General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Help with scamming painters advice asap!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with scamming painters advice asap!

i am looking for peoples advice on what i should do. i backed into my grandfathers truck (2000 dodge dakota quad cab) awhile back with my 1984 toyota when i was backing up out of my court going to carnegie to ride my dirtbike. i had my tailgate down since the dirtbike was in the back and i forgot my grandpa had parked his truck behind mine sideways when he usually parks in the garage so my tailgate crushed into his passenger side bed rear quarter panel. i told my grandfather to go get a quote and go have it fixed and i would pay him. they wanted like 3,000 to put a new bed side pannel and to repaint it at jims auto body which is a nice body shop. i told my grandfather i would like to get some other estimates since i thought it was high anyways my grandfather was leaving the sears parking lot and 2 guys came up to him and offered to fix his truck, my grandfather doesnt speak english that well and thought that they would do a professional job. i come home later that night after being at carnegie and see his truck all ground down and holes in the quarter panel so i asked him what was going on and he told me about the 2 guys coming up to him and that they started working on it and that they would be back tomorrow to work on it in the morning. they came back at about 11 the next morning and bondo'd it and sprayed it with some primer from autozone. Then painted it with in spray paint from a local harware store. I looked at the cans and it was just some $5 duplicolor red spray paint, not to mention the painting took place right outside my house. So basically theyre asking my granfather who is 82 and doesnt speak english that well for $1600 for bondo and 2 cans of spray paint. The dents arent even fixed right and the paint looks like obviously since its spray paint. These guys are obviously trying to con my grandfather out of a ridiculous amount of money whats everyones take on this? What should i do cause they say there finished and there coming back tomorrow for the money. Advice? Thanks Nick
Old 01-28-2009, 08:55 PM

all this for a lil bump with the yota...so they want 1600?
Old 01-28-2009, 08:58 PM

it was under the counter paid?
if so theres not much to do b/c they didn't "sign off" what they exactly were gonna do,
or insure a quality job.
If it was over the table work w/ a shop or something was signed on it you can sue.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:01 PM

my toyota like speared the pannel right behind the rear tire and after they say there done it has a pinhole and a crappy i mean crappy bondo job and the worst rattlecan paint job on it when they led my grandfather on to it would be fixed and looking great what should i do these are some like cranked out looking people trying to screw my grandfather over the rattle can paint job has runs and lack of bondo should i just refuse to pay them or whats my options. nothing happened to my toyota at all other than the tailgate being a little harder to close need advise thanks

Last edited by newbiemuela; 01-28-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:08 PM

It depends on whether they signed any agreements on it.
If they didn't and you haven't paid them yet, don't.
They didn't do what they were supposed to and they know it, they can take you to small claims court if they think they are in the right, but from what you're telling me you have no obligation to pay them for a crappy job they weren't supposed to do.
But if there were papers signed then you need see what it says they were supposed to do and then take them to small claims for not meeting the standards they said they would in the agreement.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:09 PM

Bottom line is; whether they signed any agreements to do the work and how much it would cost?
Old 01-28-2009, 09:11 PM

well if you dont pay them they know where you live...if you do pay them then your out money and still have to get it fixed. maybe you can give them a little money and say you are unhappy with the work and then still your risking it. theres not much the authorities can do, as they never guaranteed anything. only thing i can say is if you feel comfortable with telling them the work sucked and no then do that, but i think thats a risk that you have to assess.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:12 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
My buddy told me about this scam just yesterday! It something I have never heard of.

However, the way he told it, is they demand money up front, slather some bondo on it, and say they will be back tomorrow, then never show up.

NEVER EVER let someone you meet in your parking lot work on your truck. Don't pay them one red cent, and call the police.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:12 PM

there were no papers signed my grandfather was approached and they told him they could fix it and make it look like new thats it so i am just not going to pay i guess is that a good idea i mean guys its a crappy no good job and theyre trying to con my grandfather who is 82 out of 1600 dollars
Old 01-28-2009, 09:13 PM

theres not much the authorities can do, as they never guaranteed anything.
that's my point though, if they didn't make any agreements to guarantee anything then you aren't obligated to pay for the crappy work they weren't agreed upon doing.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:15 PM

If they didn't sign anything then tell them to take this junk to small claims court.
It'll get straightened out there by officials.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree. I see your from Cali so its probably a couple of tweakers. I would try to talk sensibly to them () and try to point out the lack of quality. Tell them you got a bondo job quoted at $600, and you were hoping for a new fender and a legit paint job for $1600. offer them $500. That should be plenty to cover materials, a fat bag of dope, a new pipe, and some booze to bring em down easy. Be respectful, and if they don't go for it, show em the 12 gauge. Either way, thats f-ed.

Last edited by stagger_lee; 01-28-2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:25 PM

Be respectful, and if they don't buy it, show em the 12 gauge. Either way, thats f-ed.
True dat!
Keep it safe though. If they're tweaking I wouldn't do much more than telling them they need to go to small claims and if they flip, call the Po-Po.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by CRafferty
If they didn't sign anything then tell them to take this junk to small claims court.
It'll get straightened out there by officials.
Thats the problem. Tweakers don't sign anything or show up to court, they just come back for your rims, stereos and tools. BS
Old 01-28-2009, 09:28 PM

thanks staggerlee for the advice i think i am not going to pay them anything or maybe a little for there time but i think they were tweakers when they come back for the money tommorow morning im gonna tell them to come back after 6 because my dad will be home from work and i bet my dads gonna be pissed and not pay them anything any more advice thanks Nick
Old 01-28-2009, 09:31 PM

Say it's either 100 or nothing, they get a little money for their time and materials, they don't deserve anything else, if they do, introduce them to the 12 gauge. If that isn't something you're comfortable with, you'll end up paying too much.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:33 PM

Normal people don't do shotty work and expect to be paid that much for it. Normal people also don't hit up elderly old men in parking lots. I would at least offer to pay for materials and a bit more for time (an 8 ball only costs about $80 if you know the right people). So materials + $100 if you feel generous.

Keep in mind tweakers aren't sane. Good luck. They could totally go for it and be happy they got something, or want to kill you.

Last edited by stagger_lee; 01-28-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:41 PM

i know what kind of people try to scam an olderly person they are definately tweakers no joke now that i think about it and my dads gona be there and he loves to fight since he was a boxer and i think it will work out okay
Old 01-28-2009, 09:46 PM

bottom line protect yourself and family. Sounds like pops has it covered.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:57 PM

2 on 1, usually never a good situation...have some bro's over incase things go south. make sure ones name is louisville slugger, and the other is tire iron...

Quick Reply: Help with scamming painters advice asap!