General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Solid axle ride quality, stability, and safety - questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solid axle ride quality, stability, and safety - questions

I'm thinking about looking for a 4runner again, but i'm not sure what i should look for in the front suspension.

I know that the IFS system is said to have better ride quality and it handles better on the road, but...

I'm wondering how much better it really is. If the Solid Axle is not bad, I think i'd be happier with it, because it would probably be considerably more capable off-road in stock form (please correct me if i'm wrong on that. i'm assuming the flex in stock trim is considerably better) I'm not asking to compare the offroad capabilities, as that is a newbie question even more...and ive seen pics of IFS in action. i havent seen a for-sure stock SA truck though...if someone could link me to a pic (of a STOCK one) that would be cool. i do know its better though.

If i do get a 4runner it would be used for a daily commute, about 8 miles there and back, and the occasional romp on forest/logging trails and possibly out on the beach, but I'd definitely like to do some adventuring into the hills....

I suppose IFS would be sufficient for this, and i'd probably buy a IFS yota, but there's a SA 4runner around for sale and i was thinking about it, and weather it would be a good idea for someone like me to buy... I'd like to know that my SA truck is more capable than an IFS should i come across a rather difficult obstacle, but i've never driven a 4runner nor a solid axle vehicle before so i dont know what to expect... should i avoid the older, solid axle truck?

I'm not an offroad junkie - yet. i just wanted to see how the SA would compare in terms of road-worthyness. and i know there are SA trucks on the road everywhere but every truck has its own quirks, and if toyota dropped the design, maybe it was for a pretty good reason in respect to road handling I.E. ford - they still use SA in bigger trucks... and i'd imagine IFS could really help out a small truck on the streets...possibly making the SA predecessor obsolete, or even dangerous in comparison? i need opinions...

Last edited by Figit090; 05-26-2007 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:55 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
From reading your description, you don't NEED a SFA. IMHO, in BONE STOCK trim, IFS will outperform the SFA rigs. The BONE STOCK SFA rigs don't flex that well and can't fit as large tires.

IFS rigs have a wider track than the SFA rigs. The newer rigs have a much higher level of trim quality and "creature comforts".

The gap widens dramatically as the money for mods increases. Spending a very little amount of money (new springs) will bring the SFA at least equivalent to IFS, a little more (high steer) will put you way ahead of IFS.

I would spend the money on a newer, likely to be more reliable IFS rig.

Last edited by tc; 05-26-2007 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:07 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i agree with tc.... from the sounds of it IFS will be what your looking for... if your not planning on modifying it too much, stock IFS will be better then stock SFA in most tests.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks a lot guys. that helps. i had thoughts about each, but they really weren't worth jack since i've never driven or experienced these kinds of vehicles, in either type of suspension. (i hope SO much that i like the toyota trucks/runners...) in fact I've driven very few vehicles, and never offroad. soo its a new realm for me.

and tc, i was hoping to get info about the trim and 'creature comforts' because of the truck's age...and i'm glad you mentioned that.

its the same with my supra, the 1986.5 year is nice, but inside, even though its clean and not worn out, a 1992 interior is nicer in terms of subtle shapes, it has different things here and there, and just looks and feels newer. I was really worried about getting a bare-bones truck without the conforts and nice cloth or interior parts, and i'll probably rule out the older trucks. if i remember from what i read the sr5 package didnt come in until later on... i'd like to get an 88 or an 89 probably.

and i suppose a SAS would be an option should i ever get deep enough into the hobby to want or need that kind of articulation...

thanks for the quick help! just what i was looking for.

Figit