Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

94 4runner new automatic transmission shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please feed the newbie

ok im new here and this is my first message(i cant figure out how to post my own!!??)i have been working on my 1994 4runner v6 4x4 transmission for sometime now n about to drive it off a gd cliff.the automatic a340h transmission was replaced last month with a used one of the same type but was out of a 91 but still the same transmission. and the internals all checked out good.the wires all matched up accept for the nuetral safety switch harness which i rewired easily because all the wire colors were the same.my problem im having is the transmission will only go into 3rd gear and rev high as hell and never switch gear.i did get it to switch into what seemed to be 4th gear but still no over drive one time from messing with the tv cable but it went right back when i adjusted it again and ive adjusted it in every way with no luck again.i tested all the solenoids were clicking by hooking each one to the battery.and listening for a click.i made sure the linkage was adjusted right.right now im completely lost and i havnt been able to drive to work for a month(luckily im self employed) i cant find anyone anywhere on the internet with this problem.i do however remember that the solenoid on the white wire would click when i disconnected it and tapped it to the valve boddy on my old tranny while still connected to the wire and i could hear a click.i dont seem to get any power to the solenoids on this new tranny when i try the same thing nothing clicks.please guys i really need the help.also the fluid is correct on what it calls for 10.5 quarts total.where do the solenoids wires lead to?that could help.any pics of all the wiring would help.thank you!
Old 10-26-2011, 09:17 PM

94 4runner new automatic transmission shifting problems

ok im new here and this is my first question.i have been working on my 1994 4runner v6 4x4 transmission for sometime now n about to drive it off a gd cliff.the automatic a340h transmission was replaced last month with a used one of the same type but was out of a 91 but still the same transmission. and the internals all checked out good.the wires all matched up accept for the nuetral safety switch harness which i rewired easily because all the wire colors were the same.my problem im having is the transmission will only go into 3rd gear and rev high as hell and never switch gear.i did get it to switch into what seemed to be 4th gear but still no over drive one time from messing with the tv cable but it went right back when i adjusted it again and ive adjusted it in every way with no luck again.i tested all the solenoids were clicking by hooking each one to the battery.and listening for a click.i made sure the linkage was adjusted right.right now im completely lost and i havnt been able to drive to work for a month(luckily im self employed) i cant find anyone anywhere on the internet with this problem.i do however remember that the solenoid on the white wire would click when i disconnected it and tapped it to the valve boddy on my old tranny while still connected to the wire and i could hear a click.i dont seem to get any power to the solenoids on this new tranny when i try the same thing nothing clicks.please guys i really need the help.also the fluid is correct on what it calls for 10.5 quarts total and tc was installed the right way with plenty fluid in it.where do the solenoids wires lead to?that could help.any pics of all the wiring would also help.thank you!
Old 10-26-2011, 09:19 PM

Unhappy 94 4runner new automatic transmission shifting problems- HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!

ok im new here and this is my first question.i have been working on my 1994 4runner v6 4x4 transmission for sometime now n about to drive it off a gd cliff.the automatic a340h transmission was replaced last month with a used one of the same type but was out of a 91 but still the same transmission. and the internals all checked out good.the wires all matched up accept for the nuetral safety switch harness which i rewired easily because all the wire colors were the same.my problem im having is the transmission will only go into 3rd gear and rev high as hell and never switch gear.i did get it to switch into what seemed to be 4th gear but still no over drive one time from messing with the tv cable but it went right back when i adjusted it again and ive adjusted it in every way with no luck again.i tested all the solenoids were clicking by hooking each one to the battery.and listening for a click.i made sure the linkage was adjusted right.right now im completely lost and i havnt been able to drive to work for a month(luckily im self employed) i cant find anyone anywhere on the internet with this problem.i do however remember that the solenoid on the white wire would click when i disconnected it and tapped it to the valve boddy on my old tranny while still connected to the wire and i could hear a click.i dont seem to get any power to the solenoids on this new tranny when i try the same thing nothing clicks.please guys i really need the help.also the fluid is correct on what it calls for 10.5 quarts total and tc was installed the right way with plenty fluid in it.where do the solenoids wires lead to?that could help.any pics of all the wiring would also help.thank you! im going crazy on this one!
Old 10-27-2011, 04:42 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Please do not create multiple threads.
Threads merged.

:wabbit2:
Old 10-27-2011, 06:11 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
download the FSM in the link you see below in my signature and search for the diagnostics section

or try this link:
http://www.the-roo.com/4runner/

and hit return every once in a while
Old 10-27-2011, 11:26 AM

sorry i didnt know i couldnt copy n paste my same question on other users.and ocdropzone i will check it out and get back.any help is greatly appreciated.i need all i can get!
Old 10-27-2011, 11:33 AM

any way i could get some pics of anyones transmission wiring?also my shifting handle isnt locking in.it moves through the gears but u dont even have to press the brake or turn the key ignition.it just moves and only starts in park and not nuetral unless i give nuetral a little pressure.i cant remember if any of this is normal
Old 12-16-2012, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by jaredvrose
any way i could get some pics of anyones transmission wiring?also my shifting handle isnt locking in.it moves through the gears but u dont even have to press the brake or turn the key ignition.it just moves and only starts in park and not nuetral unless i give nuetral a little pressure.i cant remember if any of this is normal
UPDATE FROM THE DEAD just to show how dumb i was on 4x4s at the time.it was in 4 low and i never knew because the linkage wasnt hooked up..