Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Help a newbie ignition timing confused

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 02:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help a newbie ignition timing confused

hey,

i just bought a 90 4runner with the 3vz. Took it to get smogged and the tech there said the timing was too high,set at 30 degrees. Uhh,that sounded weird to me,as I thought its supposed to be around 10degrees. So he tells me he'll lower the timing,but he's only able to get to 16,which still sounded bad.

It did pass smog,though,but my truck is running noticably weaker.

Is there something wrong here? does it sound right? Maybe the previous owner installed a timing belt wrong?

thanks in advance

pj

Last edited by pjb00stin; 04-14-2010 at 02:18 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:33 AM

Sounds to me like you are off a tooth on your Distributor. Get to TDC with No. 1 Cylinder, then take out the Distributor, Turn the key to "On" (do not start it ) and use the No.1 Spark plug you just took out and place it next to a ground bolt or something on your intake, then rotate your rotor in your distributor and watch for the spark plug to spark on number one on your distributor cap. You'll have to unbolt your Dist cap to be sure you are rotating on No.1. As long as your cams and crank are lined up with the marks You'll be fine. Re-install the distributor and then all you have to do is get a light on it and watch the measurements to get it dialed in. You probably need to take off the shroud on the front to look at the belt anyway. Verify if it is a spring tensioner or Hydraulic tensioner, That could be weak/loose also.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by pisc2bn
Sounds to me like you are off a tooth on your Distributor. Get to TDC with No. 1 Cylinder, then take out the Distributor, Turn the key to "On" (do not start it ) and use the No.1 Spark plug you just took out and place it next to a ground bolt or something on your intake, then rotate your rotor in your distributor and watch for the spark plug to spark on number one on your distributor cap. You'll have to unbolt your Dist cap to be sure you are rotating on No.1. As long as your cams and crank are lined up with the marks You'll be fine. Re-install the distributor and then all you have to do is get a light on it and watch the measurements to get it dialed in. You probably need to take off the shroud on the front to look at the belt anyway. Verify if it is a spring tensioner or Hydraulic tensioner, That could be weak/loose also.
ok. I'll do that.When I do the timing,the tech said to connect 2 pins on the battery side of the engine bay.Anyone have a pic? he used a paperclip.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:47 PM

bump..

pj
Old 04-14-2010, 02:27 PM

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1990-1995...es/repair.html
I don't know where it is on a v6 but this should help