Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Canopy Shopping - What size?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canopy Shopping - What size?

Hey there,

I've got a 1995 Toyota Tacoma with the regular cab, and I want to get a canopy so I can keep my stuff dry and secure during the winter. I found a canopy on Craigslist that sounds perfect, except I have one question.

The canopy is for a 1990 Extended Cab. Will it fit?

And for the fun of it, Here's a picture of the canopy in question:

And here's a picture of my truck (show and tell):

Thanks a lot!
Old 11-27-2008, 12:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
easyest way is to just break out the tape and measure and then get the measure ments on the canopy
Old 11-27-2008, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Scooby098
easyest way is to just break out the tape and measure and then get the measure ments on the canopy
Problem is, the canopy is very far away and I want to make sure it will fit before I go and pick it up.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:27 AM
Contributing Member

Your light bar will have to take an exit.

The topper might work, but I think that it will look odd. The 3rd gen Xtra cabs had a slight slope to the rear window. I believe that your standard cab is fairly straight up and down at the rear window. If it does fit, you are probably going to have a weird gap at the back of the cab, and, possibly, some rubbing at the top.

I would suggest that you keep an eye out on Craigslist for one that came off another standard cab Taco. That way, you'll have one that you know fits, and it will also match the body lines of your truck better.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by breknraj
Your light bar will have to take an exit.

The topper might work, but I think that it will look odd. The 3rd gen Xtra cabs had a slight slope to the rear window. I believe that your standard cab is fairly straight up and down at the rear window. If it does fit, you are probably going to have a weird gap at the back of the cab, and, possibly, some rubbing at the top.

I would suggest that you keep an eye out on Craigslist for one that came off another standard cab Taco. That way, you'll have one that you know fits, and it will also match the body lines of your truck better.
Thanks. Will do.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:29 AM

Yes - both the 1989 - 1995 and 1995.5+ PreTaco and Tacoma trucks had a slight forward 'rake' or 'slope' to the XtraCab back wall, while the Regular Cab back wall was vertical.

The PreTaco and Taco bed dimensions are close enough that you can reasonably swap canopies between these series of trucks, but the fitment is not precise.

A Regular Cab canopy on an XtraCab will leave a noticeable gap. An XtraCab canopy on a Regular Cab might touch against the cab, depending on the manufacturer / design.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:49 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by EnolaGaia
Yes - both the 1989 - 1995 and 1995.5+ PreTaco and Tacoma trucks had a slight forward 'rake' or 'slope' to the XtraCab back wall, while the Regular Cab back wall was vertical.

The PreTaco and Taco bed dimensions are close enough that you can reasonably swap canopies between these series of trucks, but the fitment is not precise.

A Regular Cab canopy on an XtraCab will leave a noticeable gap. An XtraCab canopy on a Regular Cab might touch against the cab, depending on the manufacturer / design.
x2 I had this problem when I put the canopy from my '84 on my '97 Tacoma.
-as long as you get a reg cab canopy you are fine.

for what it is worth I also ran a canopy off a short bed ranger ('90) for several years. the bed dimensions are basically the same as the Toyotas. It fit fine with out leaking or any noticeable overhang. other than the color you could not tell.

I would recommend that you not get a canopy that does not have the front sliding window...One canopy I tried had no front window, just a rubber lip around the window frame and due to bed/cab flex, the rubber lip rubbed away the paint..