General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Battery/Terminals

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The jeep battery has 600 CCA. It was just as week as my current battery. Thanks for all the tips though, hopefully i get it today cuz its actaully kinda nice out.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CJM
Your original battery is shot, you killed it by adding water to it. All batteries these days are NON maintenance=not serviceable. Way back when yea they were..not anymore.
No, I just put a new battery in my RV last week, you can add water to that, its not maintenance free. When the battery is charged/discharged, some acid naturally burns off, hence the reason you need to keep it topped off with distilled water. Now, you might have killed it by adding water thats not distilled.

Anyway, It still sounds like a low battery. If the connections were bad I would think it would crank slower and slower as it got worse, you said it just started one day. But i'm not saying the connections are not bad. Just clean and tighten battery connections, starter, grounds and try again.

But (for the third time), I'd take the battery out and charge it fully.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:15 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rowdy235
No, I just put a new battery in my RV last week, you can add water to that, its not maintenance free. When the battery is charged/discharged, some acid naturally burns off, hence the reason you need to keep it topped off with distilled water. Now, you might have killed it by adding water thats not distilled.
Is your RV battery a deep cycle? A deep cycle isnt a starting battery..

And adding water isnt recommended but I have done it before myself. Hell, I added plain old water to my lawnmower battery but that doesnt mean I expected it to work.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, its for the truck part, just a regular Les Schwab battery. And the guy at LS told me that adding water was just fine, and it was normal battery maintenance.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

Whoa there, easy on the "all batteries are maintenance free" aligations... The batteries I sell definately arent maintenance free... You should check them about once ever couple months or more. Only batteries labeled "maintenance free" are maintenance free
Old 03-29-2008, 05:29 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by L33T35T 4Runner
Whoa there, easy on the "all batteries are maintenance free" aligations... The batteries I sell definately arent maintenance free... You should check them about once ever couple months or more. Only batteries labeled "maintenance free" are maintenance free
Working in a shop and on the road about 95% of batteries are labeled as such FYI.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:50 PM

Well, i took your advice and i grounded the jumpers and hooked the positive up to my starter bolt and it started right up. So by by passing my battery connections it has to be those wires cuz soon as i stoped it after a long drive it did it again. So im going to replace all the wires. Thanks for the help any more input is still appreciated though thanks?

Justin
Old 03-29-2008, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Justinvd
Yeah they are painted, but not where the make contact witht he Battery posts or where the negative and postive wires hook up. They are sposed to for marine applications but i thought i would try them out. Any input on my problem much appreciated.

Thanks, Justin
Ahhh... Yes they are painted where they make contact. Look at the terminal again under the wing nut where your power and ground wires attaches. Hows that gonna work for you.

I perfer that type terminal, NOT painted of course, over the OEM terminal because they make better contact around the battery terminals. Look at a Toyota one, sorry but it is not that great, it does not make full contact around the posts and they corrode like crazy even when you put grease on them.

Clean that paint off under the wing nuts if you plan on keeping them.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:31 PM

Well i went and got some new wire today and lugs. I put the 2 new grounds and one starter wire together. Soon as i recleaned it and got it hooked up it fired right up, so the battery was good. Something to do with the wiring but its all good now, i hope people who have this problem wich seams common can learn from this hahah