03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Newbie questions, 2003 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie questions, 2003 4Runner

Dup from the Newbie forum... Sorry but have not got any replies over there :-(

Couple questions about my 2003 4Runner:

1) Is it difficult to change the brake pads? Anything special required?
ref: I've changed pads many times on my motorcycles, but never on a car. Owners Manual says that some sort of adjustment is required for the rear, after pad change.
2) Is there an On-line parts schematic available, which would show me a exploded view of all the parts on this vehical, with the part numbers listed so that I can re-order them when needed?
3) How do I reset (turn off) the Yellow "Maint" light on the dash, after having done an oil change?
4) Is there an inexpensive Clymer-type Maintenance Manual available? Toyota said that they only know of the offical Toyota Service Manual, which costs several hundred bucks!
Old 04-21-2010, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ALEX_B
Dup from the Newbie forum... Sorry but have not got any replies over there :-(

Couple questions about my 2003 4Runner:

1) Is it difficult to change the brake pads? Anything special required?
ref: I've changed pads many times on my motorcycles, but never on a car. Owners Manual says that some sort of adjustment is required for the rear, after pad change.
2) Is there an On-line parts schematic available, which would show me a exploded view of all the parts on this vehical, with the part numbers listed so that I can re-order them when needed?
3) How do I reset (turn off) the Yellow "Maint" light on the dash, after having done an oil change?
4) Is there an inexpensive Clymer-type Maintenance Manual available? Toyota said that they only know of the offical Toyota Service Manual, which costs several hundred bucks!

1) I have not done it, but it looks simple enough in the manuals.
2) There are PDF versions of the Factory Service Manual floating around with exploded views, but I don't htink it shows part numbers.
3)Hold down the odometer reset button while you turn on the ignition. It will take about 5 seconds then it will blink and go off. (Make sure you are on odometer mode, not trip mode). There should be instructions in your owner's manual for this.
4)Both Chilton and Haynes have manuals. Also, the Factory Serivce Manual can be purchased as a CD online for cheap, or downloaded free from various sources.