General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

My Uncles 1995 Toyota Pickup

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 07:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Uncles 1995 Toyota Pickup

My Uncle since about 1993 off and on but mostly on has lived in Revelstoke BC, Canada, which is in the INterior of BC near some pretty serious passes and some pretty serious off the beaten path roads. In 1995 he bought a brand new Toyota Pickup - A 95 Xtracab Truck (Pickup) with the 3.0 V6, 4x4, Extended Cab in Silver, deluxe model. His truck is identical to mine, even in colour, except mine's a 93 as you can see. My uncle up until recently when he became a level 3 safety officer working at a dam, used his truck off the beaten path quite heavily working as a a faller (logging). He also used it for hunting and fishing as well. His truck has been through hell and high water.

Now I know some of you guys like to tote your offroad prowess and abilities with all your mods, lifts, and body armour when you head out on the trails. I'm talking about a guy that doesn't take his truck off road to test his and it's abilities just for the sake of "wheeling". He takes it off road for a real purpose. To put food on his table, both through making money and through hunting/fishing for fish and game. His truck has gone through some very serious winters in Northern Alberta and Revelstoke. He's had weeks on end where he had that truck in 4 hi and lo exclusively. He's maintaned it though mainly through a guys shop up in Revelstoke who has his Toyota Technician background, as well as the dealership down here where a family member of ours works at.

Now his truck, 14 years later with over 500,000 km's on it - he had a rebuild done at 300,000 km's because he wanted to keep it, and he's had other things go and break obviously, but the bottom line is this truck has proved it's worth and then some. It is a testament to Toyota's designers who build these things for people to go off the beaten path all over the world, that my uncle, who was formerly a Domestic/GM guy, but bought this truck new after many arguments with our family member who works with a dealership, now sings the praises of his Toyota. Also keep in mind his truck was pretty much stock from day one.

So My uncle has decided that now things have settled down for him and he has a steady job at one place, not off the beaten path anymore, that it's maybe time to move on, as much as I know he loves his truck. And I think at his age now (Early 50's) he really deserves it. So I'm curious what truck, new or used, that you think he should replace it with? Keep in mind he's not falling (logging) much anymore, but he still needs something that's good in the winter (pretty much any Toyota fits the bill here), but the bottom line is he needs a new(er) truck to replace the one he has. But I do know he IS leary about some of the newer Trucks Toyota has put out as far as toughness just because of some of the things he's seen with the 96 and up Tacoma that he doesn't like to hear. Remember that Toyota never built trucks as overengineered as those 1995 and earlier trucks were. Those trucks have true 1 ton fully boxed frames built with a half ton suspension, and they are built for off the beaten path with metal skid plates, transfer case, and fuel tank plates STANDARD (not an option like today's trucks in an "offroad package").

I was thinking a truck that might suit the bill might be a 2000-2006 V8 Access Cab Tundra 4x4 just because it has more creature comforts, it's a little more roomy, powerful, etc, plus I've heard some good things about their durability and they have good ground clearance, yet they're not overly large and they're a nice step up from a compact truck.

Thoughts?
Old 02-21-2009, 08:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What about a '95-'98 T100 with a 5vzfe? Good MPG/KMPL, Good power, Great reliability, more room, and not some of the less "truck-ish" features vehicles have now-a-days.
A Tundra would be a great truck, though.

What kind of things have he heard bad about the '96+ Tacos? '96-'04 were great. No head gasket issues (of course you should still be leary of those), no timing chains to worry about with the 3rz. Plenty of power out of either engine, around 150hp with the 3rz and 190 with the 5vzfe
Old 02-21-2009, 08:28 PM

Well My uncle never had any issues with his headgasket. His 95 wasn't under the HG campaign, either.

Only issue with the T100's is around here they are extremely difficult to find. I mean theres definately no surplus of Tundra Access Cab's although they can definately be found, but T100's are RARE up here. There's a few 95's for sale every so often with the V6 and extended cab, but hardly any 96-98's. Not a bad idea - I may run the idea past him. Never looked at a T100 frame though, are they fully boxed? I know the T100's do have a lot of parts in common with the pickups that's for sure.

My uncle working up with other fallers, outdoor professionals, etc. knows several other Toyota owners up there who own Trucks and he says the guys he knows with 96+ Tacoma's haven't stood up like his from what he's seen. And even a few guys he's talked to who owned Tacoma's who were former Pickup owners have attested to that. He's generally not a biased guy either for the most part, although I do know he loves his truck too.

Last edited by CoedNaked; 02-21-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a 4 runner or fj would fit the bill or does he like the truck bed?
a right hand drive landcruiser?? your in canada.. i would never buy another lhd vehicle
Old 02-22-2009, 07:25 AM

He needs a truck.