Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

O2 Sensor-Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O2 Sensor-Help

I need help. Bank 1 sensor 2 Oxygen sensor malfunction. What does this mean? where is it located? How do I replace? and is it necessary to replace immediately? Just bought a 96 4runner. Had it for 3 days and the Check engine light just came on. All the information that you could give me would be of great help. Also.. does anyone know of a cheap place to get one? Thanks,

Adam
Old 02-25-2009, 12:20 PM

Sensor 2 is located after the cat(if you have one) and is either itself bad or the wiring to it. Usually it is the sensor unless you have had some mice chew up the wires. All you need to remove it is some lubricant(it will be on there pretty tight) and either a 7/8 or 15/16 socket I think.

The rear o2 has nothing to do with the way the vehicle runs. It simply gives the computer a reference point to measure the first o2 sensor(which does affect the vehicles performance). You could just leave it alone if you wanted but then you would not know if the light was on for another malfunction as it would be on all the time.

Lastly, it could also be a burned out converter(cat). The second o2 sensor is suppose to switch slower than the first one because it is on the back side of the cat which restricts the exhaust flow. If it is switching at the same speed as the front one then you have a burned out cat. If it is not switching at all then you have a bad sensor.

Thomas
Old 02-25-2009, 12:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by yota8083
Sensor 2 is located after the cat(if you have one) and is either itself bad or the wiring to it. Usually it is the sensor unless you have had some mice chew up the wires. All you need to remove it is some lubricant(it will be on there pretty tight) and either a 7/8 or 15/16 socket I think.

The rear o2 has nothing to do with the way the vehicle runs. It simply gives the computer a reference point to measure the first o2 sensor(which does affect the vehicles performance). You could just leave it alone if you wanted but then you would not know if the light was on for another malfunction as it would be on all the time.

Lastly, it could also be a burned out converter(cat). The second o2 sensor is suppose to switch slower than the first one because it is on the back side of the cat which restricts the exhaust flow. If it is switching at the same speed as the front one then you have a burned out cat. If it is not switching at all then you have a bad sensor.

Thomas

Fink
Old 02-25-2009, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by yota8083

Thomas

What do you mean by "it's suppose to switch slower"? you mean it's nots suppose to go out quicker than the first one(relating to the o2 sensor)?... also... switching at the same speed... I'm sorry. I just don't understand what you mean by switch, like the gears switching. Obviously I don't understand what the whole purpose of the o2 sensor is. can you clarify? Thanks!
Old 02-25-2009, 08:25 PM
Contributing Member

Basically - there is one sensor in front (closer to the engine) of the cat converter that takes a baseline emissions reading.
There is another sensor behind (closer to the trunk) the cat converter that takes another reading of the emissions and it compares the two.

As long as that value falls where the emissions spec require, no CEL.
If it doesn't, BINGO - CEL.

That's a very basic explanation but hopefully that will help.

Fink