Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Broken Timing Chain Cover

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken Timing Chain Cover

Just finished replacing timing chain on the 1986 4runner 22re, water pump, etc. Everthing back together and went underneth the 4runner to put the battery ground cable to the block and found oil dripping. Stopped and looked for the oil leak, knew I had everything sealed real good had the oil pan off so that I could be sure to seal the top of the timing chain cover good to the bottom of the head. And WTH the timing chain cover is cracked. Up near the top just below and to my left of where the hidden top bolt under the distributor drive gear is (looking at engine from in front) so technically on the right side. Before putting all the power sterring pump and other stuff on we looked up in there to see that sealant had oozed from around the top of the cover and the bottom of the head to make sure we had a good seal there and did not see a crack then which I think would have been very noticeable. Could the cover have got broken when the power steering bracket etc. was put on? I have never done one before and had a coach help with setting up the chain and distributor. The runner was apart for about a month and the other day when I was at work my brother wanted to help so he put all the brackets, power steering pump etc and etc all back on, but could not find a bolt and went to the hardware store and bought one I think for the power steeering bracket. Not sure how to post a picture but if it works I used the picture of the cover that shows bolt placement and indicted in blue where the crack is. This really sucks because I don't have the time right now to take it all back apart to replace the cover so it is going to have to sit for quite awhile untill I can redo all this with a new cover. But damn sure don't want to make the same mistake again. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Happy Yota trails!

Picture posted as a thumbnail but you can click on it for a larger view.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Broken Timing Chain Cover-timingcoverboltscracked.jpg  
Old 10-02-2009, 08:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
mine did the same thing..

The end of the head gasket had fallen off between the valve cover and top of the timing chain cover..

So when I tightened the hidden bolt it pulled it up and cracked it..so I ordered a new timing chain cover... made a gasket out of thin cardboard and lots of Honda Bond.