General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

opinions: need new AT tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
opinions: need new AT tires

98% on road, very mild off road, a little ice now and again.

Wet weather abilities high on list. Want longevity and good price, but still want to hit a logging road every now and then. Ga. Red clay.

Choices: Procomp AT, Bridgestone Revos, General Grabber AT2, firestone destination AT, GY Wrangler silent armor.

Been looking at tire rack till I cant see straight. Help a brother out.

90 4 runner 4x4. Mostly stock but have added child seats, hence need good traction on road.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:47 PM

Pro Comp AT

I am running the Pro Comp AT. I was very impressed in the snow last winter. I did not have a single problem. The rain was fine as well. The only place where I am not completely confident with them is in thick mud. They also have a 50,000 mile guarantee. With that said, I will probably go with BFG's for my next set, simply due to size options. By the way, I have the 33 x 12.5 x 15 set. Good luck with the decision.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spinnbait
I am running the Pro Comp AT. I was very impressed in the snow last winter. I did not have a single problem. The rain was fine as well. The only place where I am not completely confident with them is in thick mud. They also have a 50,000 mile guarantee. With that said, I will probably go with BFG's for my next set, simply due to size options. By the way, I have the 33 x 12.5 x 15 set. Good luck with the decision.
No AT style tire is going to perform well in thick mud.
Search the forums.
A far amount of people, including myself, have reported hydroplaning problems with the BFG AT's.

Fred
Old 09-24-2007, 08:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The BFGs will have issues hydroplaning in the wider size.

I had zero issues with my stock 235/75's, then major issues with 33x12.50's, and now zero issues with 33x9.50.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:23 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Look at the Dunlop Radial Rover RVXT. Mine have over 30k miles and are barely showing any wear. They are Severe Snow Service rated, too!
Old 09-24-2007, 09:23 PM

Not listed in your options but I run Yokohama Geolanders the AT+II on my 87 and the AT/S on my 01. Both do really well but I think the AT+II are a bit louder (nowhere near MT's) than the AT/S. Both have been in snow and on ice, in mud and rain not to mention alot of AZ sand and performed well. when I got my AT/s last year Yokohama was running a 30 days, no questions asked return policy.

But like all tire threads we will all recomed somthing different.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:03 AM
Contributing Member

If you don't really off road and your vehicle is a DD then give the yok Geolandar AT-S a try. My Nittos perform great on road and off road they give BFGs a run for a lot less money but still are a bit much for something that will be primarily a pavement pounder.

If youn truly aren't going to off road much then pick a good tire for your daily needs and has good control in the wet and decent grip in the dry.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:30 AM

Another vote for the Yokohama Geolander AT-S. I've only taken them offroad once since I got them but they did pretty well. I had the AT-II on my 4runner previously and they did fine in the snow and mud.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:33 AM

revo
Old 09-25-2007, 07:57 AM

Another vote for the Nitto
Old 09-26-2007, 08:42 PM

I cant run nittos. I need a 15" rim.

Im leaning toward FS Destination AT due in large to tire racks survey.

Any opinions?
Old 09-27-2007, 07:07 AM

I recommend Revo's, they are an excellant, excellant tire for wet weather, just the way they are built, good water channels.

The Goodyear Wrangler ATS SilentArmor is also a nice one, my girlfriends Wrangler has them and they do excellant in the snow/ice. They run circles around my revos but are not so hot with water traction. At least, not when compared to the revos.

Lot of decent tires out there, I too have heard good things of the nittos. Its up to you but again, I love my Revos! Don't worry about any wet weather traction with these. They aren't any good when you get in the mud but do fine for dry runs.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:55 AM
Contributing Member

i have the geolanders and love them. Only bad thing is they like to hold onto little rocks
Old 09-27-2007, 08:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yokohama make some GREAT tires. nice and tough. we sell em, and we've never had a single complaint against them. we have heard about BFG's hydroplaning and lots of noise. we've also heard about wranglers gripping on a turn and flipping the car, but im pretty sure that was user error.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:52 AM

pathfinder AT tires. its a discount tire brand. they look like a bfg AT but they ride way better then the bfg. they also have a good warranty.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:39 PM

My set now are Revos. Id like to buy them again but they cost too much right now. Also, I did not get the mileage that I wanted. At around 45000, one is straight out bald, the other 3 are into the wear indicators.

I loved the wet weather traction of these revos. What little offroading I did worked ok. I just wanted that wet traction of the revos with maybe a little better ability on ice and less price, while still providing the grip for the few offroad jaunts I do.

I had Michelin ATX AT before the revos. Wet weather traction sucked, but I did not know how bad untill I got the revos. Revos will allow me to run past 70 in the rain around here. ATX ATs would get squirly beyond 55. The ATX went close to 90k miles though. Revos maybe 45k miles.

I looked at the yokos also. The tire rack surveys and user reviews had more neg points in the areas that I wanted to be high and positive, so the firestone won out because of more positive points and comments in my areas of need.

If I actually wheeled more, I think my choice would be different, but since Im really on road 98% of the time, and will transport my kids a bit, Im looking for real sticky wet weather tires.

Thanks all for the opinions and thoughts. Now I need to find a good hookup and cheapest price on those firestones.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:14 AM

Just got my Nittos put on after owning BFGs and Revos and I vote for the Nittos but a close second are the Revos.

Good luck dude!!!!!!!!!!

LSUSYCO
Old 09-28-2007, 09:32 AM

A tire that I have sworn by for years that I do not here talked about hardly at all is the Mastercraft Courser A/T they have excellent treadwear and the traction in just about anything I could put them through is quite commendable they also have a Courser M/T
Old 09-28-2007, 10:03 AM

I ran Procomps last winter on my 90 4runner. They were great in the snow and over the summer. Only downside is that they arnt the greatest in the rain(Tend to slide). I have them in 31". I have Toyo Open Countrys on my 97 and so far they are great all around(havnt had them in the snow yet though).
Old 09-28-2007, 10:21 AM

if you guys love the GEOLANDERS then you need to check out KUMHO AT's. they are rated higher than the GEOLANDER atII and the AT-s's... nothing but great comments about them. they will go on my truck next, they are cheaper than the yokos too. i drive 98% highway and 2% offroad..

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....nture+AT+KL-78

Quick Reply: opinions: need new AT tires