General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

M/T Tire Poll/Comments

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M/T Tire Poll/Comments

Ok guys, as some of the people that went to pismo know, my Goodyear M/TR's are getting really low on tread and I'm looking for a new tire.. I love the traction that the Goodyears give me but they never stay balanced... so I'm looking to compare... I run alot of rocky trails and creek beds and less mud so I think that factors into the comparison

BFGoodrich
Mud-Terrain T/A KM

Firestone
Destination M/T*

Goodyear
Wrangler MT/R

Or if anyone else has another tire they'd like to recommend feel free to share.

*Tacobell had some problems with wear on these, any others have firsthand experience with the firestones?
Old 08-09-2004, 01:13 PM

Same boat

I myself love the Goodyears but they are hard and time consuming to ballance. I have ran BFG's in the past, good tire. I think my vote would be to go with the BFG's thats what I will buy this time around.

Greg
Old 08-09-2004, 01:19 PM

MT/R's all the way-

Find a shop with a road force balancer and make'm take the time to get it right on, and they do fine

I've had a dozen sets of BFG's over the last 20 years- never thought I'd use any other radial M/T- until I tried the MT/Rs. The BFG's have a much harder tread compound that chunks out, and weak sidewalls compaird to the MT/R's. I used to get at least 3 of 5 BFG's replaced for road hazards, and so far (knock on my head) I've had no, zero, zip, nada problems w/ the MT/R's.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mikronized
Ok guys, as some of the people that went to pismo know, my Goodyear M/TR's are getting really low on tread and I'm looking for a new tire.. I love the traction that the Goodyears give me but they never stay balanced... so I'm looking to compare... I run alot of rocky trails and creek beds and less mud so I think that factors into the comparison

BFGoodrich
Mud-Terrain T/A KM

Firestone
Destination M/T*

Goodyear
Wrangler MT/R

Or if anyone else has another tire they'd like to recommend feel free to share.

*Tacobell had some problems with wear on these, any others have firsthand experience with the firestones?
I started with the MT/R's, wore them out, tried the Firestones, they are wearing out, never had the BFG's, but have heard great things about them. You know my opinion of the Firestones, the MT/R's are great off-road, but pretty pricy and wear quick (although not as fast as the F/S). From what I've heard, if you drive on road a lot and do occasional wheeling, the BFG is the way to go. The price is in between the F/S and the G/Y, and lasts longer than both combined.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:55 AM

I've got the Destination MTs in a 33/12.5-15. I've only had them a short time (about 2k miles), but so far I'm very pleased with them. Good on road, noise isn't too bad. Good off-road too. Only question is how will they hold up, i.e. tread life.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why MT's if you're not in mud very often? Here in AZ, and I'm guessing you've got similar in CA, it's mostly dry, rocky wheeling with only occasional mud. My AT's are great (BFG) and do better on the road as well. Is your rig a daily driver?
Old 08-10-2004, 06:42 AM

Any one have experience with new Toyo Open Country M/T

I saw them at Kaufman tires and they looked pretty cool. The sidewall was very stiff and firm, i think firmer than my MT/R. I need to replace my MT/R in next month and I am debating between Open Country M/T or MT/R(I liked them a lot) Anyone knows what is the price for Toyo? in 285/75/16

Thanks,

Last edited by Bratik; 08-10-2004 at 06:44 AM.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:48 AM

BigBadBlue has those Toyo's I think...
Old 08-10-2004, 10:57 AM
Contributing Member

i for one have only used the mt/r's so i can't comment on the other tires but i must say these tires rock! the sidewall is soo strong i've yet to punch a hole in it.... and i try sooo hard to punch a hole too so i can get one replaced!!!
Old 08-10-2004, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Good Times
i for one have only used the mt/r's so i can't comment on the other tires but i must say these tires rock! the sidewall is soo strong i've yet to punch a hole in it.... and i try sooo hard to punch a hole too so i can get one replaced!!!
I agree the sidewall is very strong on MT/R but I ripped one last year at Tellico. The hole was about 1/2 inch so I stitched it with some fishing line, than glue a patch and inserted a tube, now I have full spare tire. I saw this trick on LC website.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:07 PM

MT/R's hands down.

I've run a couple of sets of BFG's (AT and MT) and will not run them again. They wore well, but the sidewalls were weak and the tires became out of round after a while.

My MT/R's have held up much better offroad and so far have stayed round. I've had no problems keeping them balanced either.

I have found that when I air down for wheeling, the tires can spin on the rim, which of course throws off the balance. So, I used a cutoff wheel and cut a small mark on the inside of the rim and tire so that I can check to see if they've spun. When they do, I remove them, break the beads down with a hi-lift, turn the rim back to its original position in the tire, and air back up. Its pretty easy. I even did it on the lakebed before the long drive back home from the Hammers. I haven't balanced my tires in about 30K miles. They could use it simply due to wear, but they really haven't been bad enough to worry about.
This set in nearly worn out... time for 37's.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:23 PM
Contributing Member

MTR's all the way.... Since I have beadlocks, there hasn't been any problems with the tires going out of balance, except when I lose a wheel weight. The BFG at's I have took quite a bit more weight to get them in balance.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:58 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
I've had excellent luck with BFGs, they are pretty quiet on the road and last a while too. The MTRs are too noisy and needed rebalance (presumeably because they don't wear evenly) I'm trying a set of Pro Comp MTs this time and so far I can't say enough good about them, but it'll be a year or three before info is really usefull. I can tell you though, that they are the quietest MT tire I've ever experienced and they run smooth as silk. I'm impressed with that at least.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:02 PM

yokohama?

I too need some new MT's on my 4runner, I have been very pleased with the BFG MT's I have right now, great traction and strength, i will never run an AT again on my 4runner. I am thinking about possibly getting the yokohama geolandar mt. has anyone had any experience with this tire?
thanks. brian
Old 08-14-2004, 02:15 PM

I love BFG I always used the AT (but it was on a VW bug 31 10.5). When I bought my rig I had the Goodyear MT/R. I hated them! I now run the BFG Long Trail for daily driving and I use Mud Kings for off-road (the Mud King is produced by BFG) (Ballancing did take some extra time and I went to a proffesional tire shop)

I would love to go to the MT but dont have the pennies yet.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:56 AM

I have the firestone destinations. They rock. They rival the goodyear MT/R in the looks department. Have good tread life. Great Traction.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the firestones too... In appearance they do well, I've had several complements, and so far treadlife is great. No problems with balancing like the goodyears. As for traction, the only time if gotten stuck was when I high centered it in a 7ft snow drift. In mud they rock, rocks they do well, and snow is nothin. When they finally do wear out, I will buy them again.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:09 PM

trxus m/t

Has anyone run these in a 285/75/16?

Looks like I'm getting them 'cos the price is *right*
Old 01-16-2005, 03:41 PM

BFG MT are on my vote.... haven't had any problems with them...
Old 01-16-2005, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by amorphous
Has anyone run these in a 285/75/16?

Looks like I'm getting them 'cos the price is *right*
I havent run trXus MT's on my rig, but have freinds who i wheel with who do, but in different sizes than that. AWESOME tire for a MT. IMHO, it seems to work better than an MTR, and lasts longer on the road.

Last edited by joez; 01-16-2005 at 06:02 PM.

Quick Reply: M/T Tire Poll/Comments