General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Oil Change by Toyota Dealer gone wrong

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Change by Toyota Dealer gone wrong

Hi all,

I took my 2004 4runner to the dealer to get my oil changed and the dealer forgot to put oil back in the vehicle. It broke down about 1/4 mile away from the dealership. Dealer has admitted the mechanic forgot to put oil in the vehicle. Called me up 3 days later to tell me all diagnostic checks appear to be normal and to come pick the vehicle up. I balked because I was concerned there may be damage to the engine that their tests were not detecting. Dealer then offered to buy an extended warranty but after reading through the extended warranty it says it will not pay for damages resulting from negligence which this clearly was and it will not pay for damages resulting from low oil pressure or no oil. Since the dealer seems convinced there is nothing wrong with the vehicle, I offered to let them buy it back from me. I went to cars.com and averaged the 40 2004 4 runner sports and asked the dealer for that amount. Dealer wasn't interested, I then contacted Toyota corporate who has now referred this case to mediation. Mediation will be in the next 30 days. I bought the vehicle from this same dealership and have had all of my oil changes in the 22 months I have owned this vehicle done at the dealership. Vehicle has about 25k miles on it and has had at least 6 oil changes. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to deal with the dealer or what mediation is like? What do you think is fair in this case?
Old 09-01-2006, 07:38 PM

Have you negotiate to get another engine?

If the corporate do not cooperate, there is BBB.

Btw, my friend had a similar situation at Wal-Mart but they replaced his engine with a brand new one, and it was an 04 Matrix.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How did it "break down"? Die? Lock up engine? Loud knocking noises?

It sucks that it happened, some damage HAS occured, but it may not be catastrophic damage.

They at least need to comp you something. Free oil changes for life?
Old 09-01-2006, 08:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
that sucks guess the mechanic missed the day on how to do oil changes ... thats one reason i check the oil after getting a oil change on my moms truck i do all the oil chages on the other cars though

Last edited by Elton; 09-01-2006 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:16 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thus the reason I only take my vehicle to my mechanic and my trusted yota dealership (about the only stealership I would ever go to) or do the work myself.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Yoda
They at least need to comp you something. Free oil changes for life?

Isnt an oil change how he got here!!!!!!
Old 09-01-2006, 08:25 PM

Get a lawyer
Old 09-01-2006, 08:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by profuse007
Have you negotiate to get another engine?

If the corporate do not cooperate, there is BBB.

Btw, my friend had a similar situation at Wal-Mart but they replaced his engine with a brand new one, and it was an 04 Matrix.
i would consult an attorney to learn what your rights are in this case and the best way to go forward. usually the first consult is free. and in my opinion, better to pay a few hundred than the thousands you might lose if your engine goes south

bob
Old 09-01-2006, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by BeachRNR
Get a lawyer
I agree, if mediation fails you need to protect your ass ... because they are out to protect theirs.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:01 PM

One other alternative is to get the local news involved. Everyone likes those consumer reports stories of people getting ripped off.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BBB isn't going to do crap..
If mediation isn't binding and it doesn't cost you anything, there isn't any reason not to go.
Personally, I'd want: 1) A new motor.
2) A written warranty for a very long amount of mileage that covers any part in the motor remotely impacted by lubrication.

It's very possible that it got hot, seized, and cooled down enough to unseize..
If toyota wants to say that nothing is wrong with it they need to tear it down to make that determination.

I'd offer to let *another* dealer or 3rd party tear it down - inspect all bearings, mic all clearances, check the bore for scoring, etc... They've got no way to tell what sort of advanced wear has happened.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:16 AM
Contributing Member

1. hire a lawyer and have the lawyer do their magic.
2. make sure you document everything.
3. have the vehicle inspected at a 3rd party shop (dealership or a toyota mechanic) and inspect every moving part in the engine and drivetrain if it can be affected by the seized motor.
4. let the lawyer decide on what is the best course of action.

personally I would consult with the lawyer to try and get a replacement vehicle outright. once you replace a motor, the vehicle's resale value will diminish significantly because it is not the original motor so for the ease of mind I would say new vehicle with no out of pocket on your end. I would try to angle in the sense that this issue could have been a life threathening issue if the vehicle broke down on the middle of a highway causing a severe traffic collision with possible fatalities and injuries. luckily it sounds like you were safe when the vehicle broke down but the potential for a catastrophic disaster did exist due to their irresponsibility so I wouldn't let this one go easily.

anyway, hiring a lawyer will be your best bet. good luck and sorry for the bummer news.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:49 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Exclamation

I've been in a very similar situation with Toyota. Honest mistakes happen, but honest dealerships pay for their mistakes to your satisfaction and don't try to do what yours is doing IMO. It is obvious to me they don't care about repeat business customers cause I can imagine you are done with them, as I would be. They have insurance to cover their mistakes, make them use it and pay for a new vehicle.

