Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

22RE-GM Alternator swap - Give me the run down

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just for reference for me and anyone else looking, here's a good link on the big 3 upgrade:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...66/index2.html
Old 06-16-2010, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by PismoJoe
What where did you find that wiring pigtail? can you share that P/N i've been lookin in junkyards like they're going out of style and I only can find 10si pigtails!!!!

That TG bracket setup looks just like LC's, and on Lc's site they say the stock belt can be used. Ha same price too, check out the description http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...8-C640863FB1C9
Napa auto parts number VRC148 for the wiring pigtail for a 12si (the 10si uses the same one)

However, I'm not going to use the 12si anymore, I'm going to go with a CS130, I can't find how to convert the wiring for the 12si, and the CS 130 is supposed to be better anyways.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:57 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Nice! Thanks a million for that P/N!!!

Do you know if the CS130 will fit in the TG bracket kit??
Old 06-16-2010, 05:05 PM

As far as I know, the alternator will fit, if not, I'll modify the stock one and return the TG one...all the other brackets work with CS130's except there's something about CS130D that doesn't work.

How are you wiring the 12si?
Old 06-16-2010, 05:13 PM

That's a good question lol one of my buddies is a car electrician, so I was hoping that he could shed some light on this issue. I don't know if you have seen my build, but I haven't had an engine in my 4runner for about 2 months now, I just got my rocker arms in so once I get to the installation point I will get more serious about tackling this alternator swap.

I'm not familiar with the CS130, but from what I have seen of them aren't they a J-Belt style pulley? I think the amps are around 105 @ idle, not sure though
Old 06-16-2010, 05:33 PM

That's a good question lol one of my buddies is a car electrician, so I was hoping that he could shed some light on this issue. I don't know if you have seen my build, but I haven't had an engine in my 4runner for about 2 months now, I just got my rocker arms in so once I get to the installation point I will get more serious about tackling this alternator swap.

I'm not familiar with the CS130, but from what I have seen of them aren't they a J-Belt style pulley? I think the amps are around 105 @ idle, not sure though
I actually was just reading through your build...nice lookin rebuild, I can't wait till I can rebuild my engine!

I haven't found any diagrams on how to swap the 12si in, only CS 130's...I'm not sure about at idle, but yes it is a 105 amp unit...and they come with different pulleys, the one I ordered from Napa is a 1 groove V-belt, exactly what I need

Here's the link to the alternator and pigtail...

CS 130 alternator:
http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...294_0006573140

Pigtail:

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...1_0193319701#s

Last edited by 89silverpu; 06-16-2010 at 05:35 PM. Reason: wrong alternator link
Old 06-16-2010, 05:44 PM

That's a good question lol one of my buddies is a car electrician, so I was hoping that he could shed some light on this issue.
Just got this from a guy on pirate for the 12si...

Terminal 1 goes to the yellow "L" wire (light) on the Toy harness.
Terminal 2 goes to the white "S" or sense wire on the Toy.

http://www.nk.ca/~zcar/pages/article...lternator.html
Old 06-16-2010, 06:03 PM

Hey thanks for the compliment I have read through your build as well and I have to say you do some nice work and really put together a nice truck! Hands down cleanest dual case set up I have witnessed, most people just hack up the floorpan trying to guess where that new sticks gonna go lol

Thanks for those links, this thread has stirred up some really good information! I think its time for me to get serious about the alternator swap and man up! Thanks again for the help!
Old 06-16-2010, 08:46 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Mopst of the SI and CS series are pretty much the same mounting config. with the 12 oclock and 6 oclock mounting tabs. There are other patterns to the mounting tags but those are more common. AC Delco or someone that really new them did a really long write up on the clocking positions, development of the different models, wiring, and explanation of sensing circuit vrs one wire with pros and cons. Alt AC Delco alts are interchangible pulleys.

