General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

HOw do you secure your ride???

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roll up the windows, lock the doors, and keep my Walther P22 w/ laser at the side of my bed. It's dead on at 35 ft, which is how far my taco is from my bedroom window.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not worried about my ride while I'm at home -- it's garaged and we have an alarm system, a large Rottie, and various fire arms. But when I'm out and about, I rely entirely on my car alarm to deter thieves. The best thing you can do for vehicle defense is to have multiple layers of protection. Locking the doors is the first place to start. A club or similar device adds another. Mix in a good alarm -- add multiple starter kill switches and fuel pump kill switches. Each switch gives a thief another obstacle to over come and increases the time he has to spend trying to heist your ride. Mine has an undisclosed number of obstacles, including a back up battery. Forget the 2-way crap -- the benefits are purely psychological for the owner and do little to nothing in real life theft situations. By the time you get the page (if you even get an alert at all) a thief will have your rig several miles down the road.

Multiple layers of defense is the key to theft deterrence. Get a professional to install several kill switches and a back up battery. And then try to park near another, less protected 4x4 every time you're out. Hopefully a determine theif will pick the easier target and move on. It's kind of like getting chased by a bear -- you don't have to out run the bear, you just have to run faster than your buddies.

Ed
Old 07-15-2005, 08:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by deathrunner
I will have 1200.00 of shocks, all held on by a nut, so can you understand my concern?

I am also concerned about people getting into my hood, which is just pinned on.

I have seen alarms with pagers and I think that might be something I need. The reason is because my girlfriend says that I have failed to wake up when my alarm has sounded at night (set off by cars driving by). I figure if I have a pager on my body or under my pillow I can wake up and shine a spot light down on my car from my room.

Sounds excessive, but my truck is excessive.
I would love to move to oregon, but I'm not sure there is much business for a guitar teacher that looks like a goat.
An alarm with pager would be a good idea. Being near the border, how effective is Lojack? You truck can probably be stripped in an hour. You need to know as soon as it is stolen (pager), then where it is (lojack). Maybe add your mods to the insurance policy?
Old 07-15-2005, 09:16 AM

why not sleep in the bed of your truck? if that isnt an option try to limit the amount of time your truck spends in places were its most likely to be broken into e.g (movie theaters,malls,strip clubs,PEtco-park)
But like someone said before,if someone wants to break in to your truck they will...after all Alarms,gps,Angry big Guys from Arkansas and dogs are Are just Detterents...nothing short of locking it in your garage and welding all the doors shut is gona yeild 100% saftey for your truck and all its contents.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:31 AM

Sometimes I lock the doors
Old 07-15-2005, 10:18 AM

Attach the following stickers to your vehicle,

OnStar
Member NRA Sharp Shooters Club
Protected by Witchcraft
Survivors will be Shot Again

I would suggest you get one of those alarms that kills the iginition several minutes after start up. That way the thieves would think they were on easy street and begin to panick once the vehicle stalls.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:19 AM

You are all overthinking this. Just get a jeep cover and throw it over your truck. No one will want to go near it.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:21 AM
Contributing Member

Fuel pump switch,hidden of course. My truck will NEVER be driven away and that defeats most of your common thieves right there and I really don't keep anything of value in the truck so if they break in they won't get much.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by v8sport4runner
You are all overthinking this. Just get a jeep cover and throw it over your truck. No one will want to go near it.
Nice.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:45 AM

I remember when my brother friend wrecked his tricked out RX-7, the insurance didn't want to give him very much for it. Luckily his dad was a lawyer and pointed out to the insurance company that he had a custom type insurance policy and then the insurance had to give them what they said it was worth.

That is probably the best thing to do. Talk to your insurance and see how you cover all of the mods to your truck. That would be all I would do. After all, no matter what you put on it, if they want it, they will take it.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

Gun stickers on a truck are an INVITATION for a break in. A criminal will reach under the seat right away and if you left the gun in the car, well......

I have an auto lock that goes between the brake pedal and floor, much better than a club, you can cut through a steering wheel like butter, brake pedal, different story.

Epic Ed is on the right track, make the bastards work! they don't like to hang around a car tracing wires for a while.

