Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

ECU Injectors & Knock Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ECU Injectors & Knock Sensor

Hello to everyone, long time member, first time posting.

I have been reading yotatech for quite a while, but since i never had a real problem with my truck until now, well here goes my first post..

it all started with a CE and a huge misfire at idle and at 1000 to 2000 rpm, at first i replaced spark plugs, wires , dist cap and rotor, checked for vacume lines, TPS seemed to be responding, EGR was working correctly as it was not stuck opened, filled tank with gas a some fuel and injector cleaner..

misfire and pinging did not go away..

according to CE codes i had
* Distribuitor Pickup Coil
* Knock Sensor
* EGR

so i got a used distribuitor, replaced it, problem did not go away..

Next i noticed that i did have spark on all 6 cyl. when i removed plug boot 1 and 3, the engine did not seemed to change or degrade, removing spark plugs revealed there was no fuel going in to this cylinders..

next step

take it to the shop..

now remember i live and Mexico, and well, I've wont go into details but at first glance the mechanic (or so he called himself) told me right away it was the ECU and he wanted me to hunt for a new one or a loaner to test it, after pulling the code with a reader (obd??)

I told him to remove the plenum, and check for faulty injectors, they where all working, they did have some carbon build up, bot nothing that would not make them work, i was going to change the KS but intake gasket and KS plus labor added up 280 dlls, half of my weekly income, so i left that part alone, i guess i can live with that, beside a faulty KS would not make a 3.0 sputter like that, my guess is that my KS has not work for a long time, any way, we found that there was no pulse going to this injectors, we replaced the pigtail connector and assembled everything back, start it up, runned pretty good for about 20 minutes, then started to ping and sputter, i this point i was very frustrated, i paid the mechanic, went home...

like around 10pm i went to buy something to eat, 4runner was running great, no sputtering, no CE, nothing, and it felt better than when i got her with 180,000...

now, i still here the pinging of the faulty KS, but injectors seem to be working pretty well.

should i continue to check for a faulty ECU, has this ever happened to any of you..?

Other thing, do you guys think that relocating the KS to some other place will work on eliminating the pinging.. should i advanced my timing to compensate for crappy PEMEX gasoline we use here???
Old 10-20-2008, 04:11 PM

Wow.. so my 4runner is the only one with a faulty Injector harness
Old 10-23-2008, 10:12 PM

Don't walk, RUN away! He just wants your 280 dlls!

KS = "Knock Sensor"

All and all, it sounds like you still have the original problem. (...possibly the TPS/AFM/EGR? But, by now the timing is probably way off, as well.)

The OEM Injector Harness is pretty hardy, and wouldn't be expected to fail under normal conditons. The ECU is pretty bulletproof. If the ECU was bad, it would be fatal, like smoked or smashed, and undrivable. The "KS" pigtail can fail, the "KS" is probably fine. Injectors never go bad. The fuel pump, regulator, fuel filter, etc., are probably okay.

Experiences like you are having with the mechanic, motivated me to learn to work on my Toyotas myself!

My advice: Carefully examine the TPS (and AFM)(and EGR), correctly set the timing, and, possibly, undo the damage the mechanic did.

Good Luck