4crawler used a saddle alt, with a slick adaptor to use stock alt bracket.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:41 AM

Hey thanks for the compliment I have read through your build as well and I have to say you do some nice work and really put together a nice truck! Hands down cleanest dual case set up I have witnessed, most people just hack up the floorpan trying to guess where that new sticks gonna go lol

Thanks for those links, this thread has stirred up some really good information! I think its time for me to get serious about the alternator swap and man up! Thanks again for the help!
Thanks! I just measured a couple times before I cut the hole good luck with your swap!

Originally Posted by muddpigg
Mopst of the SI and CS series are pretty much the same mounting config. with the 12 oclock and 6 oclock mounting tabs. There are other patterns to the mounting tags but those are more common. AC Delco or someone that really new them did a really long write up on the clocking positions, development of the different models, wiring, and explanation of sensing circuit vrs one wire with pros and cons. Alt AC Delco alts are interchangible pulleys.

4crawler used a saddle alt, with a slick adaptor to use stock alt bracket.
Yeah that seems to be the case from what I've read around as well. The 12si was an upgraded replacement of the 10si, and the CS 130 was an upgraded replacement for the 12si. The CS 130 alt that I ordered has an 11 o'clock position.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:35 PM

Hey I don't know if you have come across this site, but it has a pretty good breakdown of comparing the various delco alternators

http://www.extreme4wheelin.com/tech/...ators/tech.htm
Old 06-17-2010, 07:18 PM

Hey I don't know if you have come across this site, but it has a pretty good breakdown of comparing the various delco alternators

That's a good link, thanks!
Old 06-18-2010, 05:07 PM

The list of vehicles for curtain alts is wrong. But I was only looking for the cs130 v belt.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:10 PM

I chose the cs 130 as it uses all the same wires the stock alt does. Maybe its a personal preference but I didn't want to go from three wires to two with the third clipped off.

Plus up to 120amp factory, but I went the 105amp route.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:21 PM

did the TG brackets work since the mounting tab is slightly different on the cs130?

Sorry about that site being wrong, I just used it because it broke down the differences in alt styles, mounting tabs, as well as current outputs
Old 06-18-2010, 05:30 PM

did the TG brackets work since the mounting tab is slightly different on the cs130?
I haven't gotten the alt from napa yet, but I'll let you know when I test it out. It should I think the mounting is the same even though the case is different.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
I chose the cs 130 as it uses all the same wires the stock alt does. Maybe its a personal preference but I didn't want to go from three wires to two with the third clipped off.

Plus up to 120amp factory, but I went the 105amp route.
That's why I returned the 12si and got the CS130 I didn't like the fact that there was an extra wire, and it's supposed to be a better alternator overall too from what I've read.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by 89silverpu
That's why I returned the 12si and got the CS130 I didn't like the fact that there was an extra wire, and it's supposed to be a better alternator overall too from what I've read.
I'm now looking at a better soltion to sealing up the engine compartment from the elements and some sort of hood scoop to compensate for the additional heat the headers put off. The CS130's bearings are supposedly more succeptable to damage from over belt tension, so caution. The Alt I list earlier doesn't have the threaded tab but that wasn't a big deal.

The real pain was no parts store list ALTs by series, tab config, nor pulley style. Stopped at several places till finally found a young guy, Supra junky, who was as interested in finding an Alt for me as I was. He also had a killer source for a 5mg engine ecu and efi for a sweet deal, too bad my motor is only 1.5 yrs old.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Well, looks like I'm more interested in this now. Respooled my winch this weekend and my alt was NOT happy with me...it's an upgraded stator but I think it's shot...
Old 06-20-2010, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
Well, looks like I'm more interested in this now. Respooled my winch this weekend and my alt was NOT happy with me...it's an upgraded stator but I think it's shot...
The FSM has the how to test it. May have lost one of the diodes in chipset. I'm anxious to try a good pull with the gm alt.

Quick Reply: 22RE-GM Alternator swap - Give me the run down