Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Brake light works intermittently...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake light works intermittently...

95 3.0 4runner

The passenger side brake light only lights up about 20% of the time, fuse is good as well as the bulb.. All of the other brake lights work as expected, so I would find it hard to believe that it could be the sensor in the brake pedal area but i'm not sure.. I personally think a dirty contact or possibly the wiring in the tail light assembly.. I'll see if I can explain this.. I swapped the brake light bulb with another only to find that the brake light still does not work, but now the blinker does not work either. I swapped the blinker bulb with another one and it worked fine, AS WELL AS THE BRAKE LIGHT. I just went out to check it again and the blinker and tail light worked but the brake light only worked for a few pushes of the pedal.. I do not know if it's the assembly or not but someone had removed it before (the screws were somewhat stripped and there was not factory tape around the wires like the other side) so someone tried fixing it.. I honestly do not know where to begin with this but any help would be appreciated!
Old 07-10-2013, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After looking around in Google, the common issue is the switch but I was unaware that the switch could allow 2/3 lights to work? That, or a bad ground? Is the switch the only contact for the brake light?

EDIT: A lot of sources suggest adjusting the switch as well as making sure the switch has power..

Last edited by StewsRunner; 07-10-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:08 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If all brake lights worked part of the time I would say the switch might be out of adjustment .

This is not your problem

I would clean the sockets in the taillight assembly with electrical cleaner and a fitting brush that fits the sockets.

It doesn`t hurt to clean the bulbs as well

Also the plugs of the harness could be corroded

Seems like your losing a ground your correct it is a poor connection.

You might want to look and see if the socket has been abused in the past people trying to force the bulbs in wrong.

Look for damage to the harness coming in to that light