General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Making the Rear Slider More Secure?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Making the Rear Slider More Secure?

So, my buddy locked his keys in his truck today (88 Comanche). Not wanting to call the lock smith or FD/PD unless we needed to, we set about opening it ourselves. He bummed a wire hanger off our history teacher and tried to pop the lock with no sucess. I went to work on the slider, and I popped it in under a minute with nothing but the flat screw driver on my Leatherman without even causing any harm to the window.

I thought about it and took a look at mine, and the designs are very similar, meaning it would more than likely be just as easy with mine. That bothers me as I occasionally leave electronics in the truck on accident, and with my worn out ignition, anyone with a key that kinda fits in can start the truck.

Have any of you guys done something to make the stock slider more secure? It wouldn't take much, just something to keep the latch from being so easy to pop out. I mean, all I had to do to open the Comanche was pry the panes apart enough for the screw driver to slide in, then a couple quick smacks on the end of the multi-tool popped the latch.

Last edited by TrikeKid; 02-08-2008 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TrikeKid
So, my buddy locked his keys in his truck today (88 Comanche). Not wanting to call the lock smith or FD/PD unless we needed to, we set about opening it ourselves. He bummed a wire hanger off our history teacher and tried to pop the lock with no sucess. I went to work on the slider, and I popped it in under a minute with nothing but the flat screw driver on my Leatherman without even causing any harm to the window.

I thought about it and took a look at mine, and the designs are very similar, meaning it would more than likely be just as easy with mine. That bothers me as I occasionally leave electronics in the truck on accident, and with my worn out ignition, anyone with a key that kinda fits in can start the truck.

Have any of you guys done something to make the stock slider more secure? It wouldn't take much, just something to keep the latch from being so easy to pop out. I mean, all I had to do to open the Comanche was pry the panes apart enough for the screw driver to slide in, then a couple quick smacks on the end of the multi-tool popped the latch.
This may not be the best looking option, but on my 82, the plastic on the latch was broken long before I bought it. I went and got two of the sliding glass door stoppers that you can get at any home improvement store.
They slide onto the rail and have a thumb screw that tightens it down so that the door won't slide open. Same concept on your sliders. Worked like a charm.

Now, you won't be able to open the window with one hand, but it's gonna be way more secure.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:23 PM

what tacoclimber said it works. yeah on my buddy's tacoma the rear slider was broken into before. he just got a wooden rod from the hardware store and cut it to fit the channels. it works pretty well.