General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

HOw do you secure your ride???

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 08:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HOw do you secure your ride???

I need more ideas.

I already have an alarm with starter kill, the club, and wheel locks.

What else can be done?

I figure I can run bike wire/chain through my hi-lift and gas can to protect those.

My big dilemma is my fiberglass hood. Should I just run locks through the pins. And if so does anyone have a suggestion for a lock that would fit autofab pins?

How about shocks? Red loc-tite?
Old 07-14-2005, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Come on now... be a little realistic...

It sucks, but if someone really wants to get in your truck.... they will...

It seems like you have taken most of the common anti-theft devices, but U might also consider Lo-Jack if U are serious... Other than that... all you can do is be smart about where U leave your truck

Oh an lock-tite isn't an anti-theft thing... its keep the bolt from backing out...
Old 07-14-2005, 09:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
skitz,

i dont know where you're from, but deathrunner has every reason to be paranoid as most of us so californians have to be. he lives in SD which is a stone's throw away from the infamous tijuana graveyard.

death: sounds like you have things pretty well covered, but yes, skitz is right: if they really want it, they'll take it.

bob
Old 07-14-2005, 09:19 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Better idea - move! Mine is outside right now, unlocked as always. I only lock it at the store and places like that. Nice living here in the country... Nice place for sale right down the road from me.

For a regular vehicle, paid up insurance is the answer, but for a built rig you never get back what you had, let alone the blood and sweat and good times it represented.

...and I thought the locktite remark was funny as hell!

(skitz - red loctite is like welding, the bolt doesn't back out - ever! Not even with a BFWrench!)
Old 07-14-2005, 09:26 PM
Contributing Member

I rarely lock my truck, there is nothing to steal in it. The only time I lock it is if im going to be away from it for a while or if im parked is a sketchy place. Washington is great!

The only thing I regularly lock on it is my toolbox.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:28 PM

I will have 1200.00 of shocks, all held on by a nut, so can you understand my concern?

I am also concerned about people getting into my hood, which is just pinned on.

I have seen alarms with pagers and I think that might be something I need. The reason is because my girlfriend says that I have failed to wake up when my alarm has sounded at night (set off by cars driving by). I figure if I have a pager on my body or under my pillow I can wake up and shine a spot light down on my car from my room.

Sounds excessive, but my truck is excessive.
I would love to move to oregon, but I'm not sure there is much business for a guitar teacher that looks like a goat.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:36 PM

We have lots of guitar teachers that look like goats already. Most of em are women...
Old 07-14-2005, 09:49 PM
Contributing Member

yea, ive heard about those kind of alarm systems. it w*ould be nice. I dont really care about the truck getting stolen, cause there not many people that would steal it here. But all my gear and stuff is what i worry about, ive got it covered up, but when i have the top off it worries me a little more. Ive got a standard alarm with the starter kill, tinted windows, door locks....i dunno id like to know of some other stuff.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:53 PM

How about an autopilot with a GPS so if someone steals it the truck drives itself to the police station...
Old 07-14-2005, 09:55 PM

Ok auto pilto gps...top of my list.....well second after a woman that looks like a goat.

By the way Flamed, I dig your new signature.... Awesome.....but you forgot to put a "be" before "explained", just lookin out for ya

Last edited by deathrunner; 07-14-2005 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:56 PM
Contributing Member

Seth--I know a guy that had one of those pager alarms. He was in a movie and it went off, so he went out to see what was up. He got jumped by 2 guys, and his truck still got stolen.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:01 PM

NO WAY!

RAD!

I Always wanted to be in the "Beat It" video

That sucks. Mine is mainly so I knwo when to yell out my bedroom window and reach for my long-range urine launcher.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:04 PM

I have an alarm if someone wants it for like $40 bucks.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:29 PM
Contributing Member

Seth,

Check out this link to Bajataco - he's got a starter kill/hoodlock combo that *might* be what you're looking for. The only problem may be the fact that we're talking about screwing something into fiberglass in your case:

http://www.bajataco.com/zr2steve/hoodlock1.html

I'll be putting this on my 1st gen when I get around to it... which will be like never :pat:

Last note:
Don't consider yourself paranoid. 4WD Toyotas are in high demand with car thieves in Mexico.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:39 PM
Banned

i live in the bay area, norcal, and i dont have most of the back window... right now, its locked and windows are up, but it wouldnt be hard to get inside.....
Old 07-15-2005, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
...and I thought the locktite remark was funny as hell!

(skitz - red loctite is like welding, the bolt doesn't back out - ever! Not even with a BFWrench!)
LOL... I wish !! We've backed out plenty of bolts with red lock-tite... yea it was harder, but nothing a breaker/weight couldn't solve... although the bolt can really only be backed out 2 or 3 times, before the threads are trashed...

I guess I should have been clearer... but for $1200 shocks... I would invest in something more that just locktite as an antitheft device...
Old 07-15-2005, 06:02 AM

I have a garage, a 125 lb dog that stays hungry, and a gun. Works for me.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:11 AM
Contributing Member

On my old 2nd gen I had a 2-way pager system and it worked alright...I caught one kid trying to get into it at school and shoved him on the ground and said if he ever touched my car again I'd beat his a$$...it never happened again.

I'm with TRDOLMAN, I've got a 165lb Rotti, a Browning BPS and I'm not necessarily the smallest guy you've ever seen...plus here in Arkansas, I've left my car in the wal-mart parking lot unlocked (forgot to lock it) for about 2 hours or so with my sound system, 4-wheeling gear, 2 binders of cd's and my Dell Axim handheld in plain view. Never had a problem...just some retarted kids at my school messing with my car thats about it.

You could go with a 2-way alarm if you wanted but it would really only help if you were sleeping in your room...if you are more than 800 feet away it won't reach you.

Just my pennies,

Fink
Old 07-15-2005, 06:28 AM
Banned

A gun and a warning sticker saying "Touching this vehicle consents being diciplined, up to, and including, death."
Old 07-15-2005, 06:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TRDOLMAN
I have a garage, a 125 lb dog that stays hungry, and a gun. Works for me.
+2 dogs, guns, 2-way remote w/ starter kill switch and GOOD insurance

Quick Reply: HOw do you secure your ride???