Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

flange bolt, center support bearing

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flange bolt, center support bearing

Is a 1991 ext. cab v6 4x4 of course. The bolt that holds the flange on that needs to removed to get to the center support bearing is hard to find i guess. I have my bearing but the book says the this bolt must be replaced every time its removed due to it needing to be chiseled. I think its called a spindle nut, this one is 24mm. It is obvious that the previous owner did not replace it when he changed the bearing because you can see two different chisel marks on the bolt and some of the threads dont look very good. Its a two piece drive shaft, i tried to find this "spindle nut" at the local Kragen / O'reily, and at Autozone and am having no luck at all online at any genuine Toyota parts dealer. O'reily went through many nuts for me and had a Mazda M1 spindle nut that looked similar so i bought it but its a tiny bit to small. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will be taking it to banning drive line pretty soon (banning, ca) just to get an opinion and probably a re-balancing just to be safe.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:11 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Smile

Make nice with your local dealer walk in with vin tell them what you need .

You should be good to go.

If your working on these vehicles it pays to have the hardware on hand.

Truth be told most shops would only change that staked nut if they had to.

I would offer to get you one but to the shipping was paid you can get one yourself.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
okay have hardware on hand.. good to know

My center support bearing fell to pieces coming down a mountain highway, I drove carefully to my house and ordered what i thought was necessary to get the job done i.e. the center support bearing. In my Chilton manual it said there will be a castle nut along with cotter pin, but upon tearing it down there was no castle nut but a staked spindle nut something like this-- http://compare.ebay.com/like/2806959...=sbar&_lwgsi=y I am no professional mechanic but i have decent mechanical ability. I have never messed with a propeller shaft before. Also I am not in a wealthy position at the moment and can not afford to just put my truck in the shop every time it breaks. That being said i have recently replaced a faulty Air Flow Meter, Alternator, Starter, Rusted Un-alignable A-Arms that had to be cut off, Shocks, spark plugs+wires, Battery, Air Filter many bushings, and got new tires for it, filled it up with synthetic oil and a few other things not coming to mind at the moment I'm sure. When it breaks i take as many precautions as possible reading forums and reading my manual(s) and acquiring parts to get the job done the RIGHT way as i love my truck very much. I was unaware that this bolt was in such a bad condition. It must be removed to get to the center support bearing otherwise I would have avoided removing it. In desperation of needing my truck due to my motorcycle having legal issues (another long story altogether) I put on my center support bearing and just used the old nut that is in very bad shape and stripped it after putting 120lb of the 139lb's of torque needed to set the bearing. I still staked the stripped nut and drove my truck to work which is where i am at now. In the near future (most likely Monday) I will just have to spend for an after market drive shaft or have a solid one made, some kind of work around option. I will be searching to forums for ideas. I should have probably posted pictures and/or explained it a little better I guess. Thanks for the advice on having all necessary hardware though that really helped.

Last edited by YotaLove1991; 07-30-2011 at 03:21 PM. Reason: unable to create paragraphs i guess.....