General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

4runner-Landcruiser

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4runner-Landcruiser

I didn't find a Forum for just mid 90's landcruisers so I hope I can post here. I am researching selling my 90 runner to get a mid 90's L.C. Does anybody have any advice, like what to watch out for. I basically want to build a expedition style vehicle that serves me as a d.d. too. I want more power and room then what I have now. Until I can get a fj I will have to settle for now. Any advice welcome.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'93+ LCs had the option of front and rear lockers, I do believe.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:35 PM

This is a good LC forum

http://www.ih8mud.com/
Old 12-09-2008, 02:12 PM

Get a 93+ (FZJ80). Look for a front and rear locker'ed version. It is a dial to the left of the steering wheel. There is usually a list of maintenance items that need to be addressed, so be ready to spend some cash on that. And I mean not your typical 4Runner maintenance cash ($), but Land Cruiser cash ($$$$).

I will say that if you're looking for a daily driver, the FZJ80 is not a good candidate, especially if you have limited funds. They retailed at above $50k+ when new, and the parts and labor reflect this price. You can get them for cheap, but they are not cheap to maintain, and especially not so to modify.

I looked for an FZJ80 for months before giving up (for a second vehicle). They were either too beat up, too far away to look over, or if they were clean, they were gone within a day (sold to other Cruiser-heads who were/are constantly looking out for a clean 80).

They are awesome vehicles and I hope to own a clean one someday, but just wasn't meant to be for now, I guess. Good luck on the search.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
step up to a 3rd gen. Runner-plenty of expedition capables out there

You may get more horsepower in the LC80 but you also will be carrying about 1000 more pounds. Probably more.

Get the 5 speed 3rd gen V6-look for the supercharger if you want to run premium fuel all the time.

Many issues related to the S/Charger that I won't detail here. Think $$$$