Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Just a helpful hint "shock Boots"

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 05:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
meh maybe the boot if just a pointless way to keep dust/rocks off the shaft for freeway queens, and another way to make sure offroaders have to buy them more frequently...if they lasted longer you wouldn't buy them as often!
Old 07-16-2007, 01:30 AM

wow the search button did it's job. I was just about to post this topic.lol Thanks for the answer. I to mountain bike and we remove them too
Old 07-21-2007, 04:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was discussing the boot/bootless topic with my boss, Bruce, of Bruce Berry Auto Repair, and he suggested Just attaching the top of the boot and leaving the bottom open. That way no dings or scratching on the shaft, and any water that gets in will be able to drain out. I'm going to try it on my nice new KYB MonoMax's, which, by the way, don't do you any good sitting in the boot (pun intended) of your 4Runner , hopefully by the end of the weekend they will be where they should be.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I remember someone saying they helped keep the shaft from rusting in the salt belt... but... I to have witnessed them doing nothing but holding water..so i cant imagine it to be good either way.

I run bootless, i think boots are hideous, especially when they wear and scrunch up all crooked.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:55 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Boots are NO GOOD. They are for LOOKS only. Even if you ran them with the bottoms "open", stuff will get in there and hold water. If they won't hold water like that anyway.

Super bad idea those stupid things.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:29 PM

Bootless for me too! Funny thing is the truck I got the shocks/springs off had a bad crank seal leak and the guy never fixed it, just kept dumping oil in so the entire bottom of the truck to about the t-case had a half inch coat of grease on it, the shocks were black and I couldnt even tell what brand they were(they were well lubed atleast!), the engine had atleast an inch of grease on everything.. some people are funny.

I know from mountain biking/mx that boots just make things worse. My Marzocchi Shivers on my Dh bike have plastic guards to protect the aluminum stantion tubes(shafts) from trees, rocks, squirrels, etc.. But a scary thought is if a rock got trapped in between the guard and the shaft it would eat the aluminum and coating on the stantions in seconds which will eat at the seals which on an inverted fork will make it leak oil like crazy.

You can see the guards are serving their purpose, the stickers wore off and there is quite a few good deep scratches in them.

Some people run nylon stantion covers to protect from scrapes and such but dont realize that when they get dusty/dirty they turn into sandpaper and kill your stantions, ive seen it alot.

Last edited by Island_Yota; 07-21-2007 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:44 AM

My boss will give me a hard time about it, but I've decided to run 'em nekid.

Now in a few more mins., I'm going to get them out of the boot and put 'em on.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:32 PM

boots weere a wat explorer and rancho could make extra money charging for 'cool' colored boots, which often led to rustage and then newly purchased shocks, with nice new 'cool' colored boots which trapped water and dirt and led to rustage which led to......uh new shocks...
if you wanna use something to protect your shock shaft from nicks, use foam, and wrap it....it'll be ugly as hell, but water cant stay in the spongy foam. periodically inspect to make sure solids arent any small rocks in there.
those plastic boots suck....
Old 08-16-2007, 11:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Island_Yota
Bootless for me too! Funny thing is the truck I got the shocks/springs off had a bad crank seal leak and the guy never fixed it, just kept dumping oil in so the entire bottom of the truck to about the t-case had a half inch coat of grease on it, the shocks were black and I couldnt even tell what brand they were(they were well lubed atleast!), the engine had atleast an inch of grease on everything.. some people are funny.

I know from mountain biking/mx that boots just make things worse. My Marzocchi Shivers on my Dh bike have plastic guards to protect the aluminum stantion tubes(shafts) from trees, rocks, squirrels, etc.. But a scary thought is if a rock got trapped in between the guard and the shaft it would eat the aluminum and coating on the stantions in seconds which will eat at the seals which on an inverted fork will make it leak oil like crazy.

[IMG]*snipped to save space*[/IMG]
You can see the guards are serving their purpose, the stickers wore off and there is quite a few good deep scratches in them.

Some people run nylon stantion covers to protect from scrapes and such but dont realize that when they get dusty/dirty they turn into sandpaper and kill your stantions, ive seen it alot.

I am running my front shocks bootless since one was missing when I bought them, now you guys are making me wonder if I should take the rear ones off too Guess they do no good anyways.

p.s nice fork