Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

3.4l swap question

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.4l swap question

Hey guys im new to the forum.

I am in the middle of doing a 3.4l swap to my 92 4runner 4x4 M/T. I have read numerous threads of "How To's" on the 3.4l swap. I realize every swap is different but there is alot of conflicting information out there. I was wondering if someone can clear up some of these concerns i have.

So here is the specifics.

I bought a 2000 3.4L out of a 4runner 4x4 A/T. I was able to get the evap box, computer, wiring harness, computer , all the accessories and free shipping for $900. I couldnt pass it up. BTW this is not a JDM motor.

Here are my questions
- Can i used the A/T ecu by tricking the ecu to think the vehicle is in neutral? Will there be performance issues? I have seen yes and no's on this one. I know that if i do this there will be check engine lights. Im not too concerned with this. If this doesnt work my next questions is plan "B"

- If i buy an M/T ecu can I use a 4x2? Im not too concerned it i have a 4x4 indicator light or not. Do i need to re-pin the ecu connectors from the auto harness or do they plug right in. It is a year 2000 i have read the connectors simply plug in without re-pin.

Sorry to beat a dead horse on this but there is too much conflicting info out there.

Thanks
Old 12-11-2016, 01:50 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Like you said they are all different .

Just sit down with the wiring diagram for the 2000 4Runner you can repin the Automatic one to work with the manual transmission.

The wire by wire repinning will take some time

then just wire up the 4th plug from the wiring diagram for the 92 4Runner

Yes all the ECM`s after 2000 have the same plugs but the pin outs are not the same!!

If you want a true plug and Play buy the Engine Harness and ECM for a 2000 3.4 manual transmission then you only have to wire the 4th plug on the ECM

Don`t forget the OBDII plug when your getting parts
Old 01-24-2017, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is wrong with a JDM engine? I am new to the forum. I am trying to source all the parts for the swap.