Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

my sas- help

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my sas- help

so iv been doing my research lately and im trying to source out parts to do the sas on my 4runner. i have access to an 85 pickup with solid axle. it has the original suspension complete. how much of the front suspension of this truck can i actually use?

most people use the trail gear or similar kits but are they really necessary?

thanks in advance, i cant wait to get started on this.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
You need to do a WHOLE lot more research first.

Try this:
http://www.wabfab.org/technical/SASinstall.htm

Old 10-06-2009, 05:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
search dooode
Old 10-07-2009, 10:57 AM

sorry i thought this was a forum, you know where ppl ask questions. if i had found my answer when i searched i suppose i wouldn't have started a new thread asking the question.

so either you can answer my question, ask for me to eleborate more on what im asking or the mods can just go ahead and delete my membership cuz i must be in the wrong place. sorry

Old 10-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
So do you want your thread about SAS to stay in newbie land and folks will play nice or try another section and let folks honestly respond?

Nothing on your 85 axle suspension is worth a crap nor is your IFS, you cut it all off, as described in the link I gave you. That answered both your questions.

Unless you can fab your on junk then yes you will need a SAS kit and a bunch more. SAS is not the half of it.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:22 PM

Often you can find a fab shop near you that can fab up what ever you need for your sas. Just do it which ever way works best for you. A local fab shop near me made me a super beefy drop box which you don't get in the marlin or trail gear sas kit and it was like $125 which isnt bad in my eyes for the quality of work. But I'd ask around to see if a fab shop is any good.
PS: The same guy who built my drop box welded coils to a frame of a jeep for a guy who just wanted him to fab up a lift. lol. I heard he was pissed. I only buy single parts from him. lol
Old 10-08-2009, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depending upon what you are looking for, theoretically you can swap the axle, and springs onto your truck. Obviously you'll be doing all the same cutting of the originally IFS on your truck, regardless of what you decide to do about springs and such with the Solid axle. You'll definitely need the front cross-member from Marlin or Trail-gear or whom ever to weld onto your truck, and you'll need a Cross-over/high steer kit to match up with your stock IFS steering box. You'll also need shock hoops (or replacement shock mounts from an '84/85 truck). And more, these are just a couple of the big items I can think of immediately.

Personally, I would assume go with the SAS kit from Marlin and not have the head ache of dealling with sourcing, matching and/or fabricating parts that are readily available from Manufacturers. The kit may not be cheap, but it is complete. And you have to keep in mind that major projects like this generally aren't cheap. But having an axle to begin with is big step in the right direction and takes a good sized chunck out of the cost of the build.

Good Luck with it and post your build thread here so we can see it progress