General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

22R - does this noisy timing chain look ok? (pics/vid)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 05:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
22R - does this noisy timing chain look ok? (pics/vid)

This is my first Yota, '85 with 22R. I bought my truck 4 months ago, and put about 6k mikes on it. it now has 173k.
Previous owner said he did the chain guides, everything else he said about the truck has been true so far so I believe him.

I have been noticing a noise that I have been hearing more of recently. It is a rattling / wrapping noise that happens at a certain rpm and continues until I shift to the next gear up, only when the motor has no or very little load on it. The rattle is like the rattle that I hear for a couple seconds at a cold start, which is the time it takes for the tensioner to build pressure, allowing the chain to have excess slack. It's not a heat shield, it definitely sounds like something is wearing out. 2wd, 4wd, neutral, clutch in/out makes no difference. It's not as noticeable when revving in neutral though. Driving 65 or faster on the highway is the worst unless I'm going up a hill, putting a load on the motor.

First instinct was rod knock but after doing a lot of research on here I thought it may be timing chain wearing thru the guides.

So I took the valve cover off and looked in expecting to see plastic carnage and it looks fine.

And after seeing other people's pics with grooves in the timing cover, I didn't see any on mine. (or was I looking in the wrong area?)

Here's a vid of me pushing on the chain. Driver's side has a lot more slack, passenger side is tight. Stretched chain?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzFtZju4Emg

Here's a vid of the rattle but the mic on the camera barely picks the rattle up over the road noise. It's so much louder in real life, I might try a different camera.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM_Qa2ZtWTw
12 to 18 sec you can hear the rattle, then around 31 sec you can here it start/stop/start/stop etc as I was taking the load on/off the engine.

Here's one that I shot on a quieter road, rattle is a little more distinct:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtDzYuot0yk
It's much louder in real life though.

Thanks in advance for expert opinions, I'm still transitioning from hondas where timing belts snap and ruin motors in 1 sec.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
well after all of that, I put it back together last night and topped the oil off since it was just a little below the middle of the acceptable range on the dipstick.
And the rattling was a little bit quieter on the way to work today, kind of more how it used to be before it got loud enough to make me worry. Now it sounds more like loud valves.