General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

How do you fund your obsession?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 11:47 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I drive a 13 yr old truck instead of a 3 yr old truck ...

Sold the Jetski = crawler

When I sell the Impala = suspension
Old 06-15-2007, 11:49 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ewong
In the early days I funded TOOLS out of the maintence budget - if I had a repair item (for example repack wheel bearings) I would price out the "shop" cost and that would be my targe fost for the reapir. I could get tools up to the limit. After about oh 8+ years of this the repairs started being really cheap. Its THIS "savings" that could be put towards paying myself as per above) and then and later - car toys.
Some great advice there - parts are reasonably priced for the most part - it's the labor that really jacks up the bill.

With resources like here and TTORA, there's always experienced help available.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also like most people say sell things for people on ebay and also hustle some computer work for people on the side. Computer repairs and building custom computer that makes come good cash
Old 06-15-2007, 12:27 PM

I wait tables, work alot maybe more then I should being in school. Im cheap and the trucks are about the only thing I spend money on.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:32 PM

I work 35 hours a week, go to school full time (including summer classes). I pay rent and tons of bills...All my friends are just as poor, so all the work I do for them on cars and computers I usually get paid in a free lunch or something...so my addiction is very very very slowly funded. Just whenever I can spare a dime!
Old 06-15-2007, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

i sell drugs.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:45 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
i dont.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:09 PM

I need to.

Um.. I have no job, no income right now. Just odd jobs and stuff at the moment.. currently looking for a job... then comes truck toys.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:18 PM

Being single has it's benefits.
I just save my money, granted I don't have lastest and greatest toys or anything but I'm happy with what I have. So that lets me save my money.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:51 PM

well i mow yards and know apllying for jobs
and also me a my dad fix up boats and trucks and sell them
also i try not to eat out much and try not to spend my money on stuff or things that is not realy usefull or really kool and save as much money as i can also try to buy used things instead of new
Old 06-15-2007, 06:07 PM
Contributing Member

Overtime from work pays for the "toys."
Old 06-15-2007, 06:09 PM

i ask mommy and daddy...

NOT.

i wish. im goin into senior year and im workin 30hrs a week during the summer, and makin some good cash, but not quite enough to rly fund fund my truck. course its a 2wd, so its even harder to find stuff. lol. i just set my priorities right. i put the first $200 outa my paycheck in the bank to pay for insurance, and the other money goes to entertainment and truck. gas is included in entertainment.

now if only my parents paid for insurance... u guy would be jealous. lol.

best advice, find something u can do and most others cant, and do it for those that cant, at a cheaper than pro rate. i'll do an audio system that would cost about 130 in just install at a shop for 40-50. not only am i makin money, but im gettin experiance too. and i enjoy it. cant beat that.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:21 PM

Yeah Axleike is right that #2 will get ya everytime. It's tough but like Ewong said it aint what ya make its what ya keep. Me I try to barter my skills for parts or favors. Help as many people as I can. And scrounge my ass off. We have a great pair of upullits near and I try and adapt stuff a lot. Course I'm happy that I even got 4 wheel drive that works. So anything else is gravy. Sure would like some tires though. Anyone need any help buildin a house or wiring or plumbing or------
Jim
Old 06-15-2007, 08:31 PM

I have a son coming in July so I am trying to buy everything I need NOW because I know it will be even tougher later. That being said, We have both our cars paid off, and no credit card debt (just finished paying off student loans too). My wife will be a stay at home mom for the most part so it will br tough. I make money, but not THAT much money. The worst part is I think she will want to drive the 4Runner with the baby. I will have to drive the Honda
Old 06-15-2007, 09:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=ewong;50552706]

Number 1 - STOP GETTING TAX REFUNDS.
If you are getting a big refund its because your W2 witholding is wrong.
Change the witholding. There is an IRS calculator that tells you how to set it so that there is a minimal refund at the end of the year.
Keep the extra money each paycheck. Put it aside and earn interest on it - whatever. Unless you really do want to give Unlce Sam in interest free loan.

Rule #2 - Pay yourself FIRST
-- 401K if you have it - at least to the match point
-- IRA - even if its not deductable
-- 401K to the limit (interest compounds tax deferred)
-- 529 (for the kids education)

Then start thinking about truck toys.

Fund the truck toys with a self supporting hobby (aka part out trucks, assist friends with repairs etc)

Think looooong range. Im getting to Phase III of my mod plans... (its a 1989 4Runner bought new in 1989...)

Use Quicken or something similar - track your expenses.
Find out how much "cars" cost of your budget.
Make sure you cont everything
-- payments
-- insurance
-- gas
-- maintence
Think HARD about that amount. Is it really necessary?

Damn, aparently I'm NOT the only accounting minded one here! (I'm an CPA)

I completely 2nd what he said

I am single, no kids (unless you count my bird who has been with me for the past 16 years) So its easy for me to budget for my rig.

I haven't had a tax refund for more than $100 (both state and fed combined) for close to 13 years. If you get a large refund consistantly, you may want to consider consulting someone in the HR dept where work and discuss changing both your state and federal deductions so you get more in your regular pay checks thus making it eaiser to budget mods.

Quicken is a great program for anyone who knows how to use a computer. It will help you save tons of time paying your bills, and it can even pay some of your reoccuring bills on their due date without you even having to do anything.

I bought my truck and car outright - I don't have a payment. I insure both my vehicles and my house under the same policy so I get a HUGE multi-policy discount. My truck isn't my daily driver so I save alot on gas, not to mention that I live less than 5 miles away from my office.

And as mentioned over and over, my rig is a Toyota, as is my daily driver (99 Solara) so there isn't much maintance involved.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:37 PM

i work dam hard thats what i do
im gonna be a senior next year and have been workign 6 days a week after school and full tiem saterdays for the last 3 years. I go to highschool and work 30 hours a week at les schwab

im not even a senioryet and with my own money have phurchase:
almost mint DD 87 4runner rebuilt engine blah blah blah and a 81 toyota TR with 36's blah blah blah i pay for insurance for one of them and all my gas.

Workign hard is how you fund cool toys and also getting your finances straight so you can have a budget for you passions.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:12 AM

how about learning to spell before applying to jobs? sorry, not directed to anyone, but we have illegals for the illiterate jobs

I'm an electrician, and about 75% of my checks go to alcohol...thats why i still have a 2WD.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:04 AM

I'm a diesel mechanic and once i get my debt under control I'm hoping to be near home free to mod away

not married
no kids
live with girlfriend (who got the obsession from me )
doing auto work on the side
oh and I have no life so that's cheap too
Old 06-17-2007, 07:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I work full time to fund build/rebuilding my truck. However that doesn't mean I get to do whatever I want with it.
I've got bills to pay every month and it seems like my girl friend and I like to travel a lot.

After all those things are paid for, if I've got some left over cash, I'll spend it on my truck.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:49 AM

I work 60-70 hours a week. Maybe sometime i will find time to actually wheel the thing instead of just wrenching on it once in a while.

Quick Reply: How do you fund your obsession?