplied to them. I also know that electronics and high power magnets cannot coexist peacefully.

Will the magnets on the speakers within that close of a proximity to the engine computer cause a malfunction, or even damage to it? From what it looks like, the magnet will be within 2-3" of the computer.

I know magnets harm/kill electronics if you get close enough. I was at a bass(that's stereo bass, not the fish) competition, and I got inside of this van with like 18 subs, and about 15-20K watts with earplugs. My cell phone came within about 8 inches of one of the magnets, and after that, the back light never worked again, it wouldn't charge completely, and about 1/3 of my contacts were erased.

Could that happen to my 4Runner's computer?
Old 04-11-2008, 03:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well from what i have read about the Q Forms. You definitely would want to move your ECM away from it due to the magnetic field. Just common sense to keep sensitive electrical devices away from large magnetic fields
On another note i always wondered if they still left access to the fuse panel on the drivers side with the speakers being down there.
http://www.qlogicenclosures.com/c-3976-ql-k4002.aspx
On q logic's site it shows a picture of the drivers side in what appears to be a Toyota and there is no access to the fuse panel.
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...00287&g=182850
Better picture of that style of Q Form on Crutchfield.
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...F&tp=404&avf=N
I like the design of this one but ... carbon fiber.. i don't think so
It would suck having to remove the entire Q Form to gain access to the fuse panel. May want to inquire about that with Q Logic.

Last edited by Workhorse; 04-11-2008 at 03:54 AM.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting questions. Is that where the ECU is, I remember seeing a computer box thing there on mine, but only vaguely? I'm not familiar with the Q form, but from the pics I think you would be ok on the 5" - 6.5" speakers. How many watts are you planning to pump through them? The magnets themselves won't be of bother as they can not induce electricity unless they are moving around in relation to the circuits. (Which case they won't be if mounted.) It is the moving coils inside and changing electrical fields in the coils that could induce electricity. Most of this energy though will be absorbed by the magnet as the speaker moves. As far as the fuse panel I wouldn't worry about induced currents there. But yeah it would be a good thing to have access to the fuse box!
On another note, besides moving the ECU you might could look into adding some type of electrical shielding around the ECU. The metal box that it sits in helps it in this regard.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the info, but does anyone have these?

Also, does anyone know if the magnets/magnetic field would affect anything.

I'm hoping to put around 75-120watts(each) through the speakers RMS, depending on what kind of deal I can get on some speakers/amp, Maybe even closer to 150 a piece.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
have you checked out caraudio.com? there is tons of people there with kick panel speaker setups.