General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Buying another truck, give me your suggestions, please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here is the link for that kit
http://www.offroadsolutions.com/prod....4l_swap_parts
Old 03-05-2007, 08:23 PM

yeah? well rebuild would sorta be long term...so i guess 3.4 swap would also...what is the cost difference between rebuild and swap? I just am hoping that the 282k engine will make it until whenever I have the finance to do the swap/rebuild...I see this is your first post? Welcome to yotatech! may you find much happiness and advice...
Old 03-05-2007, 08:24 PM

also what about ebay...i've been looking but there are like 100 trucks in the us and 1 in canada: and not even near me... what do ppl think about buying things like cars off ebay... and any clues as to what i'd need to do in order to register it in canada?
Old 03-05-2007, 08:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rustyrunnerboy
i think i'm gonna go with the blue one which was so much discussed earlier...i was reading the thread about how much people liked their 3.0's and that sorta helped me decide that..
I've had a truck with a 3.0L, and I'm glad I sold it. I've now got 3 trucks with 2.4L's. Personally, I would stay away from the 3.0L and stick with the 2.4L. They are so much easier to work on.

Troy

Last edited by YotaJunky; 03-05-2007 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

Mine came from Washington state and was purchased onn Ebay, everything went really smooth but you have to educate youself on shipping, customs, dutes and taxes.

Right now if the vehicle is 15yrs old or older you can bring it in with no restrictions, It just has to pass your provinces safety inspection or such.

Other wise you can check: http://www.riv.ca/ to see if it is permissable.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by troy65
I've had a truck with a 3.0L, and I'm glad I sold it. I've now got 3 trucks with 2.4L's. Personally, I would stay away from the 3.0L and stick with the 2.4L. They are so much easier to work on.

Troy
yeah? i had a 22re before this and gave me no problems, but was really really slow...i think something was wrong with it...and i know: these aren't racing trucks but sometimes it just gets too slow...what are other ppls takes on the 22re and speed? was it just the one i had or is it all?
Old 03-05-2007, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Trumpfan
Mine came from Washington state and was purchased onn Ebay, everything went really smooth but you have to educate youself on shipping, customs, dutes and taxes.

Right now if the vehicle is 15yrs old or older you can bring it in with no restrictions, It just has to pass your provinces safety inspection or such.

Other wise you can check: http://www.riv.ca/ to see if it is permissable.
sounds like a lot of work for me...way too much for "some" car, i'd do it if there was no other like it in canada, and really wanted it, but there are other trucks here, so i think i'll just stick to round here...thanks for the info...
Old 03-05-2007, 09:48 PM

The 3.0 is a decent engine considering, but with 282k I think you are taking a crapshoot as to how much longer it will last. I've had two 22re's and 3 3.0's and I'd trade my 3.0 for a 22re anyday. The 3.0 doesn't really have that much more power than a 22re
Old 03-06-2007, 06:39 AM
Contributing Member

yeah? i had a 22re before this and gave me no problems, but was really really slow...i think something was wrong with it...and i know: these aren't racing trucks but sometimes it just gets too slow...what are other ppls takes on the 22re and speed? was it just the one i had or is it all?
Mine's not fast at all either, but it sure is reliable and easy to work on. Your apparent slowness may be due to oversized tires for your gearing, timing, fuel issues, rubbing brakes, etc.. you get the idea. Have you driven any other 22re's other than your own? Perhaps you need to get behind the wheel of another truck with a 22re to get a better idea.

Troy
Old 03-06-2007, 06:41 AM

ok, yeah, i think i'm just biased because the last one i had was really crap, so hopefully the next one i get will be a lot better...and of course mods (just to the engine) will help tons...
Old 03-06-2007, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by troy65
Mine's not fast at all either, but it sure is reliable and easy to work on. Your apparent slowness may be due to oversized tires for your gearing, timing, fuel issues, rubbing brakes, etc.. you get the idea. Have you driven any other 22re's other than your own? Perhaps you need to get behind the wheel of another truck with a 22re to get a better idea.

Troy
is probably a good idea, i guess i should go and take one of these other ones out for a drive and get a good idea of how it goes...thanks...
Old 03-06-2007, 12:28 PM

ok, so i'm revamping my search, i'm gonna go 1st gen...i just woke up, smelled the coffee and remembered that i'm not buying a truck for my friends to have their own door, i'm buying it for my enjoyment...i really want a 1st gen, a good one...not like the last one i had...
Old 03-06-2007, 04:38 PM

this is the one i'm diggin' now: http://vancouver.craigslist.org/car/289320890.html
i feel pretty set on it, just need that damn loan...
Old 03-06-2007, 04:40 PM
Contributing Member

ok, so i'm revamping my search, i'm gonna go 1st gen...i just woke up, smelled the coffee and remembered that i'm not buying a truck for my friends to have their own door, i'm buying it for my enjoyment...i really want a 1st gen, a good one...not like the last one i had...
You get a attaboy award!
Old 03-06-2007, 05:16 PM

Sweet...always wanted one of those!!!
Old 03-08-2007, 01:21 PM

so i went to see this http://vancouver.craigslist.org/car/289320890.html truck...i really like it and the body is in real good shape... only thing is there seems to be some work needed. The engine has a really bad rough idle, i'm thinking timing or just needs a tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor etc) and maybe a seafoam or 2. Any other ideas, I'm gonna ask the guy to reduce the price respectively. Also i think it needs a new clutch, it's got a bad rumble when ur slowly letting it out in 1st to get going...i'm pretty sure that this is what it is as i've had a wearing clutch before and it felt like this. any other possiblities?
lemme know what you all think...thanks.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:30 PM

so i went and cheked this http://vancouver.craigslist.org/car/289320890.html truck out. i really like it; good clean body and great drivetrain. I think it needs a few things though. its got a pretty rough idle. i think it could use a good seafoam but could be more critical than that (plugs, wires, cap, rotor and the usual) or it could even be more critical and thus expensive. What are common causes of rough idle that might be in this case? i believe that it also needs a clutch as it shakes quite a lot as you are pulling away from a stand still. i believe this what it is but any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Old 03-08-2007, 01:31 PM

sorry, both of those are the pretty much the same, thought i lost the 1st one so rewrote another one...
Old 03-08-2007, 05:22 PM

that truck sounds like it might need too much for what he is asking, $5000. Even in Denver 1st Gen 4runners with no mechanical problems are going for about $2500-$3000 USD.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:36 PM
Contributing Member

so i went and cheked this http://vancouver.craigslist.org/car/289320890.html truck out. i really like it; good clean body and great drivetrain. I think it needs a few things though. its got a pretty rough idle. i think it could use a good seafoam but could be more critical than that (plugs, wires, cap, rotor and the usual) or it could even be more critical and thus expensive. What are common causes of rough idle that might be in this case? i believe that it also needs a clutch as it shakes quite a lot as you are pulling away from a stand still. i believe this what it is but any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
I think that's too much money for what you are describing. If you've got time, look around some more and find something that needs less work. I live in the Vancouver area and I think you can do better than that for $5000.

Troy

Quick Reply: Buying another truck, give me your suggestions, please!!!