General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic
View Poll Results: What mod would you do next?
Front bumper with winch
53.06%
Exo cage
6.12%
Crossover steering with high steer & hydo assist, rear disc brakes
31.29%
42" Iroks & beadlocks
4.76%
Other (please specify)
4.76%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Poll on my next big mod

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 07:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Poll on my next big mod

Since I bought my 1985 4Runner I had a budget set aside for my build. Well, I am nearing the end of the set-aside build fund and I am having a little difficulty choosing the next mod. As this will be the last "major" mod for a while, I wanted to get some input on what others would do.

This said, I want to thank everyone at YT for the best Toyota 4x4 board on the net period. I have learned a lot in my short time here & continue to learn more every day in my quest to build my truck.

Please keep in mind when voting that I have no welding or fabrication experience & will most likely pay labor for the mod listed.

Thanks & feel free to offer opinions & why you would do your suggestion.

This is where your vote counts!

Old 06-20-2006, 08:10 PM
Contributing Member

I know hydro is misspelled in the poll...Mod help please?
Old 06-20-2006, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i say winch and bumper. better to be able to get unstuck than be stuck and have a lot of great parts.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:34 PM

winch/bumper
Old 06-20-2006, 10:47 PM
Contributing Member

I know Wabbit has an opinion....lol

(J/K Wabbit)
Old 06-20-2006, 11:47 PM

A big, black, beefy bumper... with a winch.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
get a nice big front bumper for that thing so when someone pulls out in front of you when u are going 50+ mph with stock brakes u can just knock the piss out of them and be like hey its your fault .....naww j/k but for real you do need a bummper for that thing....as well as a winch!
Old 06-21-2006, 11:39 AM

bumper n' winch, fer shizzle
Old 06-21-2006, 11:51 AM

Roll Protection and 5 Point Harness...Flat out.

My 2 Cents.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:55 PM

My vote goes to high-steer and brakes, steering and turning are two functions you don't want to be without. There should really be NO question, you need to upgrade steering and brakes for safety. I am surprised your steering hasn't let go yet to be honest. Bumpers are ok, but you are so tall anyway, what are you going to hit? I mean really!
Also, are you locked? If not, that should be next.

It seems to me that while your truck is big and cool looking you are skimping on the basics, the small stuff that will leave you high and dry when it lets go, which it will wheeling with tires that size.
-steering
-brakes
-front spring hanger
-reinforcement around steering box

Also, height is good, but flex is better. I have never seen any flex pics, if it doesn't flex, you should be looking for better springs and shocks, lack of flex will cause a roll sure as hell.
Dual cases or a crawler gear will really help on the trail with tires that size!

Last edited by Intrepid; 06-21-2006 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Intrepid
My vote goes to high-steer and brakes, steering and turning are two functions you don't want to be without. There should really be NO question, you need to upgrade steering and brakes for safety. I am surprised your steering hasn't let go yet to be honest. Bumpers are ok, but you are so tall anyway, what are you going to hit? I mean really!

It seems to me that while your truck is big and cool looking you are skimping on the basics, the small stuff that will leave you high and dry when it lets go, which it will wheeling with tires that size.
-steering
-brakes
-front spring hanger

Also, height is good, but flex is better. I have never seen any flex pics, if it doesn't flex, you should be looking for better springs and shocks, lack of flex will cause a roll sure as hell.
Dual cases or a crawler gear will really help on the trail with tires that size!

It flexed pretty good at Tellico last month according to those that were there, while I agree that it can be better, why would I "re-lift" it at this point when money could be better spent? (ex. 30 spline Longfields which should be here tomorrow).

The stock steering has held up probably due to me going easy on it. On the trail, if it gets bound up, I back off & take another line.

It's locked rear, front will be after steering is complete.

I like the way you think though, we actually agree more than I will admit because I don't want to influence the poll.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:36 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Intrepid

-steering
-brakes
-front spring hanger

(ditto)

Wabbit has been on vacation...now I'm frickaseed (sunburn).

All that other stuff is pointless if you can't steer or stop.

Old 06-21-2006, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

Forgot to mention in my last post that vented rotors & extended brake lines are also being shipped.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:43 AM
Contributing Member

According to your Build-up thread, there was no front locker. I think this would be the most bang for your buck when it comes to wheeling. you have a spooled rear 9". Get an ARB unit for the front, and you can really go places with your current setup.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:18 AM
Contributing Member

with a high center of gravity like that, i'd probably go for the exo cage before the bumper/winch. i'd rather save myself & any passengers if I roll than worry about getting unstuck with the winch.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:54 PM

I am on the steering and brakes bandwagon, it makes the most sense!

The exo would be cool but in my opinion the exo and front bumper are mutually inclusive, you can't really do the exo without the bumper and the bumper would have to be modified later for the exo if you do it now.

Your boggers look to have plenty of life left, I vote that you wear them out before trying to run 42's on a Toy front end with a full bodied rig + exo.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by 1985 4Runner
It flexed pretty good at Tellico last month according to those that were there, while I agree that it can be better, why would I "re-lift" it at this point when money could be better spent? (ex. 30 spline Longfields which should be here tomorrow).

The stock steering has held up probably due to me going easy on it. On the trail, if it gets bound up, I back off & take another line.

It's locked rear, front will be after steering is complete.

I like the way you think though, we actually agree more than I will admit because I don't want to influence the poll.
If it flexes well, then don't re-lift, I wouldn't suggest that by any means. I mean, if it rides like a brick, then it is time for new suspension regardless of how tall you are.
As far as the suspension goes, go through and get rid of the stuff that likes to break, like the front hanger, which is weak and the front frame has a tendency to break off at the hangers from what I have read, so you might consider a new front hanger. If you have blocks in the rear (I don't remember) then get rid of them. Like I said, the basic but important stuff.
Longfields are definitely a requirement with that size tire, there is no doubt about that either.
You also might spend the money and buy a small 110v welder so that you can start fabbing/repairing stuff up on your own. Making bumpers, welding hangers, cutting rear fenders, etc, etc.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:20 PM
Contributing Member

So it there a front locker or not? If there isn't, I'd say get a front locker. If you do have one, I vote for the steering/brakes.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:19 PM
Contributing Member

No locker, I think steering is going to get the remaining funds.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by 881stGenRunner
get a nice big front bumper for that thing so when someone pulls out in front of you when u are going 50+ mph with stock brakes u can just knock the piss out of them and be like hey its your fault .....naww j/k but for real you do need a bummper for that thing....as well as a winch!
I think he'd probably go airborn with those big @$$ tires straight over the car...

Quick Reply: Poll on my next big mod