Announcements Announcements and news by Staff to let the community know what we are up to at YotaTech

Inappropriate Language Enforcement

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 05:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inappropriate Language Enforcement

All,

We recently modified the censor to now display the censored words - previously they would simply be blacked out.
We chose a symbol that is not normally used so we would be able to tell whether somebody was simply using an asterisk to self-censor or whether the automated system was catching it.

With the censor simply blacking out the words it was very tough for the Staff to keep track of repeat offenders as even a censored word is still against the family-friendly environment that we strive for here.

Please be aware that the Staff is keeping a close eye on this and will take the following action when censored words are used:

1st Offense - Official warning will be issued; there are no points issued when a warning is given.
2nd Offense - An "Inappropriate Language" Infraction will be issued; this is a 30 point Infraction (points do not expire for 12 months).

90 points in a 12-month span will result in an automatic ban.

If I posted on here the way that I talk in my daily life, I would have been gone years ago - it's not a hard thing to get used to by any means.

YotaTech has lived by the family-friendly motto since it's creation in 2002 and has done quite well, I feel, because of it.
Many of our members surf here with their kiddos on their laps or even surf from work - it's nice to know there is little risk of something inappropriate popping up.

If you have any questions about which words are censored and which ones are allowed in moderation please see Rule #3 in the Forum Rules & Guidelines.
Be warned, there is a link to a text file in this rule where the words ARE displayed - I would suggest viewing this from home and without any "sensitive" eyes around.

We thank you for your cooperation and continued support of YotaTech - without you, we wouldn't exist.

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 09-10-2010 at 05:58 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

As always, keep up the good work guys! I was over at PBB yesterday, and I was reminded of why I like YT being a family friendly forum. Thanks.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Thank you.

This is one of the few sites I can surf from work like I am doing now on my lunch break.

If I want to surf POR or some other sites from work during breaks when I am away from my office here, I use the Droid.

Many employer's monitor their employee's Internet activity and will fire them for viewing inappropriate content such as foul language, so I would rather play it safe.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Old 09-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Corey
Many employer's monitor their employee's Internet activity and will fire them for viewing inappropriate content such as foul language, so I would rather play it safe.
I get daily reports on this about our employees - definitely a legitimate concern.

Fink