Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

95 4runner, coupla questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 4runner, coupla questions

Hey all,

I just got a 95 4runner, and I'm having a few small issues with it... 3.slow, 5spd manual transmission...

1. The head was recently replaced, but the guy who sold me the car told me that there is a CEL on because there "is no hole for the knock sensor" on the new head... Is this possible, and is it going to give me problems?

2. The truck likes to almost die while coming to a stop... If I'm heading into a stop, unless i use engine-braking, the RPMs will dip to about 200, and only coming to a stop/giving it gas will bring it back to 900-1000 and a normal idle.

3. Electrical has shut down twice going into hard right-hand turns, but I already know the battery/cables are garbage, could that be related? Truck always starts right back up afterwards.

I plan on taking it to a mechanic sometime soon for a full go-over, and I know it needs an oil change and flush, anything else I should check? By the way, I'm smart, but not familiar with engines. I've replaced things like starters and alternators, but nothing insane. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:04 AM

The lack of a knock sensor is going to cause all kinds of problems. It sounds like the wrong head or a defective head was installed. The knock sensor is wired to the ECU and if you search for other posts on this forum you will see a multitude of problems caused by bad knock sensors.

You need to start at the beginning and repair the known problems, such as the battery cables and then see where you are. There are numerous sensors and wiring that could be a problem but until you eliminate the known problems everything is just guessing.

You need to get a FSM, you can download one just do a search for FSM and then start checking everything. When I got my 94 I found that the TPS was bad, then the ECU engine temperature sensor was bad, there was a vacuum thermal switch with the head broken off. It is a slow process but once you get a clue to where the problem is there is plenty of help on this forum.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:25 AM

The lack of a knock sensor is going to cause all kinds of problems. It sounds like the wrong head or a defective head was installed. The knock sensor is wired to the ECU and if you search for other posts on this forum you will see a multitude of problems caused by bad knock sensors.

You need to start at the beginning and repair the known problems, such as the battery cables and then see where you are. There are numerous sensors and wiring that could be a problem but until you eliminate the known problems everything is just guessing.

You need to get a FSM, you can download one just do a search for FSM and then start checking everything. When I got my 94 I found that the TPS was bad, then the ECU engine temperature sensor was bad, there was a vacuum thermal switch with the head broken off. It is a slow process but once you get a clue to where the problem is there is plenty of help on this forum.