Hire the best lawyer in town and get a NEW vehicle. The value of yours is done for now.

Mediation will likely be a "mediator" paid for with Toyota corporate dollars. Don't sign crap at mediation or agree to anything as they'll be taping it I'm sure. You can go listen and unless they offer you a NEW vehicle, retain an attorney. They screwed up and should pay for it so you don't lose a penny.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 09-02-2006 at 04:54 AM.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:37 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Mediation with Toyota is very fair with the Customer. Remember you didn't do anything wrong. They understand that. The fact that the vehicle stopped running is grounds for a new motor. The value of the vehicle will not be affected as much as you think as long as they install a new motor. I would explain to the Dealer that you are a reasonable guy and all you are asking for is to be treated fair. You took your vehicle in for the required oil change and have been doing so since new at that dealership and since they have admitted the Tech forgot to put oil in it and it DID breakdown you are within your rights to request a new motor. They also have the option of trading you out of it which would be cheaper for them. Mistakes happen and when they do the way they are resolved is what counts. Have you spoken with the General Manager and Owner of the store? They are usually more willing to take care of the situation than have to deal more crap. My policy here is if a customer has a problem my staff have the authority to resolve it up to and including giving away what ever it is. "If it gets to me it's Free" is my moto. Good luck and keep us posted. By the way keeping the Dealership name out of this is very smart until it gets resolved. You do not want to give them any reason to deny your claim.

Last edited by Strap22; 09-02-2006 at 05:39 AM.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:56 AM

The old saying goes, "If you want it done right,do it yourself". I have noticed that alot of dealers actually have their own,"Lube Techs". They're just the same kids that are working at Jiffylube not actual toyota trained techs. Unfortunatly people get in a hurry and forget things sometimes. I can name a few people that have forgotten to put the drain plug in before adding a couple quarts and then remembering.OOPS! On the note of BBB. The BBB is actually a company that people have to pay to become a member. If they don't pay to be one they don't care. I agree with the others though. If they won't fix it right. Get a lawyer. GoodLuck!
Old 09-02-2006, 07:43 AM

Lawyer.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:45 AM

Thanks for all of the advice. Mediation paperwork came Saturday so I will document the situation as they have asked. And if it comes to getting a lawyer, I will. I have a couple of specific questions for you guys, hope you can help.

1) The dealer is claiming there all diagnostic tests are saying the engine is fine and there is no damage. How do I counter this?
2) Is it fair to ask the dealer to buy this vehicle back? I averaged the asking prices of all 2004 4runner sports on cars.com and gave them that price.
3) Is my toyota warrantly void as a result of this mistake? The extended warranty would not cover anything as a result of this, just wondering if my original warranty is now void.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:55 AM

by the way, the engine did not seem to "seize" although I am no mechanic. It just quit and the vehicle shut down. The dealership is saying that there is a sensor in the engine designed to shut down when it detects low oil pressure. Wonder why it allowed the vehicle to be started 3 times, idle for over 5 minutes, then driven 1/4 mile though. I did not negotiate for a new engine because I am afraid this may cause other problems. I feel like this should not be my problem and that if the dealer is so confident there is nothing wrong with it, then they can buy it then try to resell it with this documented maintanance issue. It should not be my problem. Am I over reacting to the situation, if I am not being reasonable about this please tell me as I'm not in this business.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:17 AM

A diagnostic test can not tell the internal condition of the engine, and that is your main concern. A new engine would solve the problem, but then, I would think, you should recieve compensation for the reduced value of the vehicle (like a vehicle that has been in an accident). Also I would be concerned about anything being effected in the replacement, ie. wiring harness gets damaged, etc...

Last edited by firemedic; 09-05-2006 at 07:19 AM.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:46 AM

Lawyer. At the most-a new vehicle. At the minumum-a completely new engine.

Quick Reply: Oil Change by Toyota Dealer gone wrong