General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Good tip for cleaning the fuel system....

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 06:33 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Good tip for cleaning the fuel system....

Hello,

A friend of my wife's via the internet who is a chemist in the nuclear industry sent this info to my wife upon my questioning whether or not a solution of sodium chlorite would be good for cleaning injectors during their rebuild. Well, sodium chlorite probably isn't, but this seems to be:

A few years ago 2 stroke oil was reformulated to a TC-W3 specification. The
idea was to improve performance, keep the engine clean, burn ash less, and
minimize the smoke associated with 2 stroke engines. A group of people got
together and decided to try this out. They have logged over a million miles
without problems, and claim excellent results.

The results that have been observed are quieter running fuel pumps if the
fuel pump is located in the fuel tank, no corrosion in the fuel rail, clean
injectors, clean spark plugs, less oil consumption, improved performance,
and a slight increase in fuel economy. We have looked at the inside of
cylinders using a borescope, before and after using this oil additive. We
have looked at spark plugs, and carefully measured fuel economy. I have
experience with using it in 5 vehicles and have logged over 30000 miles
using it.

I have seen cleaner spark plugs, a cleaner engine top end, and a slight
improvement in fuel economy. I don't want to say that your fuel economy
will increase, but it is more like it will get back to what it was when the
engine was new.

Wal-Mart sells their brand for around $10 a gallon. You don't need to go
with any particular brand, and in this case it is best to shop on price.
You are looking for 2 stroke oil that has the TC-W3 label on it.

This is added to your gas in the ratio of 1 ounce of oil per 5 gallons of
fuel. When you fill up, keep track of the amount of gallons you put in.
When you get home, add the oil for the amount of fuel you just filled up
with. You should experience an improvement after the second full tank. It
is a gradual process that takes some to complete, and if there is actual
damage to the engine, it is not a miracle worker.

Informal dyno testing after 10 tanks of fuel showed a very slight increase
in horsepower and torque, but no one felt that this was significant. On
line diagnostic testing while driving showed an increase in timing advance
after the "gunk" had been cleaned out. I believe this is why there is a
fuel economy improvement. After the "gunk" is cleaned out, the engine can
run at the levels the computer sets and does not have to retard the timing
due to knocking.

I figure the increase in fuel economy offsets the cost of the 2 stroke oil.
I went from 25 - 26 mpg to 27 - 28 mpg.

Oil analysis after extended oil change interval (about 14000 miles between
changes) indicated a slight increase in potassium and sodium. It is
believed this increase was caused by the addition of the 2 stroke oil. I
will be trending this data to see what happens.

While I don't have evidence that this stuff works, the anecdotal results are
promising enough to suggest trying it.

One other thing. In gasoline engines the results are not as great with
those who regularly use top tier gasoline. However, if you use the cheapest
gasoline you can find, the results are better. If your gasoline has ethanol
blended with it the results are better than if you have access to non
blended gasoline.

Tom

Just the day before yesterday I've added some to the tank. I let you all who's interested know how it goes.

Last edited by thook; 07-16-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sounds interesting, do let us know the results.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes do!! Please I am very interested. Even if it is a marginal increase I believe it might be worth it.
THOOK...I apologise if I am intruding on your post. I thought this would be a great place to share my findings as well.
Especially for those road trips where you're steadily going the same speed, say a 1-4 hour trip one way.
I have recently compared a couple different fuel additives myself; Lucas, Z-Max, and Redline's SI-1 Complete fuel system cleaner.
With my 3.0 V6, usually fill 15 gallons of fuel to top my tank off. On 76 brand 87 octane gasoline, no additives, I average 18mpg. Roughly 225 miles on a tank of fuel max, mixed evenly with both street and highway driving. I shift regularly at 2K RPM around the streets, and 3-3.5K RPM getting on the freeway. I usually follow the speed limits...usually...
A round trip from my house, to San Diego (234mi.) with the Lucas additive produced 241 miles cruising at 60mph both ways.
The next weekend I used the Z-Max, same trip same time of day, same fuel, cruising 65mph. I used just over a half tank of gasoline. With the Z-Max I almost doubled my mileage.
Redline's SI-1 although just a "cleaner" produced just about 289 miles for that tank of gas.
If I have missed out on any info here please let me know so I can fill it in. I am going in search of the info that THOOK has posted on the 2-stroke oil with the TC-W3 formulation. I am always interested in both mileage and performance increases as long as they are worth the $ invested.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:12 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I will certainly post up my results. I've tried Seafoam in the past for cleaning injectors, but I really don't think it does much for them. It's great for other things, but injectors doesn't seem to be one of them.(YMMV) That's why I'm trying the 2cycle oil. My gas mileage and power have been marginal for quite some time, progressively getting worse. I have a lot of new components, good wiring, and fairly recently rebuilt the motor. The only thing that's not been serviced is the injectors. At the time I rebuilt the motor, I really should've done it, but I didn't. Meh. I have a spare set that I just got a kit for (Mr. Injector on ebay......$25) and will be rebuilding them to replace the current ones. Then, I'll rebuild those, at some point, and have a good spare set next time around. This'll eliminate some down time. Anyway, I also just installed a new Denso O2 sensor. This has helped considerably, so far. But, since I suspect the engine is running too lean from clogged injectors, while the power and mileage is better, I don't expect it to improve a lot until the injectors are actually replaced. I'm doing the 2cyl oil in the mean time to help things until I tear down and replace. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

