Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

REVTEK lift w/ 2inch body lift question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question REVTEK lift w/ 2inch body lift question?

Hey guys/gals, this is my first post here so be gentle. Anyways, I have a 1995 Tacoma w/ a 2inch PROCOMP body lift on it. I was thinking about getting a REVTEK lift for it. The lift is a 3inch lift up front w/ 2 1/2 in rear. Do you think that this is a good idea or no? I wont be doing any off-roading so do you think this is safe, good idea/bad idea, exc. Please let me know any suggesstions or comments...feel free to tell me the truth. Thanks to all that reply!
Old 02-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Go for it There is nothing unsafe about mixing body lifts and suspension lifts since they have nothing to do with eachother.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:09 PM

what...why do you need such a big lift for 32'' tires....and no offroading...whats the point of any of that?(not hating on you.. just asking)
Old 02-11-2008, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Albert.G
what...why do you need such a big lift for 32'' tires....and no offroading...whats the point of any of that?(not hating on you.. just asking)
Well I just sold some stuff laying around and have some extra money for the lift. The lift sounds good to me but I just want some other opinions. This would be my way of working up to where I want to be in the future. My tires fit fine now but I just like the look of the extra clearance. (I know you guys can bash on me all you want about the whole pavement princess thing but I dont care) Thanks.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:40 PM

Everyone to there own...do what works for ya and what you like your rig to do. Some of us on here go for functionality, others for looks, some a lil of both, but IMHO figure which way you're gonna go and maybe save a few chips on the way.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jdizzydub
Everyone to there own...do what works for ya and what you like your rig to do. Some of us on here go for functionality, others for looks, some a lil of both, but IMHO figure which way you're gonna go and maybe save a few chips on the way.
Hey, thanks for the positive comment. I was hoping I wasn't the only one who felt like that. Thanks!
Old 02-11-2008, 06:09 PM

Yea man, I'm looking to do the same with my 4runner, only 2.5 on both front and rear. only for looks, though. I care too much about my rig to bash it going offroad.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:16 PM

well i mean im not hating or bashing you guys, whatever floats your boat, but if its what you wish, id do it, it wont interfere with anything...you might get worse gas mileage but hey , do it up, do you camp or anything?
Old 02-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Contributing Member

I doubt a body lift would make your mpg worse. The only effect in that aspect would be a tiny bit more drag due to more surface area being opened up. Nothing that would really make a difference
Old 02-11-2008, 06:29 PM

he already has a bodylift..lifting your truck does give you worse mpg...not by much...but think about it so much more drag
Old 02-11-2008, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

Sorry, was thinking about the other bl thread in the noob section.

But I really don't see a small lift doing you any worse in the mpg department. Its not that much more drag..
Old 02-11-2008, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It will be just fine.

I'd start saving your pennies though, I'd be willing to bet that after the lift, you'll quickly start wanting bigger tires
Old 02-11-2008, 07:22 PM

since your not off roading i cant imagine that you would have any issues unsafe, but you could put your money to better use, like power mods or something.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:36 PM

Actually the revtek kit lifts the front 3.5" and three in the rear. IMHO, save up for a six inch suspension, you'll regret not doing it later. I love the revtek kit because it has been great to me, and has enhanced its offroad manners, but i would like to be a bit bigger. I use my truck offroad and has performed great. The bad things about the bracket lifts is the amount of diff drop. Like the Fabtech 6", With 33" tires on both setups, you will find that the revtek equipped trucks will have more ground clearance in the front. But if you seriously wheel, which you said you don't, both would be fine. If you did wheel it rough, then stick to the revtek. The 6" kits will fail much before the revtek will.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:39 PM

A body lift actually helps you on trails. When you encounter those steep drop-offs, and ditches, or whatever, that extra three inches helps keep your bumpers off the ground. A body lift is much safer than a suspension lift, due to the fact that the bodylift lifts the cab and bed, which is roughly a quarter of the vehicle's weight, the suspension lift increases the height of the drivetrain, which is much heavier than the cab. If you don't drive like an idiot you will be fine either way.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by tacoma728
A body lift actually helps you on trails. When you encounter those steep drop-offs, and ditches, or whatever, that extra three inches helps keep your bumpers off the ground. A body lift is much safer than a suspension lift, due to the fact that the bodylift lifts the cab and bed, which is roughly a quarter of the vehicle's weight, the suspension lift increases the height of the drivetrain, which is much heavier than the cab. If you don't drive like an idiot you will be fine either way.
Some also argue that body lifts are unsafe because the bolts sheer and off goes you and your cab lol but I don't think this is very common unless you have a HUGE body lift. I've never thought about the weight and the COG.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:35 PM

Smile

I have been looking after different lifts lately and recently I found a 3inch front/rear SKYJACKER lift kit. Would this be a better option if I am not planning on wheelin'? I get A LOT of snow where I live so that will be about as much of a thrill as my truck will get. I'm kinda new to this stuff so sorry if I don't make any scense here. Power wise, I just have a K&N intake system, Hi-flow cat, and flowmaster muffiler. I plan on keeping these tires for a while considering I got them brand new less than a week ago. They have about 200miles on them right now. With either kit, I should be able to clear 33's in the future right? I'm going of the FAQ's sticky. Thanks to all that reply!
Old 02-12-2008, 07:46 AM

Depending on what size wheel you want to go with, I have both 15x8 and 15x10 with 33x12.50 tires. With the 8" wide wheel, i noticed less rubbing while wheeling hard, though with the 10" wide wheels, it is a lot more prevalent. With that soon to be Revtek kit and the bodylift, you will be fine. I have a 91 pickup and soon i will purchase a set of 35s that can be switched out for both.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:36 PM

Anybody have comments about the SKYJACKER lift? Just want to see which one is better for me. Thanks!
Old 02-12-2008, 01:41 PM

I don't have very much insight about the skyjacker kit. I think it is you're basic adjustable coilover setup, similiar to the Fabtech 0.5-3" coilovers. Honestly, save up for a six inch suspension lift. It will be worth it in the long run.

Quick Reply: REVTEK lift w/ 2inch body lift question?