03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Tire Pressue Warning System and non-OEM wheels!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Pressue Warning System and non-OEM wheels!

If I get aftermarket wheels / tires, what do I need to put on the new wheels to keep the "low tire" warning light from blinking?

Can I take the sensors off the OEM wheels, or will I need to get another set from the dealer?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-07-2006, 05:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The way I understand the tire pressure monitoring system, it doesn't use a pressure sensor at all. It senses wheel speed, similar to an ABS wheel speed sensor. When a tire loses pressure, its diameter decreases. It is then spinning faster than the other tires on the vehicle. The sensor notices this acceleration and indicates it on your dashboard/information center. My 06 Pontiac uses this type of system. If your vehicle has a similar type of system, then changing the wheels should not affect it at all. If the tire diameter is much different, you may need to reset the system. But you won't need to add anything to the aftermarket wheels.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:38 AM

some of the yotas use the whl spd snsr,most all now are going to the snsr in the wheel,look to see if the valve stems are metal,if so they can be removed-carefully-& should be able to be installed in your aftermarket wheels,we just installed 5 sets of aftermarket wheels on 07 camrys,swapped all the sensor-all workied fine but 1,it got damaged,rplcd & wrks fine now
Old 04-07-2006, 08:27 AM

I know for a fact that the 04 4runner has the individual sensors in the tires and that they are EXPENSIVE. For what you want to do just swapping them over will be your best solution, the real pain in the *ss comes when you want to have a second set of winter only tires and wheels...
Old 04-07-2006, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by spindleshanks
The way I understand the tire pressure monitoring system, it doesn't use a pressure sensor at all. It senses wheel speed, similar to an ABS wheel speed sensor. When a tire loses pressure, its diameter decreases. It is then spinning faster than the other tires on the vehicle. The sensor notices this acceleration and indicates it on your dashboard/information center. My 06 Pontiac uses this type of system. If your vehicle has a similar type of system, then changing the wheels should not affect it at all. If the tire diameter is much different, you may need to reset the system. But you won't need to add anything to the aftermarket wheels.
How can that work? If the tire is low on pressure, the sidewalls will flex more. This will increase heat, expanding the rubber and offsetting the decreased diameter.

How this complicated system can be better than checking your tires with an inexpensive tire gauge a couple times a month?

Old 04-07-2006, 02:17 PM

The 2006 Tacoma has Sensors inside the wheels for tire pressure. The are built into the valve stem. Most aftermarket tires allow you to install new valve stems but a few wont so you have to be wary of the few that don't. All and all yea just ask them to transfer the sensors over to your new rims and to BE CAREFUL the sensor break easy and around $120 each to replace from the dealer. Also your spare tire has a sensor too so you got to change that one out too don't forget.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
How this complicated system can be better than checking your tires with an inexpensive tire gauge a couple times a month?
up/sarcasm.gif[/IMG]
Ask the feds, it's a federal requirment for all vehicals sold in the US starting in 07'. Toyota is just getting a jump on it.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:28 PM

yeah,you can probobly thank ford & firestone for their part in this matter also
Old 04-10-2006, 08:18 PM

Sooo, you can't run bigger rims or tires with the senors?
Old 04-10-2006, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by butnut
Sooo, you can't run bigger rims or tires with the senors?
Yes you CAN the sensors are transplantable in like 95% of the aftermarket rims out there it's just that 5% you have to watch out for.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:33 AM

The TPMS system uses sensors located in the valve stems as mentioned before. All tires including the spare have this sensor. There are several types certain types fit certain wheels. I know of 2 so far 20 degree and 40 degree stems each seal properly for certain wheels (which type fits what is unknown).

Yes you can run aftermarket wheels and tires with or without the sensors. You will however have a warning light in the dash notifying you of the lack of tire pressure since the system is not registering tire pressures from each wheel. Each sensor has a different RF code to transmit to the reciever, so just leaving one in (say the spare) is not a solution.

This system is helpfull to soccer moms who need to be told that they need to check there tire pressure (or go get someone to do it for them), but for those who air down tires to go offroad, or change their wheels out it is a nightmare. The TTORA guys and other boards are still playing with this to get around it, for now it seems that you can un-plug the TPMS ECU and re-attach the ground wire to disable the system entirely. I don't know how this plays out with warranty/liablity since its a required safety system now.

Link

Link
Old 04-20-2006, 09:07 AM
Koz

Move the sensors from the original wheels (if you get other sensors they will need to be programmed to your vehicle) to the new ones if possible or disable the bulb or put a piece of tape over the view of the bulb.

Koz
Old 04-20-2006, 09:14 AM
Contributing Member

Glad I have an '03 w/o the stupid wheel sensors. And I also have a tranny dipstick another feature that I like to have along.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:00 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by Sac State
Glad I have an '03 w/o the stupid wheel sensors. And I also have a tranny dipstick another feature that I like to have along.
The dipstickless trans has synthetic fluid (WS) that will last over 100K miles and if it gets damaged an idiot light will alert you.

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 04-20-2006 at 10:26 AM.