General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Newbie questions about SUV/Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie questions about SUV/Trucks

Just curious, what would you pick as an SUV to completely abuse the crap out of? I don't offroad my 4runner because my idea of going offroad is taking my dirtbike into the trails, catching big air, hitting whoops at 40mph, wheelies, etc. I think most truck guys think of offroading as slow crawling around on rock guardens and mudpits and stuff like that right?

I mean I see these lifted trucks but they are all riding on leaf springs and solid axles.. those aren't meant to take any kind of high speed abuse right?

When the Ford raptor first came out, I said to myself, finally a real offroading truck. Actually meant for taking jumps. So are there any other SUV's built like that? What happens when you do that kind of stuff to a normal truck/SUV? Do the control arms bend and engine breaks off it's mounts? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm a noob when it comes to offroading trucks.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It depends on how fast your going. If your taking whoops at more than 15 there probably will be some wear and tear. More than 25 you will likely break something.

My advice is get a sideXside or find a real cheap blazer and tear the crap out of it. I know some guys who bought one for 50 bucks killed it by doing what you just described and got 200 for the scrap metal.

PS: Jeeps work real real good to
Old 01-31-2011, 05:54 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
89-95 4Runner...

Mine had factory 4:56's and I kept a 235/75 on it...

It was quick, agile and I LOVED backing it in (ok, drifting) every chance I could

Those coil spring rears with a panhard bar had absolutely no (side to side) give.

Once you knew where and how to break the rear tires loose, you could snap and control the rear slide with ease... Or at least IME...

Only problem was, after a certain point you were committed.

lol, I jacked the rear up one time b/c the out-side tire had too much traction...

Let's just say that's a VARY interesting experience

That, and those T-Bar 4WD's were AWESOME. Simple and vary Heavy Duty for their designed intentions and purpose.

With their equal length control arms (Flat contact patch throughout the suspensions travel) IME they handled like slot cars.

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 01-31-2011 at 05:59 PM.