General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

almost lost control of my truck due to something I wouldnt expect

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 06:30 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
almost lost control of my truck due to something I wouldnt expect

Im driving back from classes and I hear this clicking clacking in a straight line.. starting to think its my lock right but. it only does it when im turning.. so im like what????

I keep driving and then it gets all wobbly from hell and I start swerving all over the place. I pull over.

Some theif or maybe just some douchebag decided to steal two of my lug nuts and loosen the rest up to where I almost would have slid my 4runner on its belly pan if I had lost all 4 of my wheels.

Not a fun time for me. Im just glad I got em tightened up and got home safe. man that was not fun at all..

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. just though id share my experience
Old 09-26-2006, 06:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
ah the click click of a wheel thats loose....
Old 09-26-2006, 06:40 AM

Hah, I've been in a vehicle that lost a wheel before. It was my aunt's piece of crap Lada wagon. She goes around a corner, and the rear driver wheel came off and we skidded to a stop. I was pretty young when it happened, but I remember even then feeling like an idiot because I'm standing around watching some random jack the car up and put the wheel back on. Yeesh...
Old 09-26-2006, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

Seen that happen before, some guy in my auto shop class in high school, let one of the coaches take his truck back (we did the brakes). Needless to say this particular douche who was in charge of putting the wheels back on didnt tighten them down, coach got like 50 feet, and lost two wheels. Boy was he pissed. They almost closed the auto shop, that kid got BEAT after school.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i guess some kid was jealous you had a nice truck now you got me thinkin what these kids would do at my school pretty sure i have the niceist truck there that i payed for
Old 09-26-2006, 07:28 AM
Banned

yeah i dunno. trying to figure out when this could have happened. At least i know what to hear for if these lugs are ever loose again.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:49 AM
Contributing Member

I had this piece of crap subaru hatchback when I was in high school...one day I was heading to my g/f's house after school and I heard that same clicking but I knew I had a trashed cv so I didn't think anything of it. Next thing I know is my car goes crashing down on the drivers side and I look to my left...and my tire is passing me up and ramping over peoples bushes in their yard! Luckily I got it to the side of the road when it finally did stop after going 45mph. It chredded my lower ball joint and when I creeped it home...it fell apart in the drive way...good times!
Old 09-26-2006, 07:50 AM

Made me think of this...
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/2006/09/whelsfalloff.html
Old 09-26-2006, 07:52 AM
Banned

my brother had someone loosen the lugs on a front wheel. It came off when he was doing about 75 mph. He was smart enought to just coast to a stop on the shoulder as the rotor ground into the asphault. He went to get the wheel/tire and also found 4 of the 6 lug nuts! That was the amazing part as he made it almost 100 miles from home before they let loose.
He was a day late for thanksgiving dinner because he couldn't get a new rotor in time but at least he wasn't hurt. Never found out who did that to him.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:03 AM
Banned

yeah 4mogger at 75 that is a miracle nothing happened to him. that would be a bad thing.

Im just glad I got it off the road before I had all 4 go off the vehicle.

whoever thought this was funny (or a theif) really needs an attitude adjustment. pretty dangerous thing.. if it was a wheel jacker, he didnt have a big enough jack to lift my 4 inchs of lift and 33s of the ground to get em off.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:04 AM
Contributing Member

Thats Why Stepdad Got 2 Sets of Lock Nuts...

We knew that his rig vas far superior than any other SUv in the parking lot (it is only stock but still)

Plus we go to New York alot.....

But there are still alot of jealous douchbags out there trying to destory our yota's!!!
Old 09-26-2006, 08:12 AM
Banned

That sounds like exactly what happened--not simple vandalism-- they were going to take them but could not get it jacked up high enough and gave up.
Definitely need wheel locks everyone--or like the above post--two different sets that are mounted opposite each other to keep the wheel on even if the other 4 "go missing."
At least you "won." I like that they were not prepared for a rig with a lift and big tires.
I had to go buy a special "SUV" jack with a long throw lift just to reach the axles. But I still have a set of locks on the wheels just in case. And my rear rack was also designed to help keep gear/tire and wheel/and hi lift secure as well.

Last edited by 4Mogger; 09-26-2006 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:40 AM
Banned

well I do have wheel locks but the 2 sets of wheel locks sounds like a pretty cool idea. Might have to do that. just hope non of them have hi jack lifts.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:48 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know how bad it can be, my cousin was driving with a friend to lincoln tech and the guy had just bought a used monte carlo. All of the sudden they feelt he thing shift and the wheel passes them as they are in disbelief.

Cops saw the whole thing and laughed at them when they told'em they were going to lincoln tech.

On my truck everywheel has a locking lug and no one would wanna steel my wheels or tires, they aint nuttin special. Now on my c4 vette that th tires cost 250 a piece every wheel has 4 different locking lugs..makes it a PITA to get them off but its worth it.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:52 AM
Contributing Member

I think the multiple lock nuts is a good idea... I like it....you think 2 on a 6 lug yota though would hold? Whats the minimum number of lugs you guys would feel safe driving on?
Old 09-26-2006, 10:15 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think 3 is a better number, in my opinion if you have an expensive rig (which we all generally do) and the tires and rims alone cost about $500+ multiple locking lugs is a really good idea.

Maybe a pain to remove on the trail or at home, but you wont ever lose your wheels. Course you could put the regular lugs back on for wheeling if you wanted.

Like I said above about my C4, the tires and rims are worth in the 1800-2200 dollar range even with the factory wheels since the ones I have are rare. I would hate to lose them.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:00 PM
Contributing Member

Glad you are ok. Where were you when it happened? I had someone vandalize mine in a parking lot the other day. What is this worl coming to?
Old 09-26-2006, 02:45 PM
Contributing Member

Yup, the vandelism is getting bad. Being that I live in Santa Fe, and most people here don't really like the big rigs, I have taken extra precaussions as well. When I put my spare tire on the mount, I have 3 locking lug nuts. I have only 1 locking lug nut for each tire. But trying to get it off, it gonna be difficult being that its so high and the tires are so heavy.

I also made a lock for my winch, so nobody would take off with the synthetic rope.

Their gonna have to really work to steal that one.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HarrisonP
Glad you are ok. Where were you when it happened? I had someone vandalize mine in a parking lot the other day. What is this worl coming to?
I have yet to figure out where this happened but Im guessing at my work parking lot :/ i was only 4.5 miles from my house when the huge amount of shaking occured.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:45 PM
Contributing Member

Damn... check with your school maybe they have a security cam that can see where you were parked, if they got tape and the cops can ID the bastardo degenerado[s] you could have them charged with attempted murder,... an imaginative DA could even go for one of those new terrorism charges that dubya got on the books... something along the lines of the accused was "trying to make people affraid to drive their cars" or " endevouring to use the vehicle as a tool in a random act of domestic terrorism." To bad we ain't in saudi...you could chop of his hand and no one would say boo to you.

Quick Reply: almost lost control of my truck due to something I wouldnt expect