Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

L series Detent Spring and Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
L series Detent Spring and Compatibility

Internals of the new (to me) L52hd
Greetings,

My clutch just went out in my 83 pickup (22r hybrid with L52 and stock duals,) and I need to go about changing the clutch. Since the synchros are pretty much shot in my current trans, I went ahead and bought a Marlin crawler built L52HD from a buddy who his swapping his 83 to a 3rzfe. The only problem with the marlin trans is it would sometimes slip out of first and third when coasting (but never under load.) This trans did come from a personal friend so I believe what he said about only slipping when coasting. I went ahead and replaced the external detent springs which actually did greatly help the retention in third gear (stick "clicks" into third as it should.) Now, according to my FSM I believe the spring that holds the stick in first is actually inside the top cover of the transmission itself.

1. Is this true?

If that is the case, then what I would like to do is rob the top cover from a donor L50 I have, which has a properly working detent on first gear as it "clicks" into gear as it should. If the L50 and L52 top plates and shift forks are the same, then it should mean that these should swap over no problem correct? I'd like to use the L50 assembled top cover on the L52HD assuming they will bolt up no problem, especially if it solves the "slipping out of first" issue.

NOTE: Ive had the top cover off of the L52HD and it is perfect inside, fluid that came out is clean, synchros and gears are in perfect shape. And, as far as I know, the L52HD only involves boring for larger bearings, so I see no reason that the swapping of the shift forks in the top plate would be an issue. Please let me know if what I propose doing sounds reasonable, or ask me to elaborate on something if it seems like I haven't described well. Thanks!

Last edited by Dparr2ndgen; 11-15-2016 at 05:03 PM.