Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

What is the minimum I need to have to go off road

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the minimum I need to have to go off road

My friends keep bugging me to go wheeling, but I keep telling them I don't want to go till I get a my truck "ready".
I have been fixing all the mechanical problems with the truck is I find them. I have changed all the fluids out, completed a tune up, did the timing chain, repacked the wheel bearings, Adj valves. etc.

I have I have some recovery gear, (hi lift, shovel, chains, straps etc.). I don't have any armor other than what came stock on the truck.

What do I need to take with me go off road and be able to drive home at the end of the day?

What does everyone else take with them wheeling?
Old 11-06-2008, 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a good running truck. depending on the terrain, thats all you need. with mine, its nearly all stock, and i can take it almost anywhere. well, i could, before i popped a head gasket... LOL.
a good starting list is as follows
ARB lockers
ARB bumper
a slight lift
slightly bigger tires (33s maybe? i do fine with 31s)
a CB to call for help in case anything happens
another truck with you to answer the call

Last edited by ozziesironmanoffroad; 11-06-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:04 PM

Well it all depends on what your version of 'wheeling' is. Is is a basic trail ride? Are you doing some technical trails? Have you ridden along with your friends on the trips? It may be a good way to see if you are ready.

I used to wheel my '92 Subaru.

As for recovery gear, I think you have a good start. I would say, take it your truck out on a shake down run. See how it does. Just make sure you are not leaking any fluids, take it easy, and have some fun. Figure out what the limits of your truck are.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:07 PM

a running truck and a winch thats it
Old 11-06-2008, 07:07 PM

Got a whole box full of dudads start with a decent socket set then screw drivers extra oil always extra belts some grease DUCK TAPE black wire tape a good knife water and you dont need no big ol truck youll learn quick you stock toyota will walk with the best of em stock if you drive it right.. full size spare never hurts but not needed bring a patch kit to.. Good luck Take your camera and show us!!! later
Old 11-06-2008, 07:11 PM

you dont need anyting to go offroad, just do what your truck is capable of and you wont have any problems
Old 11-06-2008, 08:11 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like you have everything you need - which is simply a well-maintained vehicle and a recovery strap. You should have a front tow hook stock, and you can use the tow hitch (NOT the bumper!) for the rear recovery point.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerbob
My friends keep bugging me to go wheeling, but I keep telling them I don't want to go till I get a my truck "ready".
I have been fixing all the mechanical problems with the truck is I find them. I have changed all the fluids out, completed a tune up, did the timing chain, repacked the wheel bearings, Adj valves. etc.

I have I have some recovery gear, (hi lift, shovel, chains, straps etc.). I don't have any armor other than what came stock on the truck.

What do I need to take with me go off road and be able to drive home at the end of the day?

What does everyone else take with them wheeling?
Like was said, take it out and see what it'll do. If you go to walker valley, better take some friends with you(not that you should EVER wheel alone). You have all the same stuff I do, I just keep mine in the back at all times. I actually use it more for other people than me!! I also have engine coolant, oil, powersteering fluid...etc. just in case. I just came from the east coast where it's flat and muddy, so I have NO idea if my truck will handle the tree trails and tight squeezes around here. Plus, I have to go off island to find anything and that's a reason I'm hesitant to go out and flog my truck.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:35 PM

assuming yours is a manual....

a left foot,
a right foot,
two hands,
two arms....

that should do it!!! haha

but really. just make sure everything is mechanically good to go. never go alone. and be careful.
bobby
Old 11-06-2008, 08:41 PM
Contributing Member

A truck, a friend, a spare tire, and a strap.

Everything else will just make things easier.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
common Since !
Old 11-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by olharleyman
common Since !
X2 on the common sense...seen many a well equipped truck left on the trail due to someone doing something stupid beyond their capabilities...
One of them was mine once...Live and Learn..

Find a local club and go on some organized runs. It is a great way to meet a few people that have been wheeling for a while, learn some good recovery techiques and have some fun.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by 4Runner202020
assuming yours is a manual....

a left foot,
a right foot,
two hands,
two arms....

that should do it!!! haha

but really. just make sure everything is mechanically good to go. never go alone. and be careful.
bobby
DONT FORGET GAS ....HAHAHA no you should be good go out have fun and learn your rig. I went out in an 83 with stock 27 in tall street tires and it even impress myself.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe some food, either to eat on the trail, or in case you get lost/stuck, you'll have something to eat other than your seat cushions.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:45 PM

i would make sure to have a good set of tires and a spare or a plug kit/compressor. i hate having to help people out that that end up in the middle of no where with "P" rated tires and no spare.

on a truck as old as yours it would be a good idea to at least change the u-joints on the rear driveshaft and the front if they look weathered.

otherwise take out to the bush and drive it like you stole it. toyotas are the best performing vehicles off-road right out of the box as far as mainstream vehicles are concerned. even trucks that come with off-road badging like "fx4" and powerwagon can't keep up to any 4wd toyota in my opinion. i know because i used to drive these trucks until 6 months ago.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:07 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by stormin94
Maybe some food, either to eat on the trail, or in case you get lost/stuck, you'll have something to eat other than your seat cushions.
LOLZ !!!

Old 11-09-2008, 05:39 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I have seen countless folks spend lots of money on lift, tires, and all types of modifications only to get an email several weeks/months later wanting to sell their truck or have me buy it...cause they never bothered to spend any money on the truck itself getting it in good functional shape.

Without a good running dependable 4WD truck to start, all the other stuff is pointless.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:47 AM
Contributing Member

Waskilly said a mouthful and is spot-on.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:57 AM
Contributing Member

Within your capabilities

Seriously the main thing to keep in mine is to drive within your capabilities. Don’t bite off more then you or your rig can handle. Even if that cute thing or your best friend sitting next to you says “sure you can do it” don’t. slow is better.
Don’t forget to take the basic 10 essentials
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Essentials
living in San Diego I carry at least a full case of bottled water in all my vehicles (except the motorcycle) Good luck.

Last edited by SEMSD; 11-09-2008 at 07:07 AM.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:22 AM

MOst important, don't let your friends push you into a situation you're not comfortable with. Take it easy and slow until you know what you and your rig can handle.

Quick Reply: What is the minimum I need to have to go off road