Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

5th gear bucking 22r

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Started after I killed Bambi

I'm new here, (although I've been searching this sites tech columns for a while.) and first want to say I appreciate all the info you guys provide, I've found it useful to say the least, Thanks ! I'm not much of a mechanic, but I've done a few repairs myself by reading the repair manuals-even when my ex-husband said I couldn't do it.
I recently bought an '87 Extra cab 4x4 with a lift kit (22re) It's my third Toyota truck, but my first 4x4, first 22r and first one with EFI. Has a few miles, but ran good and came with a lot of extra parts.
2 weeks I later slammed into a deer at about 40-45 miles per hour. Body repairs I can handle, due to the extra parts. (Dented the hood, broke the grill, pushed the bumper and drivers side fender back, shoved the radiator back but didn't puncture it.)
(%$*@# deer)
Anyway, immediately afterwards it seemed to be missing, but I found nothing after checking the spark plugs, dist cap, all the wires etc. Ran some Seafoam in the gas tank, it seemed to help with the missing, and had more power- but once the tank ran through- seems like it is starving for air-fuel ? It accelerates okay, but on the highway when I shift from 4th to 5th, it starts bucking, hard. If I let off the pedal a little it calms down, but as soon as the rpm drops a little, it starts again. In order to drive without being beaten and jarred around, I have to keep it pegged in 4th gear. Occasionally it will bog down and won't go over 3000 rpm punched, then it sputters and takes off again. Sometimes the bucking starts in 3rd or 4th gear, and the slightest increase or decrease on the pedal sometimes calms it down, or I have to downshift and punch it again.
Are there any lines or hoses or components that could be pinched causing this ? Or could something have been jarred loose? Could crud in the fuel tank been stirred up and clogged the filter?
Any ideas or suggestions for this newbie lady trying to do it herself ? Please help.

Last edited by katmcq; 03-20-2009 at 09:42 AM. Reason: no replies