Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

How to replace the hard steel brake lines on a 89 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to replace the hard steel brake lines on a 89 4runner

Hay I have a 89 4runner and I need to replace all the lines startin at the ones that run the 8' length of the truck than all the ones in the back. I am having troubles getting the old lines to undo (20years of rust) I need help on ideas getting them off and if there is a way to get the lines off without moving the gas tank. Ohh and if any one has any ideas on how to get my back window to go down with the motor blown please let me now. I would like to mod a way for my window to go up and down with the motor blown or just down so I can fix it. Thanks
And I live in canada so if its a parts store in the states I can't get it sorry. Please help me!!!
Old 09-22-2009, 09:49 AM
pwd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm doing brake lines on my 92 (which can't be that much different than your 89). I don't think you'll be able to completely remove the old lines without dropping the tank since there are little clips on the frame that hold the line. I've seen new lines just resting in beside the tank, which as fine as long as there is no major contact. If you have some time to spare you may want to consider dropping the tank and repairing any rotting lines up there as well, if not just rune new lines over or beside the tank.

As for parts, just talk to your local dealer. Brake lines (unlike most dealer items) are almost reasonable prices and they come pre-bent with fittings. If you need other parts, there are some members here that can help you out. I've ordered a bunch of parts from https://www.1sttoyotaparts.com and have saved a good chunk of change (that site is located in Washington state, so not too far from you compared to my location).

Last edited by pwd; 09-22-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
To do it properly, you're going to have to move the tank.

You'll want to drive it until it's almost empty. Drop your "skid" plate from the tank (6 bolts) and move the gas tank partially out of the way. Now, I didn't drop my tank all the way. All I did was get it far enough so I could get a pry bar in there to pop the lines out of the clips.

Go to NAPA and ask for a roll of 3/16" coated brake line. Will probably run you close to $40 and 4 metric flare nuts. You will also need a 10mm flare nut wrench and a brake bleeder.

Remove only one line at a time. If you have a Load Sensing Brake Proportioning Valve at the back, there are two lines that feed it. Doing it one at a time will make sure you don't cross them up.

You can bend the brake line by hand, so long as you don't go too tight on the radius. Anything tight would require a bender.