Install the alarm siren inside the cab, I have seen cars driving down the street with the alarm on, if the siren is in the cab at the very least the theif will suffer hearing damage or not want to be inside the vehicle for long.

I have left my truck in p-lots with the windows down and doors unlocked, I was watching from a distance to see what would happen and A few people would go look around my car, within minutes of me leaving, but they make themselves scarce when the dogs sit up and start staring, no barking or growling just staring and they won't look away until the person is at least 30 feet from the truck.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:37 AM
Contributing Member

I find it's funny to see people with huge ALPINE//// stickers across their back windows;thieves appreciate the advertising so they know they won't be wasting their time.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:18 PM

Yeah, forgot to add that I have two piezo sirens under the dash, too. Not a place you'd want to hang out for long unless you're in to bleeding from the ear drums and getting vertigo.

Ed
Old 07-15-2005, 12:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
We have lots of guitar teachers that look like goats already. Most of em are women...
oh man, as a NW native that just made my day! Hilarious. You wouldn't happen to be thinking of Eugene would you?

But regarding the topic, I keep mine in the garage, I arm the alarm (with starter kill), and keep my 9mm near me at all times. Oh, and I have good insurance.

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 07-15-2005 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:40 PM
Banned

get this http://galls.com/style.html?assort=g...og&style=HS085
Old 07-15-2005, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Yamaha+Toyota=Fun
I rarely lock my truck, there is nothing to steal in it. The only time I lock it is if im going to be away from it for a while or if im parked is a sketchy place. Washington is great!
Yeah, if you don't live in Tacoma
Old 07-15-2005, 01:25 PM
Contributing Member

I have a friend that manages a car stereo shop.....he calls those RF/Alpine/...any of those stickers...he calls them BMW stickers..... I asked him why.....

--- He said ---

Stands for "Break My Window!"
Old 07-15-2005, 01:38 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
I dont know how many alarm sirens work like this one - but....
Someone traded in a motorhome and it had an alarm system. Of course no remotes. And no manuals. Neat thing about alarms, they are not exactly generic and without the books you won't trial and error figuring it out. So I removed it. Cut the wires at the brain and removed that, then cut the wires at the siren and took it out. That set off the siren. Here I am holding an alarm siren in my hand with no wires attached to it and it's sounding. And it was LOUD!!! REALLY &%$#@ Loud!! I threw it down on the ground - hard. No effect. Took it in the shop (pressed against my leg to quiet it down -a little) and stuffed rags in it, and beat it UP with a hammer. No effect. Still loud enough to be really annoying. Finally we stuck it in a bucket full of shop towels and left it way in the back in the junk storage room. It sounded for 3 full days!! No brand name or anything to identify it, but that's a pretty neat feature.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
I dont know how many alarm sirens work like this one - but....
Someone traded in a motorhome and it had an alarm system. Of course no remotes. And no manuals. Neat thing about alarms, they are not exactly generic and without the books you won't trial and error figuring it out. So I removed it. Cut the wires at the brain and removed that, then cut the wires at the siren and took it out. That set off the siren. Here I am holding an alarm siren in my hand with no wires attached to it and it's sounding. And it was LOUD!!! REALLY &%$#@ Loud!! I threw it down on the ground - hard. No effect. Took it in the shop (pressed against my leg to quiet it down -a little) and stuffed rags in it, and beat it UP with a hammer. No effect. Still loud enough to be really annoying. Finally we stuck it in a bucket full of shop towels and left it way in the back in the junk storage room. It sounded for 3 full days!! No brand name or anything to identify it, but that's a pretty neat feature.
kind of like when you chop a chickens head off

to secure my vehicle i roll up the windows and lock the doors...if im worried about theft a lot of times ill pull a vaccum line so the thing stalls out before they can even get it moving..

Ive also done such creative things like switching some wires around...thats really funny...espeicaly when you do it to family members..on my dads triumph which i know hte wiring really well on i wired the brake lights to the horn..that was a really good prank...next to the wire i lleft a note or him.

I also one time filled up my dads 4runner with seafoam and let it sit overnight

man was he suprised when his truck started in the morning
Old 07-15-2005, 09:11 PM

I had always thought about putting the siren or air horns in the cab....now it will be done.

I have a second siren, should I wire it in series or parallel with the other one?

Quick Reply: HOw do you secure your ride???