General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

It's Road Trip Season What Should I Take?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's Road Trip Season What Should I Take?

Hi guys so I've got a bit of a dilemma right now.

I'm a student during the year and go tree planting in the summer. It's my third season planting tree's in Northern BC and hopefully my fourth Yota roadie across Canada. I've got finals up until the 30th and I have to leave the day after. Right now my dilemma is truck problems I'm having. I've got a 89 4Runner with a bad misfire on accel, a 92 Pickup which the rust is starting to get to pretty bad also with a *possible* overheating issue and finally a 85 2L-T diesel with a bit of a shake.

I wanted to take the 92 and camp in the bed but the wind shield's got a big ole' crack and the window frame is bubbling bad so I'd have to do the body work before replacing it. Also before I parked it I had a few overheating issues I'm not positive I sorted out. I did a rad and thermostat but I have a bad feeling the head gasket is on the way out. Doing a head gasket wouldn't be the end of the world but I'll be living out in a bush camp that might complicate things.

The 4Runner like I said is running bad which I've been trying hard to diagnose. I don't have much time with finals right now to be dicking around with it and it's the second time in a month it's given me trouble. I took this sucker out last summer and had my buddy drive it back, she's a tried and true road trip machine but starting to show her age which worries me.

Finally the 85 Diesel which I picked up last year. This one runs good, has a bit of a death wobble above 100 but mostly I'm worried about hurting it. I got a super good deal on it last summer and drove it home with me. However the more I read on these the more I heard about cracked heads in the 2L-T from poor cooling. Some of the grades in the mountains really bring the heat up and I'd hate to damage the motor going cross country as I won't be home for months to do anything about it. I've also gotten a few very good offers on it so I'd rather do some maintenance and clean her up to find a good new home.

This may be a little trivial but what are your guys' opinions on my vehicle of choice?
Old 04-26-2016, 01:16 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Since they all need work pick the one you want the most fix that one.

You know better what your getting into or what you need as in a vehicle.