03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Sweet, I broke my CV!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 03:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yota4runner
It's an innocent victum of the parking lot demons.
That justifies a full-out exo cage for your next mod!
Old 10-05-2005, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hahaha, I should, I already get funny looks from my neighbours because of all my lights.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:59 PM

Things break.

I was not being insulting.

Having broken my share of stuff, what you are describing is impressive.

If you cannot deal with the broken stuff, you should not be on the trail. Bad things just happen.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:08 PM

Come on Rocky, just look the other way on this one.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:10 PM
Banned

Well it's frustrating! I break something and come here for help and it's necessary to tell me that if I don't like it I shouldn't be on the trail? Exactly the reason I am CAREFUL when I offroad.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:17 PM

Yeah, I know it can be frustrating. That is why I am saying look the other way on this one. As for letting your vehicle sit as Lance stated, it might be a good idea. I do not know too much about the new 4Runner's 4x4 system, but I believe it is 4WD all the time with the V8's right? That front CV Shaft will keep on spinning/throwing out grease and might even do more harm than good. If you can let it sit, it would be a good idea. I understand about $$$ and getting it fixed, but it is something you will have to get taken care of ASAP. And it will happen sometimes even if you are careful, tires are turned a bit, it slips, tire spins, catches and that sudden free spinning and then stopping will make things break pretty easy.

Need to chat, shoot me a PM as we have done before.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:18 PM
Banned

Yes, it's full time 4wd ... I can let it sit for awhile, and just walk to school. When I said I couldn't afford to fix it right now, I mean that I will let it sit until I am able to.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:43 AM
Banned

thought it was just me.

well, i mean, what kind of stuff is out there to beef up the IFS? i know there is probably very little available for the 4th gen., but perhaps with some modifications other year parts would work. then again, i'm still not sure how anything so major could have been damaged by what i was doing ... and crossing my fingers that maybe it's something much more simple. i would hate to be afraid to take the truck off road!
Old 10-06-2005, 08:53 AM
Contributing Member

breaking is part of the process .. yeah it sucks, and sometimes gets expensive. But you learn from the experience and become better at wheeling.

You've probably done as much as anyone when it comes to wheeling a 4th gen ... I wouldn't sweat it.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:11 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by r0cky
I'm going to redo the suspension as well, as the OME setup in the rear is really really bad/stiff.
As I've told you many times before, I will be happy to swap out to the soft springs gratis. That was the deal from the beginning.

This is a really stupid question I'm sure, but, is it safe to continue driving with it like this? I don't mean off road or anything, but on-road, is it still safe?
Not that you're not self-sufficient, but I'd be happy to eyeball it for you. I'll be re-gearing & locking the front of Phils 4Runner Sunday at the house, that would be an easy time to take a peek.

Driving a lot wouldn't be recommended- if the break is in a joint, it's just a matter of time before the boot quits keeping the joint in there- then it's a major safety issue.

CV swap is easy, no more than 15-30 minutes (depending on if you use air tools ), you'll likely need to order one for next day pick-up. Try O'Reilly's or AutoZone. Figure about $90-95 bucks plus $100 core for your broken one.

It's always a good idea to keep one or two inner clips as spares, they may break off on removal (that always sucks). Some gear oil to top it off & you're set.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:15 AM
Banned

Thanks Chris, let me think about it a little and do some more poking around. I'll keep that all in mind though.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:28 AM

As far as upgrades go..... 1st and 2nd gen runners can run Porsche cv's. They are pretty much bulletproof. They are used on sand buggys with big corvette motors and IRS. So, you know it would hold up to yota power. I believe it's about 1,000.00 for me to get the custom cv's for my rig. They are basically porsche cv's splined to adapt to our axles.

Not sure if there i anything for the 4th gen yet, but maybe something our there would fit.....
Old 10-06-2005, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

Don't sweat it, I broke my first axle in Colorado and fixed it at camp. With much help from friends I can now replace an axle on my own in about 30 minutes or less.

Its no huge deal, just think, when you break again, you will have a spare or 2 and be able to fix it on the trail.

BTW, indestructable CV's is an oxymoron, but they can be beefed up. Are you the first to break a 4th gen axle? Unless Lance has broken one? I can't remember anyone breaking one before now. Congrats on breaking it! It's a big step in your wheeling life...
Old 10-06-2005, 03:35 PM
Banned

While the thought of the cost and the fact that if it's broken it happened really easily are not fun thoughts, I do look forward to getting in there and taking things apart and learning more about this part of my truck.

I'm sure I'm not the first to break a 4th gen. axle ... I dunno.

Anyway, looking forward to this weekend, hopefully my friend will be able to come over and help me so I don't resort to using a pickle fork on the entire thing!
Old 10-06-2005, 08:01 PM

thought it was just me.

well, i mean, what kind of stuff is out there to beef up the IFS? i know there is probably very little available for the 4th gen., but perhaps with some modifications other year parts would work. then again, i'm still not sure how anything so major could have been damaged by what i was doing ... and crossing my fingers that maybe it's something much more simple. i would hate to be afraid to take the truck off road!
Beefing IFS is like peeing you pants, everyone can see you did it, but only you can feel how much it sucks.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
Beefing IFS is like peeing you pants, everyone can see you did it, but only you can feel how much it sucks.
that's too funny.

and i couldn't agree with you more. my ifs was reasonably built strength wise for a 3rd gen with manual hub conversion, CV unlimited shafts, and reasonable lift. oddly enough i spent more on all of that stuff for basically another 2" of clearance than i did for the entire 1983 lifted 4x4 pickup that i just sold!

i really believe that there isn't anything you can do to really strengthen the ifs set-up on these trucks. most people will never break them anyway, those who do will break them regardless of what is under it.

Last edited by justinh; 10-06-2005 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Flygtenstein

nicely put, hadn't heard that analogy before...i'll have to remember that...
Old 10-06-2005, 09:46 PM

Dude, my pants are drenched and it feels great to me!!!
Old 10-06-2005, 10:08 PM
Banned

how much different is changing cvs on a 4th gen from a 3rd gen?
Old 10-06-2005, 10:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by garrett1478
how much different is changing cvs on a 4th gen from a 3rd gen?
It's the same. Even a 2nd gen and 1st gen IFS are all basically the same, that flange with the studs goes in with the same clip as the newer stuff.

Quick Reply: Sweet, I broke my CV!