General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Canada and UK members.... talk to me about diesel

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 07:37 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Canada and UK members.... talk to me about diesel

so with the pending motor rebuild / swap i've been pondering the idea of importing a diesel and then running bio-diesel. i know the swap would be ALOT of work, (LOT, LOTS AND LOTS of work) but i want to look into it.

i know toyota gas motors, what to look for, and what ones came in the trucks/runners. (22r, 22re, 3vze, 3.4, 2.7, etc) but i dont know anyhting about diesel motors in toyota trucks. what are keywords i should start searching, what motors came stock in the hilux / surfs.

if you know any connections on import/export'er let me know.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out autotrader.ca and search the provinces one by one in the used vehicle part. There are many hilux that have the diesel in them, and many are companies that import and specialize in the hilux. I dont remember the names of the places but im sure the westerners will chime in. The names of some of the companies are in the ads.
as an example
http://www.canadatrader.com/result/r...icedOnly=false
http://www.canadatrader.com/result/r...icedOnly=false

Last edited by Godzilla; 10-30-2007 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:58 PM
Contributing Member

theres an importer list on mud that people reference. search "master importer list" and it should come up. also, the jdm forum on mud is very good for info on what to look for and avoid.

im not too versed on alot of the diesels as ive only been looking at 1HDT LC 80's, but i think the hilux and surf came with a 2.8 and 3.4L diesels. turbo and non. ones you want to avoid are the 2.4L turbo (2TLE's) that came in the LJ78 prados as theyre known to crack heads. the 3.0L head on the 2.4 block seems to be a fix for that problem, but better to avoid it all together.

id start hitting the mud search forums for the most accurate answers. are you not wanting to do a 5VZE swap? i saw one on WA's craigslist not too long ago with ECU & the works..although a diesel would be a much better (but $$$) conversion.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

3L (2.8 N/A) in hilux pickups, some are 2L (2.4 N/A) as well, Surfs are usually the 2L-T or 2L-TE. you gotta be careful though these engines have been known to eat cylinderheads. The KZ series surfs are beginning to come to Canada now as they are almost 15 yrs old.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:13 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by d0ubledown
theres an importer list on mud that people reference. search "master importer list" and it should come up. also, the jdm forum on mud is very good for info on what to look for and avoid.

im not too versed on alot of the diesels as ive only been looking at 1HDT LC 80's, but i think the hilux and surf came with a 2.8 and 3.4L diesels. turbo and non. ones you want to avoid are the 2.4L turbo (2TLE's) that came in the LJ78 prados as theyre known to crack heads. the 3.0L head on the 2.4 block seems to be a fix for that problem, but better to avoid it all together.

id start hitting the mud search forums for the most accurate answers. are you not wanting to do a 5VZE swap? i saw one on WA's craigslist not too long ago with ECU & the works..although a diesel would be a much better (but $$$) conversion.

thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking at the 3.4 swap, the supra swap, a diesel swap, and a 2.7 swap. i'm just getting as much info as i can at this point
Old 10-30-2007, 08:45 PM

toyotadiesel.com it's all you'll ever need!

be VERY careful if you decide to go with the 2LT, or 2LTE. PM me if you need any help with the Bio and/or WVO.

cheers,
frozen

-pray for snow
Old 11-20-2007, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tofer
so with the pending motor rebuild / swap i've been pondering the idea of importing a diesel and then running bio-diesel. i know the swap would be ALOT of work, (LOT, LOTS AND LOTS of work) but i want to look into it.

i know toyota gas motors, what to look for, and what ones came in the trucks/runners. (22r, 22re, 3vze, 3.4, 2.7, etc) but i dont know anyhting about diesel motors in toyota trucks. what are keywords i should start searching, what motors came stock in the hilux / surfs.

if you know any connections on import/export'er let me know.
hi dont know much about the diesel engine its self but over hear in the uk some of the pickup drivers are running neat vegetable oil with no problems have a chat to some of the boys on the hpoc forum.
http://www.hpoc.co.uk/index.php

mtm