T.O'Brien.......don't worry that you're intruding. You're not. Input is welcomed.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:22 PM

Many drag racers who burn methanol add oil to the fuel to lubricate the system and the cylinders.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:29 PM

More info I should have included: methanol (racing alcohol) absorbs moisture readily and is therefore corrosive, thus the need to "oil the fuel system and the cylinders." So a small amount of light quality oil probably won't hurt, and lubrication usually has a cleaning effect, and a clean engine usually means more efficient, which means better mpg. Looking forward to your feedback, thook.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:40 PM

A way to clean our engines and keep them running for longer is welcome! Sounds like a cheap and easy mod if it really works!
Old 07-22-2010, 08:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I use Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant regularly with great results... I was having a miss at freeway speeds in 4th gear and it cleared that up, possibly bad gas, also about +2 mpg on average.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by T.O'Brien
Yes do!! Please I am very interested. Even if it is a marginal increase I believe it might be worth it.
THOOK...I apologise if I am intruding on your post. I thought this would be a great place to share my findings as well.
Especially for those road trips where you're steadily going the same speed, say a 1-4 hour trip one way.
I have recently compared a couple different fuel additives myself; Lucas, Z-Max, and Redline's SI-1 Complete fuel system cleaner.
With my 3.0 V6, usually fill 15 gallons of fuel to top my tank off. On 76 brand 87 octane gasoline, no additives, I average 18mpg. Roughly 225 miles on a tank of fuel max, mixed evenly with both street and highway driving. I shift regularly at 2K RPM around the streets, and 3-3.5K RPM getting on the freeway. I usually follow the speed limits...usually...
A round trip from my house, to San Diego (234mi.) with the Lucas additive produced 241 miles cruising at 60mph both ways.
The next weekend I used the Z-Max, same trip same time of day, same fuel, cruising 65mph. I used just over a half tank of gasoline. With the Z-Max I almost doubled my mileage.
Redline's SI-1 although just a "cleaner" produced just about 289 miles for that tank of gas.
If I have missed out on any info here please let me know so I can fill it in. I am going in search of the info that THOOK has posted on the 2-stroke oil with the TC-W3 formulation. I am always interested in both mileage and performance increases as long as they are worth the $ invested.
So using the Z-Max gave you the best increase in mileage, do you need to add a bottle at every fill up ?, and how much does the Z-Max cost per bottle ?.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:01 AM

I call BS.

If a bottle of Miracle-stuff almost doubles gas mileage, it would not only be a physical miracle, but everyone in the country would already know about it.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 07-30-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:15 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
it's not miracle lol..
it's 2 stroke pre-mix for dirtbikes, lawnmowers, etc.
all premix does is lubricate the cylinders..
i can see this actually helping with cylinder wear, as the premix will help to lubricate the cylinder and whatnot
Old 07-27-2010, 01:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i ran 2 stroke oil in my cummins for a while (around 5-6 tanks) and then i ran lucas injector cleaner/additive afterwards and i actually found out that running the lucas was cheaper and it gave me 1 more mpg over the 2 stroke oil. now if this pertains to gas motors or not i don't know, just putting in my 2 cents
Old 07-27-2010, 05:06 PM

It's nonsense guys.

Think about it.......2 cycle oil lubricates and cleans 2 cycles engines because it is mixed with gasoline at a 30:1 or 50:1 ratio.

The internet posting recommends 1 ounce to 5 gallons of gasoline. That's a 640:1 ratio !

That's not going to lubricate or clean anything. Some folks needs to engage their brains and stop believing what they read on the internet.

Last edited by Potomacduck; 07-29-2010 at 02:57 AM.