General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Forced Air Velocity Stacked Deck-Mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 03:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes, a computer fan.... well..... i've seen a few strange things on here..... ok, ill subscribe, hell, if it works for a computer, maybe it will work on an airbox. i look forward to the results. nice fab work, bSkogie!
Old 09-27-2010, 05:32 AM

It is actually designed to cool large networks, but yes, basically a computer fan.

Thanks Clyde.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:15 AM
Contributing Member

So all you are attempting to do is increase the air available to the engine intake... don't know how much difference it will make....
Old 09-27-2010, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by aviator
So all you are attempting to do is increase the air available to the engine intake... don't know how much difference it will make....
It's the same idea as the deck-mod and velocity stacked deck-mod, they really aren't "pushing" air in, just allowing for more air to pass through the airbox.

Depending on the results I get from this, my next step may be to put another fan behind the filter.

Even though right now all I can do is feel that there has been some kind of increase, I'd say it is definitely worth the ~$20 and hour of my time that this cost.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:30 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
If the engine is already pullling more than 200cfm, would the fan be slowing it down? Is there any way to test how much air is going through the bass port? Might be worth looking at.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by JBurt
If the engine is already pullling more than 200cfm, would the fan be slowing it down? Is there any way to test how much air is going through the bass port? Might be worth looking at.
Read my reply to xxxtreme in post #16.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:50 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by bSkogie
Perhaps I should change the "forced" part of my title. I realize I am not forcing air into the engine, I am simply putting more air into the box for the engine to suck down, just couldn't think of a better word.
I'm assuming that you are talking about this part. I read it earlier, but my question is if air is moving through the hole at say 400 cfm, it seems that the fan only fast enough to pull 200 cfm would be kind of counter productive. That's why the engine fan shuts off at highway speeds. Not sure if that logic is right, thats why I was wondering if anyone has any nifty tools to measure air flow. That would tell if the fan help or hinders air flow. Good luck with it though. Curious about the dyno.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:18 AM

I was talking about the part where I said that I am not limiting it to 200cfm. The stock port hole is still there so there is at least as much air flow as there was before.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Except that you are now blocking flow with a fan that produces fewer CFM's than the engine flows.

The only thing that did anything for your motor at ALL was cutting the hole in the airbox and allowing air to flow more freely.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This is what happens when a kid gets a parents 4runner instead of the civic he was destined to pimp.

Be glad to support you in any repairs or reasonable mods....but this is ridiculous. Step back..take a look at what you are doing. Now isnt it kinda silly? Seriously. I know times are tight and you want to mod your runner.
There is a whole thread on cheap mods. Follow that path my friend.

There is really no point in trying to make a 4runner faster.
You want fast....go buy a 89 gt mustang and throw a 100 shot on it.
It will end up in a ditch. The 4runner will drive out of the ditch.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HighLux
This is what happens when a kid gets a parents 4runner instead of the civic he was destined to pimp.

Be glad to support you in any repairs or reasonable mods....but this is ridiculous. Step back..take a look at what you are doing. Now isnt it kinda silly? Seriously. I know times are tight and you want to mod your runner.

whats wrong with wanting more power? its no different than a supra MAF or a set of headers. might as well try and get all the power of his 3.slow he can

I think it a pretty unique idea, but if the fan restricts the airflow then ditch it and just leave the hole open

Old 09-27-2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by HighLux

First off, I purchased it for myself because I know what 4runners are capable of and fell in love with my grandfathers when I was very young. His is still going down the road with my older brother behind the wheel

Your reply was totally pointless. If you have anything constructive to say, say it. If you want to be an ˟˟˟˟˟˟˟, GTFO. Thanks
Old 09-27-2010, 02:46 PM

I read this thread and this is the first thing that came to mind:
(I think I saw this on another thread around here)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATmUH...layer_embedded

It sounds a little silly, but I'll give you credit for thinking out of the box; more people should try it.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:20 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by okie81
I read this thread and this is the first thing that came to mind:
(I think I saw this on another thread around here)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATmUH...layer_embedded

It sounds a little silly, but I'll give you credit for thinking out of the box; more people should try it.
haha gives you five pound boost.. what a joke

Old 09-27-2010, 03:47 PM

im thinking that the supercharger in that video would give you some crap airflow unless it was always goinng. anyone else see what im saying?
Old 09-27-2010, 04:44 PM

I can see how one of these electric systems can produce positive pressure numbers at 0 CFM, or basically pushing air against a pressure gauge. However put say for example, a 500 CFM demand behind it, or any Current 'electric super charger' I don't see how it could provide any "boost" at any sufficient flow rate for an engine.

As for the OP's idea, opening the air flow into the air box has potential, however without some sort of 'flapper valve' to close the opening for the original air intake when the box is 'pressurized' I think any 'pressure' produced by the fan would be escaping through the original intake opening.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member

A fan behind the filter would only reduce the airflow...this has been discussed many times here... yes a supercharger/turbocharger is in effect a fan but iy turns at several thousand rpm and compresses the air the low speed fans you have here just move the air a bit...
and even that not very well efficiency speaking...
the airbox fan you have now might improve intake efficiency at idle or when stuck in traffic or crawling but that would be it...
the difference made by the bass tube smoothing the airflow into the box is still being debated itself...
Old 09-27-2010, 06:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 874runnersr5
haha gives you five pound boost.. what a joke

5lbs is 5lbs more than he had before and the 22rte only made about 9lbs at best as I recall... every little bit helps...
Old 09-27-2010, 07:02 PM

wouldnt cutting that hole in the airbox be similar to putting on a cold air intake? except without a K&N?
just wondering
Old 09-27-2010, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

Let's keep the flaming down guys.

The OP is right, if you don't have something constructive say just don't post.

If you don't think the mod will work then feel free to post that up but I would suggest presenting the information you have that disproves the OP's idea.

Fink

Quick Reply: Forced Air Velocity Stacked Deck-Mod