General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

need front axle advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 11:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need front axle advice

long story (see this thread for background) short:
• i shredded my front axle boots 3yrs. ago (they remained open for 1 yr. before i replaced the boots).
• my front left axle is definitely clicking in 4wd and now more so in 2wd.
•my top front left ball joint appears to be darn-near-gone, post 4wheel session showing in massive left jerky pulling.

From lots of conversation, time, and my thoughts:
• left axle is binding (as is becoming more evident in daily driving, stop, hard turn = click to clunck) not only in 4wd but in everyday driving.
• it's forcing the balljoint, especially when i aggravate the dying axle and go 4wheeling.
• it's been 27,000 miles since i ripped both front cv boots, and 15,000 since i cleaned, regreased & rebooted them.

Should i just buck up the cash, order a new front axle and replace it myself?

At this point i realize the main problem is most likely my front axle. i knew it would be an issue at some point since i destroyed the boots with only 1200 miles on the vehicle. I've also come to the conclusion, correct me if I'm wrong, that my axles will never likely be covered by toyota warranty, since they only ever go after the boots have been ripped.

EG replace the know issue axle and see if that fixes it.

Am i nuts?
Old 03-06-2008, 06:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Easy answer is remove the axle and check it out by hand to see if that's the problem (put the shaft in a vise then put both the inner and outer joint through their complete range of motion to see if you can feel any clicking or binding). If the axle is bad, it should be quite obvious to you using this method. Not sure about the warranty covering the axles. I know for a fact that boot replacements are not covered under warranty at my local Toyota dealership. I'd like to think that the axle itself would be if it goes bad, but who knows?
Old 03-06-2008, 08:20 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wish someone would sticky this, as it is EXACTLY the reason I say don't mess with replacing the boots, just replace the halfshaft/axle.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have spare shafts if you are looking for one
Old 03-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Contributing Member

I wish someone would sticky this, as it is EXACTLY the reason I say don't mess with replacing the boots, just replace the halfshaft/axle.
I knew at some point it would go. in cleaning, regressing, & rebootin' i was just delaying the inevitable for as long as possible. Anyway at this point it seems i need to take it to a mechanic just to take a look (it seems my fianc้e won't believe me, let it go till i do). So we'll see. it also seems she thinks it's ok to take it to someone and have them spend the time to figure out what's wrong then just do it yourself/take it elsewhere. I guess i'll just have to pay him for his time to make it right. ARG. (I digress.)

The intermittent nature of the symptoms is what is making this sooo frustrating. When it's obvious, IT'S obvious. Then it seems to fade and almost never happens when two people are in the car. however at this point from a stop, turning the wheel slightly and accelerating slowly I can get the (now) single pop from the front left.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:19 PM

buy a diamond front axle and do a sas its cheaper in the long run