Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

22r to 3.0 swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22r to 3.0 swap

Just thought I would ask here before I start planning everything out. i have the opperatunity to get a 91 4runner with a running 3.0 tranny and transfer case, I would like to swap this setup into my 84 4x4 single cab. I would like to swap out an entire matched set (ie engine tranny and xfer case) together. I am planning on Taking a week of vacation, and using the hobby shop (military) and having both vehicles side by side during the swap. only prep, will be removal of the 22r tranny and xfer case prior so that it can be cleaned and possibly have engine bay painted.

Has anyone done this swap?
Is it technically feasable, without major modification?
Pretty sure the axle's will hold up to the new engine, looking at possibly swapping to '83 axles. due to a bent rear axle now. the axle swap will happen first.

suggestions or comments?
Old 12-28-2009, 08:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It is possible, but probably not recommended. The 3.0 wasn't the best engine Toyota ever produced. Aside from engine mounts, I'm pretty sure you're going to need a new tranny crossmember. Just my opinion, of course, but it's not much of an upgrade for all the work you're looking at.

You're probably better off swapping a Supra engine in, but that's just my two cents.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:43 AM

Are we talking having to weld new motor mount base pieces on? or just changing the top piece on the mount? looks like the donor vehicle will be under a grand (drivable at that) so will have time to prep the truck. pull, motor tranny and xfer case CLEAN and paint. will prob sell as a set or individually to help offset the cost of anything i have to do. i would love to find a new cab, as the floorboards of mine are rusting out. body on mine is going to , but frame is solid.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're doing an EFI swap in addition to the powertrain swap.

If it were me, I'd look for a 4cyl Tacoma engine to drop into your old truck instead. You'd still need to do the EFI swap, but the taco engine is much lighter and has just about the same output as the 3.0 without the headaches of two head gaskets etc etc.

The 3.0 engine wasn't Toyota's best engine, whereas the 3RZ is one of the better ones.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:50 AM

Wondering what the difference is in price to get the 3rz? I have to have something to drive while i do this swap. I would like to be able to pull and prep the truck before the swap, not a quick stuff.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:00 PM

The diff is different for the 3.0 which is the same as the 4cyl turbo models, but not the same as the 22R. I hate my 3VZ-E it's been too much money and i'm hating it. That 3RZ came on which Tacomas? From which yr. to which yr? Early Tacomas were not sold here in Mexico but there's a bunchload of 'em. I was planning doing the opposite of what you want to do Alter, because there's just so much stuff for the 22R! But I dunno, what do you guys suggest?
Old 12-29-2009, 05:21 PM

Not sure where to head from here, I love my truck, and don't want to get rid of it, but severly dissapointed with the lack of power it has delivered so far. I like it's durability and the large volume of items for it, so far in its time that i have had it, the only dissapointment has been the lack of power. and the sewing machine sound, but that is dealable. worried about pulling the boat with it.

that is why i am looking at putting the v6 in it. not worried about the efi switch, can switch fuel components as well. any clues as to why it lacks power? can only maintain 70+ either downhill or on a flat surface. and in the upper rpm's is feels severly winded. (got no azz) love it driving locally (non highway) but highway just sucks with no power.