Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

1986 Toyota Pickup Charge Light (12 V at + terminal)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 Toyota Pickup Charge Light (12 V at + terminal)

Hi I was having the problem where the small wire from fusebox to + terminal kept coming out, so I inserted a small piece of copper wire to hold the frayed end under the connector. Unfortunately I don't think I seated the main + cable connector tight enough. The charge light came on a half hour later and now I don't have gas gauge, headlights etc. Had the alternator replaced a year or two ago but worry that the resistance in the main cable was too high and maybe I blew the alternator or a fuse or a connector failed somewhere. The fuses in the fusebox all look good (not sure if they can fail without a visible burn mark though).

The strange thing is that I can start the truck and run with the main cable completely disconnected, so all of the current is going through that small fusebox wire and I worry that it's going to melt. I keep the battery on the charger overnight to stay at 12 V because I'm too broke to take it to the shop.

Is there a simple test I can do to find the failure along the main cable somewhere? My gut is telling me that possibly it's a coincidence, or that maybe a wire fatigued since not all of them are tied down and this was the last straw. I have the 85 and 87 22r wiring diagrams in Chilton and they look very similar. I have a multimeter and know a lot about electronics but there are a lot of wires. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Zack

Last edited by zmorris; 10-07-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never mind, it was the ENGINE 15 amp fuse in the driver's side fusebox (obvious, burned black). I also lightly filed the unevenness of the + terminal's cable mount and brushed the battery post and connector clean. I ended up putting the piece of copper back in but flattened it a bit to make sure everything fits snugly.

Funny how posting a question in a forum triggers the answer. Hopefully this will help someone in the future.

P.S. the brake light was never on. Also getting 14.5 V now on terminals. So if you are getting no current on a wire, always start by checking ALL fuse boxes.

Zack